Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Thursday reopened a longstanding patent lawsuit related to Samsung copying the design of the iPhone nearly six years ago, following an order of certiorari from the U.S. Supreme Court, according to court documents filed electronically this week.

iphone-galaxy.jpg

The court will seek to determine the exact amount Samsung owes Apple for infringing upon the iPhone's patented design, including its rectangular front face with rounded edges and grid of colorful icons on a black screen. The previous $399 million damages judgment was overturned by the Supreme Court last month.

Apple's damages were calculated based on Samsung's entire profit from the sale of its infringing Galaxy smartphones, but the Supreme Court ruled it did not have enough info to say whether the amount should be based on the total device, or rather individual components such as the front bezel or the screen.

It will now be up to the appeals court to decide. Apple last month said the lawsuit, ongoing since 2011, has always been about Samsung's "blatant copying" of its ideas, adding that it remains optimistic that the U.S. Court of Appeals will "again send a powerful signal that stealing isn't right."
The question before the Supreme Court was how to calculate the amount Samsung should pay for their copying. Our case has always been about Samsung's blatant copying of our ideas, and that was never in dispute. We will continue to protect the years of hard work that has made iPhone the world's most innovative and beloved product. We remain optimistic that the lower courts will again send a powerful signal that stealing isn't right.
Calvin Klein, Dieter Rams, Norman Foster, and over 100 other top designers filed an amicus brief in support of Apple, arguing the iPhone maker is entitled to all profits Samsung has earned from infringing designs. They cited a 1949 study showing more than 99% of Americans could identify a bottle of Coca-Cola by shape alone.

Article Link: Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit Over iPhone Design Officially Reopened

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Samsung's early Galaxy phones were shameless copies of the iPhone. It was borderline hilarious.

Their modern phones, not so much (although Samsung still totally copies). Will the damages affect profits from Galaxy phones currently on shelves (like the S7 Edge) or only the first-gen Galaxies?
[doublepost=1484324954][/doublepost]
Every time I see someone with an Android on the home screen, I think it's an iPhone.
What version of Android have you been looking at? ;)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
my wife's grandmother once asked me how to use her iPhone.
I looked and said it wasn't an iPhone but another brand using (maybe) Android for the OS.
she said "no, it is exactly like yours. i knew you'd be able to help me when i bought it"

all that said, this is getting old. and my commenting on this thread doesn't help. :facepalm: to myself.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Ironic that what was once a trademark design is now an eyesore with large bezels. The lawsuit has no base though since both Samsung and Apple evolved from PDAs that were rectangle with rounded corners and icon based OS.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Yay! This is great news for MacRumors! It means that the next few months won't be totally boring in the Apple news front.

I feel that Apple news recently has all been kinda... blah. Finally some action!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
my wife's grandmother once asked me how to use her iPhone.
I looked and said it wasn't an iPhone but another brand using (maybe) Android for the OS.
she said "no, it is exactly like yours. i knew you'd be able to help me when i bought it"

all that said, this is getting old. and my commenting on this thread doesn't help. :facepalm: to myself.

To be fair, no post on this forum is going to end this BS, even if one were to post a peer-reviewed scientific study on the similarities between Galaxy and iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.