Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.3 update to developers, three weeks after seeding the second 10.12.3 beta and almost a month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.2, the second update to the macOS Sierra operating system.

The macOS Sierra 10.12.3 update is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or through the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

macOS-10.12.3-Beta-800x500.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the 10.12.3 update "improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac." No specific changes, bug fixes, or feature additions were discovered in the first two betas, but we'll update this post should any new features be found in the third beta.

Oftentimes, with bug fixes, it's hard to tell what's included until Apple supplies detailed release notes with a release. The previous update, macOS 10.12.2, introduced several important bug fixes to resolve battery life issues, fix graphics problems, and more.

Available since September, macOS Sierra is the latest Mac operating system. It includes Siri support, Apple Pay for the web, Universal Clipboard, Apple Watch auto unlocking, improved iCloud Drive integration, Picture-in-Picture multitasking, and dozens of smaller features that can be found in our macOS Sierra roundup.

Update: The third public beta is also available.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.3 to Developers

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Beta train! Chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga, woot! Woot!

(I can't install the beta anymore after reinstalling macOS from scratch last week. The beta enablement tool on developer.apple.com doesn't appear to work for some reason.)

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I hope there is a fix with manually adding songs to iOS devices with iTunes and oh yes the side bar that is now invisible and bright :(

Reactions: Discopants

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

(I can't install the beta anymore after reinstalling macOS from scratch last week. The beta enablement tool on developer.apple.com doesn't appear to work for some reason.)

That's why Sierra itself feels like it's a beta.

Runkel

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2016
Also hurry up and come out with a device to compete with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
What about your iPhone? On iPhone 6s and 7 you can talk to Siri every time.
What about an Apple Watch?

Phil Schiller is right, if he says, the best personal assistant ist the one you have with you.

Despite of that, Siri still needs lots of improvements to compete to other assistants. Especially if you don't talk english to her.

Reactions: MLVC

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

WTH? macOS 10.12.3 Dev Beta 3 just popped up in my available updates.

So, why didn't beta 2 appear last week when I reinstalled?

Just in case ... hey, Apple peeps that might be monitoring this thread:

- New (and better) mac Mini, please. Bring back a quad core option.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Bring back the estimated time left on the battery.. the removal of that was such a troll move by Apple.
I second this. Until then, I found a workaround that adds the time remaining back to the menu bar.

[pasted from OS X Daily]

Restore Battery.menu from a Prior MacOS Release
This one is a bit more advanced and involves mucking around in the system folder. It’s also trickier because you must have the Battery.menu file from MacOS 10.12.1 or earlier after you have updated to 10.12.2. If you plan ahead of time, you can simply copy the file yourself from the following location:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/

Locate the “Battery.menu” file from 10.12.1 or earlier and make a copy of it to your desktop or elsewhere easy to find.

After updating to MacOS 10.12.2, you will then restore your just backed up version of “Battery.menu” back into the /Menu Extras/ directory.

get-battery-life-indicator-macos-610x385.jpg

You might need to disable SIP to accomplish this process successfully (be sure you enable it again afterwards), or boot into Recovery mode and move/copy the earlier version of Battery.menu after updating. I went with the latter approach, and it works fine.

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 2.24.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Bring back the estimated time left on the battery.. the removal of that was such a troll move by Apple.
If it was inaccurate in many instances, is it somehow useful and better to have something that doesn't really provide any useful information (and can even provide misleading incorrect information)?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
@justperry, haha, I'd use a more realistic time remaining if I Photoshopped it! I updated my OP with the workaround. It probably isn't viable for most.

Reactions: justperry

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Version 16D25a

Edit: Seems like all AMD drivers have been updated, Modification Date on all is 06-01-2017.

Edit 2: Dug a bit deeper, all Graphic Drivers are updated, including AMD, Intel and Geforce.
I hope this fixes the bugs in the MacBook Pro 2016
[doublepost=1483993406][/doublepost]Has anyone installed is on their 2016 MacBook Pro?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
When is the so called AppleFS coming out? I thought that was one of the new features of Sierra...
AppleFS (APFS) has been in macOS Sierra since the beginning, but with several limitations that makes it impractical for most end users:
  • APFS volume cannot be a startup disk
  • You must use Terminal command to format a volume to APFS (not Disk Utility)
  • Filenames are case sensitive only (e.g., "iPhone.jpg" and "Iphone.jpg" are two different files), which causes compatibility issues with some apps
  • Missing Time Machine and FileVault support
I suspect macOS Sierra successor (as in 10.13, not 10.12.x) will remedy most, if not all, of these issues. I have been using APFS on external disk (which holds iTunes library) and I haven't run into any issues.

Reactions: tzm41

Remrod

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Version 16D25a

Edit: Seems like all AMD drivers have been updated, Modification Date on all is 06-01-2017.

Edit 2: Dug a bit deeper, all Graphic Drivers are updated, including AMD, Intel and Geforce.

Ohh my god!! Hell just froze!!!! This is unbelievable! New AMD drivers.... insane, never thought to see this happen *cries* :)
Hopefully they give some performance improvements and I wonder which driver version they have implemented with this new beta release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.