2020 Presidential Election

lowendlinux

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
POTUS really hasn't stopped campaigning since he's been elected so I don't think there will be a (R) challenger to the ambitious incumbent especially if there is a "blue wave" which leads us to the (D) side.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/booker-possible-2020-candidate-under-attack-trump-heads-hollywood-campaign-n915636

Cory Booker

I think it's fairly obvious he wants the big chair he's young, attractive, a competent speaker, and has national name recognition but he doesn't seem to project the calm upbeat demeanor that attracts a broad spectrum of people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/us/politics/biden-2020-anita-hill-kavanaugh.html

Joe Biden

The elephant in the room if he decides to run he's going to suck every dollar out of the DNC as the anointed one, it'll be HRC v.2 albeit with more personal charisma. The last thing I personally want to see is two old dudes on stage competing to preside over a country that is trying to define itself with tech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/can-beto-turn-texas-blue-sure-when-a-stetson-grows-pink-ears/2018/09/30/b3046f9a-bce7-11e8-be70-52bd11fe18af_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.283f2b030263

Beto O'Rourke

Whether he "Turns Texas Blue" or not I think is irrelevant, his campaign has always seemed less about the Senate and more about national practice and getting his name out. If he beats Cruz in Texas it'll give him some star power and a lot of momentum. He has all of Booker's qualities without his drawbacks, he sort of reminds me of Clinton in '92 and none of his baggage (so far). I think if he looses and stays in front of the cameras he's a contender and if he wins it'll probably be his to loose.

Who else is out there that has the name recognition (to non-political junkies) that can compete with Trump/Booker/Biden, and is anyone of the (R) side going to take a shot at DJT?

Reactions: Rhonindk and hulugu

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Who else is out there that has the name recognition (to non-political junkies) that can compete with Trump/Booker/Biden, and is anyone of the (R) side going to take a shot at DJT?
I would love to see Tammy Duckworth take a shot at it, but seeing that she may have a couple more surgeries coming up, plus just had a baby, I don't know if she would be up to the challenge of that office. She could easily take Trump down and beat him (hell, she could do that in her sleep), but I don't know if physically she can handle it.

This is one of those times where I hope I am wrong, and she is up to the task.

BL.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'd like to see Kasich challenge Trump. As for the Democrats, there has been such a lack of leadership due to political inbreeding and cronyism that I fear for the future.
I had thought for awhile that Ben Sasse might take him on. But I have been disappointed by his party line behavior in so many instances that I now just regard his occasional public taking on of Trump (for being crude and rude and for assorted other unPrez behavior) as a kind of bookmark for "just in case, and after I get re-elected" kinda thing.

On Democratic Party chances: I sometimes think they've some more lessons to learn. It's interesting that a lot of local elections have been won by progressives. I think they need to realize they're more slo-go as they try to move the bench-building though, since the country has moved far right since last time Dems had a lot of power on the ground in wards and town councils.

Those fixated on a Clinton star turn since 2008 (and running off playbooks and contacts that go back to the 1990s) are less visible at the very top of the DNC now but they are by no means gone from the political landscape in assorted elective offices, party slots and out there in donor land. I did not appreciate Clinton's initial offer after her 2016 loss to put up "an umbrella PAC" over several progressive groups trying to get some traction with donors. Anyone who runs a PAC runs the show that PAC makes wherever it goes.

I will go nuts if the female Dem Senators buy into any sort of "let's all get behind this one or that one" just as the 2020 races shape up. Still not convinced they all signed that letter urging Clinton to run with true enthusiasm the last time around. Depends who was bringing around the letter.. someone with the power to dole out Senatorial re-election campaign funds?

"Sure, sign me up, I definitely want Hillary to run, I love being a Senator and serving my state"

I want to see Democrats, men or women, who do want a chance at our Oval Office to step out there and show us what they think as individuals, propose feasible improvements for ordinary folk, speak from heart, take risks in front of the crowds. You know, like candidates used to do when they were genuine articles. If they can't do that without a script then they can't beat the winger in chief Donald Trump anyway. If they can, one of them can trounce him because he can't just wing it this time, he's running on a track record that despite his fakery, is real enough for some down to earth pocketbook voters to poke holes in.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
The way the (D) have acted since the last election you could not pay me to vote for one and give them even a smidgen of power.......

I guess I'll see who the nominee is and decide from there.. A conservative (D) maybe but these radical left, resist, obstruct, tantrum throwing (D)? Pass!

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The way the (D) have acted since the last election you could not pay me to vote for one and give them even a smidgen of power.......

I guess I'll see who the nominee is and decide from there.. A conservative (D) maybe but these radical left, resist, obstruct, tantrum throwing (D)? Pass!
So, you prefer the amoral, corrupt, incompetent Republican to any possible Democrat?

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
So, you prefer the amoral, corrupt, incompetent Republican to any possible Democrat?
Find a democrat that isnt extreme-left with some common sense ideas and a lot of people will happily vote for them. I sure would. But, man oh man.... its tough to find "reasonable" democrats these days. Its all about high taxes, free stuff, massive regulaations and pandering to what the UN and other nations want. Not good.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Find a democrat that isnt extreme-left with some common sense ideas and a lot of people will happily vote for them. I sure would. But, man oh man.... its tough to find "reasonable" democrats these days..
Bingo! Like I said, of the possible (D) candidates I'll either vote for Trump again or write in Mickey Mouse....

Maybe they'll run a non tantrum throwing, non resisting, non obstructing, non far left candidate but I doubt it...

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Find a democrat that isnt extreme-left with some common sense ideas and a lot of people will happily vote for them. I sure would. But, man oh man.... its tough to find "reasonable" democrats these days. Its all about high taxes, free stuff, massive regulaations and pandering to what the UN and other nations want. Not good.
You’d be lucky to find a democrat who’s left of centre, let alone extreme left.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Bingo! Like I said, of the possible (D) candidates I'll either vote for Trump again or write in Mickey Mouse....

Maybe they'll run a non tantrum throwing, non resisting, non obstructing, non far left candidate but I doubt it...
So then you wouldn't vote for Trump again? ;)

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
That guy that admitted to groping a drunken high school girl (unable to give consent) on New Year's and who hates gay people and a woman that slept with someone thirty years her senior to get into the political spotlight?

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/01/09/cory-booker-pointing-the-finger-at-gays/

No thanks.
If a person has a relationship with someone that isn't unwanted and consensual, who the hell cares about the age? Obviously, you have no problem with Melania doing the same damned thing to your man in office.

Also, don't get me started on groping, when you have your man openly admitting to doing so, on tape.

Please don't make calling out your hypocrisy this easy. Please don't.

BL.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
If a person has a relationship with someone that isn't unwanted and consensual, who the hell cares about the age? Obviously, you have no problem with Melania doing the same damned thing to your man in office.

Also, don't get me started on groping, when you have your man openly admitting to doing so, on tape.

Please don't make calling out your hypocrisy this easy. Please don't.

BL.
It's really about the double standards on that liberal merry-go-round that gets me...

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
She could be a very strong candidate. But probably as a VP nominee to start. Still on the young side.
Agreed. I just wonder if the injuries she's sustained are taking a toll on her and if so, would the position of POTUS or even vPOTUS be too much. I could understand her turning it down, especially given the fact that she just had a child, but she would be a very strong candidate.

BL.