Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 16, 2017.

?

Who will run on the dem ticket (unlimited choice)

1. Kamala Harris

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Tulsi

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Clinton 3rd time is a charm

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Go to hell midget

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  5. Renz should be a moderator so he can ban you

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Midget for moderator but the only if he stops posting

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  7. You are such a mini troll..!

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so who will the democrats run other than Hillary?

Kamala Harris would mean trump wins
    Tulsi looks appealing but I still don't know much about her

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Tulsi Gabbard is a progressive Democrat. She's who confronted DWS at the DNC about the lean towards Clinton, and resigned her vice chair position when DWS dissed her and said "don't make it all about you."

So, you should like Tulsi, all things previously posted by you taken into due consideration :p

Anyway she would come highly recommended by @aaronvan if he were still around. Not completely sure of all his reasons.

She's hard working, has served in a combat zone in Iraq, thinks we should not do regime change wars....

and much much more, not all of which you'd approve of but hey, no one is perfect.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Voted for tulsi in the poll. And updated the poll with new option :D

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Tulsi seems like a solid choice, but isn't she a tad young? I don't think she'll be 40 by the time 2020 rolls around.

I don't know anything about Kamala Harris. I have a suspicion the dems will trott out some re-tread like Hillary, Bernie or Joe Biden.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heh so far looks like you are who's winning. Nice stacking of the choices there. Being loyal, I voted in a friendly way for you go to hell since I doubt Renz is gonna make it back here :D

I'd say maybe Senator Amy Klobuchar has a shot in 2020 if she wants to run. She works hard, has name recognition amongst politically aware voters, she's from the midwest... and she's already been out to Iowa and up to New Hampshire to scout around I guess.

It's really hard to say right now who all might run, thanks to all the uncertainty about how the Republican legislative agenda --leaving out Trump's pro/con effect-- is going to shake out.

And then there's the matter of the DNC not having shaken itself out either. They're probably trying to see which way the country leans as Trump reveals more of what he means by "drain the swamp".

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump IS the swamp :p
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    Thought 34 was the youngest you could be? I know older might seem more experienced but then again look at McCain. Way too old and should be in a mental institution already

7. zin macrumors 6502

Tulsi Gabbard is the one who met with Assad and demolished the rebels narrative, introduced a bill to lock down arms to terrorists, supports a variant of Glass-Steagall, and criticised the DNC for its rigged primaries.

Exactly why "they" won't let her be the nominee.

8. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Big fan of Tulsi. But no point in her being elected, when she would face an extremely hostile congress, republican or dem.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

She'd definitely make the minimum age requirement, but I honestly think there are a lot of people that would have a problem with the first female president also being the youngest president elected. I'd consider voting for her over Trump depending on how the next 3 years play out though.

You're right, the age extreme in the other direction is probably a worse problem. I had no problem with McCain as president in 2008, but Palin as president scared the heck out of me. I feel like she sank that ticket in a way that probably wouldn't have happened if he wasn't that old.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Most of congress needs to be flushed from BOTH sides

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You're probably right, and it's a darned shame because someone like her is probably who this country needs.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Or exactly why they would ;)

13. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Come on, do we have to already think about 2020?

14. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Agreed. Somewhat difficult to build a new centrist party from ground up, in such a large country. But that is likely what it would take.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There sure are a lot of names we've heard before and they are not just Clinton or Sanders. A lot of them are governors like NY's Cuomo and VA's McAuliffe. Ambitious and possibly all wrong for the moment at least from progressive Dem's pov regarding 2020 primaries. My bias could be showing.

You'd think Tim Kaine would run but his Senate seat is up in 2018 so first he needs to keep that if he plans to run for the Presidency in 2020 as other than the guy who declined to run for re-election. Could be tricky w/ charges of why run for Senate if obviously ran for VP before so plans to run for Prez, etc. I like Kaine but again my bias probably showing since I can admire a social justice warrior and he is one.

Elizabeth Warren... Cory Booker... Sherrod Brown... they have name recognition and track records. During Democratic primaries, of course this gets tricky. Intraparty warfare, so unattractive as the Republicans well know. I don't know if the country's ready to see Booker take on Cuomo, for instance. By time they get done if either one wins he could be toast in the general. So do we just get up there and chat each other up as potential candidates? Thanks, Andy, I like your necktie too. Sigh.

Yah Tulsi is only 36 now.. and she's possibly too progressive for the moment we're in, since Bernie did not collect the Presidency. She endorsed Bernie when she resigned her DNC officer's post. But, she could be a keeper going forward. She could drive over some of the guys in the GOP that talk neocon trash and have never served in the military, that's for sure. It's hard to say how she sees her path forward. The senior Senator in Hawaii was just relected for six years, and the junior Senator won election in 2013. She could stay in the House awhile or maybe team up on a Dem ticket as VP slot, or just campaign hard and get a cabinet position, maybe Veterans' Affairs. Or hey, go for it and win. Enough already with the old fogeys.

Kamala Harris is maybe more of a possibility to run in 2020, although she too might be too far left for the general election. But she, like Gabbard, would make other Democrats in the 2020 field be honest and stay left of where Clinton was actually coming from. Enough so that she's already such a magnet for criticism from the right that you'd think we were six months from the 2020 primaries. Harris has some pretty good Senate committee assignments (select committee on intel among them). She's 52 years old.

Tammy Duckworth could run. Another combat veteran, a US Senator from Illinois. She is 49. Her credentials as far as eligibility were run through the mill when she was running for Senate (she was born in Thailand but to a US citizen father). We could probably expect to see all that raised again but people are tired of the birther nonsense now, it got worn out over Obama. If Ted Cruz can run, so can Duckworth...

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

She'd probably tick off establishment dems more than Bernie did.

17. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

A better educated electorate would help. My sister firmly believes herself to be conservative. But her actual beliefs are center-left. Possibly not an isolated case.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The MONEY needs to be flushed. But we got a court says free speech backed by money is all good and even copacetic so these guys gonna keep sucking it up while it still flows off K street into their pockets.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I would physically vote trump over kamala any day of the week

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think you would vote trump over about anyone right?

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You think wrong........par for the course for you :D

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I see a lot of that around here in female voters who are married with kids. They don't speak of their politics while their husbands are talking and they often take their voting cues from the guy. But, when they talk amongst women at coffee klatsches,,,, they are not conservatives. How to fix that, I do not know.

Education yeah, but the way pitches get made sometimes they drive people the other way.

23. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I picked CLINTON because I know how much you love her. Plus, I have no idea who the others are.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Missing option: @jkcerda's grandmother's recipes for POTUS. ;)

BL.