Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook sold 30,000 shares of Apple stock this week, valued at $3.6 million based on the company's stock price of $120 at the time of the transactions, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission disclosure. The shares were sold as scheduled pursuant to Cook's predetermined trading plan.

tim_cook_hands_raised.jpg

Cook retains 1,009,809 company shares worth over $121 million based on Apple's current stock price following the sale.

A recent SEC filing revealed Cook was paid $8.7 million in 2016, which is $1.5 million less than he was paid in 2015. The decrease stems from Apple failing to meet its own target performance goals for both net sales and operating income in 2016, resulting in senior executives receiving only 89.5% of their cash incentives.

However, upon reaching his fifth anniversary as Apple CEO last year, Cook cashed in nearly $137 million in previously-awarded stock bonuses tied to both his tenure and Apple's performance under his leadership. Accordingly, after bonuses, Cook actually earned roughly $145 million last year, his biggest payout yet.

Yesterday, Apple analyst Neil Cybart opined that Cook and his inner circle are "doing what needs to be done in order to maintain Apple's relevancy," but he noted "there is room for improvement." He called out sporadic Mac and iPad updates, and slow progress with Siri, as two blemishes among others in its product strategy.
In attempt to add a bit of relative context to this subjective grading:

o Product Strategy: A-
o Product Pipeline/R&D: A
o Operations: B-
o Marketing/Storytelling: C+
o Culture: B+
o Public Face: A+
o Financials: B
In related shareholder news, the world's largest asset manager BlackRock has increased its stake in Apple and now holds 6.1% of outstanding shares in the company, up from 5.7% a year ago. Its 322,683,504 shares are valued at over $38.7 billion based on Apple's current stock price.

Article Link: Tim Cook Cashes in $3.6 Million in Stock as Respected Analyst Gives Him Passing Grades

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Product Strategy: A-
Product Pipeline/R&D: A

Based on what??? Its a complete secret..........if it exists.

In my opinion he get a healthy pass, though that is cause he keeps bringing in the profits, so financials should be A for milking the existing product line and maximising profits.

Though to give him an A- and A for words.......please.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
1a9.gif

Do you understand how supply and demand works?

Nice gif, to substitute for an argument.

Sure I do, I'm glad you are a SJW in defense of everything related to Tim Cook, an every day man,

A lot of people in the world (I.e. All iPhone users) could 'demand' AirPods, but if Foxconn is only shipping/'supplying' 1000 units every few weeks, that's hardly success. That's a huge wedge between high demand and low supply, meanwhile the price isn't being adjusted accordingly in a traditional theoretical supply/demand chart, where they could be making hundreds and hundreds and capitalizing on the opportunity (i'm not faulting Apple for not price gauging and price discriminating, but this is what would follow in a closed model without taking into account any real world market factors), it is the static $159 it will be up until the day before gen2,

Especially coming from a supposed supply chain guru CEO, this is weak.

Same with 7+ in short supply, for months. And Touchbar macs,

And Smart Keyboard with 9.7 pro launch.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yesterday, Apple analyst Neil Cybart opined that Cook and his inner circle are "doing what needs to be done in order to maintain Apple's relevancy," but he noted "there is room for improvement." He called out sporadic Mac and iPad updates, and slow progress with Siri, as two blemishes among others in its product strategy.

How can he say this, while giving the scores of "A" for product strategy.

Reactions: S G

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Nice gif, for an argument.

A lot of people in the world (I.e. All iPhone users) could 'demand' AirPods, but if Foxconn is only shipping/'supplying' 1000 units every few weeks, that's hardly success.

And nice strawman, for an argument. I'll bite, though. Let's break it down:

1) There aren't any sales numbers released yet, let alone how many are being manufactured. So for you to say "if Foxconn is only making x amount..." is utterly hypothetical.

2) No company would deliberately withhold stock or not increase manufacturing numbers to somehow artificially boost hype. People have been saying the same things about Apple for years, because that's a much easier paranoid conspiracy to grip, rather than the obvious answer: Apple's products are pretty darn popular.

3) Foxconn don't even manufacture AirPods, it's Inventec. And there was a recent article about them increasing manufacturing to cope with the ludicrous demand: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/30/airpods-increasing-production/

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Well I mean there was bound to be someone who approves of the job he's done despite the state of the Mac and iPad lines
There quite a few people on here approves of Cook too. Here is a my recent quote on another thread in response to someone basically saying the Mac line doesn't really matter at this point.

You are probably right, a lot more people use the iOS devices the Mac line.

Me on the other hand use iOS devices because I love my Macs. I use Apple's ecosystem, because I love my Macs. If Apple metaphorically or literally dumps the Mac line, then I, a long time fan of Apple, will dump their ecosystem.

While there may not be many people like myself, I think the Apple's long-time core fan base is very similar.

So, you may say, why would it matter if Apple loses its relatively small Mac fan base when they have a huge mobile business? The issue is that time has shown that the phone market is hard to hold. Phones are trendy products, and besides being in a particular ecosystem, it is relatively easy to switch from one brand to another.

Look at Nokia and BB. Ten years ago, not too many were predicting that they would be were they are today. I am not saying Apple is going to go out of business any time soon, but neglecting long time great products like the AirPort, iPods, Macs, and displays, could drive away their core customers.

Basically, I wouldn't dismiss the Mac as irrelevant to Apple.

Reactions: Aldaris

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

1) There aren't any sales numbers released yet, let alone how many are being manufactured. So for you to say "if Foxconn is only making x amount..." is utterly hypothetical.

2) No company would deliberately withhold stock or not increase manufacturing numbers to somehow artificially boost hype. People have been saying the same things about Apple for years, because that's a much easier paranoid conspiracy to grip, rather than the obvious answer: Apple's products are pretty darn popular.

3) Foxconn don't even manufacture AirPods, it's Inventec. And there was a recent article about them increasing manufacturing to cope with the ludicrous demand: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/30/airpods-increasing-production/

Is it conceivable they use other manufacturing suppliers on top of inventec?
Like they have with iDevices using pegatron? You're nit picking.

So because there aren't any sales # you are allowed to equally though now concretely conclude that supply is rapidly catching up with an unprecedented scratch that ludicrous, demand?

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Supply. Chain. Genius. That’s the moniker regularly applied to him. What it means is that he should have products on the shelves to prevent customers going elsewhere.
He’s been a Supply. Chain. Genius., for years. Thought he’d have mastered it by now.

Last edited:

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Nice gif, to substitute for an argument.

Sure I do, I'm glad you are a SJW in defense of everything related to Tim Cook, an every day man,

A lot of people in the world (I.e. All iPhone users) could 'demand' AirPods, but if Foxconn is only shipping/'supplying' 1000 units every few weeks, that's hardly success. That's a huge wedge between high demand and low supply, meanwhile the price isn't being adjusted accordingly in a traditional theoretical supply/demand chart, where they could be making hundreds and hundreds and capitalizing on the opportunity (i'm not faulting Apple for not price gauging and price discriminating, but this is what would follow in a closed model without taking into account any real world market factors), it is the static $159 it will be up until the day before gen2,

Especially coming from a supposed supply chain guru CEO, this is weak.

Same with 7+ in short supply, for months. And Touchbar macs,

And Smart Keyboard with 9.7 pro launch.

Maybe, just maybe, bleeding edge tech is really difficult to manufacture at scale at first. Even if you are Apple.

But yeah, I guess you have your official numbers direct from Foxconn which paint a diffferent picture.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

McDonkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Silly analyst, don't you know that until Apple is making iPads that are an inch thick, have mouse and file system support, and run macOS, and until Apple makes a Mac that has a user-replaceable GTX 1080, that Apple is doomed and Tim Cook should be fired?

Reactions: AngerDanger

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
In my opinion he get a healthy pass, though that is cause he keeps bringing in the profits, so financials should be A for milking the existing product line and maximising profits.

He could be referring to long-term projections from the data in the financials. I haven't looked at them in a while, but there could be negative trends, or other things that show that even though there are profits now, the future isn't as bright.

But, again, this is a guess. His whole grading system looks like a Tim Cook wish list, and not reality.

Reactions: Aldaris and MH01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.