Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes122logo.jpg
Alongside macOS Sierra 10.12.3, iOS 10.2.1, watchOS 3.1.3, and tvOS 10.1.1, Apple has released an update to its iTunes software for Mac and Windows, introducing iTunes 12.5.5.

Apple does not provide much information on what's included in the iTunes 12.5.5 update. According to the company's release notes, iTunes 12.5.5 introduces "minor app and performance improvements."

iTunes 12.5.5 can be downloaded immediately from the Software Update feature in the Mac App Store. The Windows version can be downloaded using the "Check for Update" feature built into the iTunes help menu.

iTunes 12.5.5 follows iTunes 12.5.4, which was released in December and introduced support for the TV app and the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.5.5 With 'Minor App and Performance Improvements'

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
It would be nice if Apple updated the Windows version to not always have iTunes Music sync / login issues where the user can't play their music AND updated it to look good on HiDPI displays instead of looking old and lame.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Time to test the video sync error now! Here's hoping!

Edit: Nope.
Did you already installed iOS 10.2.1?

The only true fix seems to be (1) make sure beta profile and beta iOS not installed on iOS devices, (2) reset all contents and settings, (3) painstakingly setup iOS device new, losing lots of data in the process.

theoretically

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
LA, CA, USA
Are shuffle and other operating problems fixed in 12.5.5? And is an iOS sync still generating an x-1 duplicate playlist? I'm still waiting in 12.5.3... I don't use Apple Music or music in the Cloud or Apple Radio and am hoping to hear from an offline-only user! Thanks

Reactions: BriSpe

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Whoa what? Is Genius back??
OMG, really! What did they do?

I am away from my computer for several more hours but I have been active on the iTunes Genius issue since last fall when I opened a case about Genius not working with new music, started a reddit thread, macrumors thread, Apple forum thread and getting people to send in their feedback to Apple.

Are they listening now?

EDIT - (6 hours later)

Sigh, just updated iTunes & Genius, no major changes in the genius playlists. Genius mixes look slightly different and Apple is definitely making genius more accessible after hiding it for so long, so maybe that is a good sign for things to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Unless there's a fix for DPI scaling on Windows I'm not interested.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Did you already installed iOS 10.2.1?

The only true fix seems to be (1) make sure beta profile and beta iOS not installed on iOS devices, (2) reset all contents and settings, (3) painstakingly setup iOS device new, losing lots of data in the process.

I've been on that. It's a known issue according to Apple since they close my bug report as a duplicate. iTunes is looking for the videos app, which doesn't exist.

Reactions: tk421

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Is there a way to get iTunes to rebuild its library? For whatever reason it seems to be losing track of what songs are where and I'm getting other signs of corruption. I tried pulling out the .xml file and importing it, but iTunes just hangs. I haven't tried this update yet but I'm not sure whether to update before or after I fix my library...

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
They found a few interface items that were not completely white #dddddd and changed them to #ffffff ;)
[doublepost=1485217189][/doublepost]
I just want my iTunes 10 back!
11.4 was best for me. Except none of the updates fixed the ktext USB hotspot bug. Kept having to revert to the previous 10.x version.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I really struggle with the current version of iTunes. Whoever thought it was intuitive should be transferred to landscaping. I can't seem to get it to sync what I want. And navigation is incredibly frustrating for me.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is there a way to get iTunes to rebuild its library? For whatever reason it seems to be losing track of what songs are where and I'm getting other signs of corruption. I tried pulling out the .xml file and importing it, but iTunes just hangs. I haven't tried this update yet but I'm not sure whether to update before or after I fix my library...
I think option+click will allow you to rebuild. Not 100% on that and am away from computer so I can't try it at the moment.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
yeah where did genius go? i used to be able to right click a song and say genius and boom insta-playlist

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
yeah where did genius go? i used to be able to right click a song and say genius and boom insta-playlist
I used to be able to right-click and select "show in finder" to get straight to the file. Tried that the other day and no dice. Had to use Spotlight to find the file instead.

Reactions: trifid

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

iTunes is a little buggy. I store piles of songs locally that are in a playlist and the playlist is synced to my iPhone. It puts all the songs on, then the next time I sync it removes only certain songs from the playlist and from the device. Kind of frustrating as I was short piles of songs while traveling back from Belize to Toronto today!

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Reactions: Craiguyver
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.