Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker Gamevice today debuted a collection of new mobile gaming controllers for the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Pro 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch, iPad Air, and iPad mini, which all come with updated thumbsticks, improved buttons, a lighter build, and a Lightning connector for simple connection to each iOS device. The original version of the controller launched for the iPhone 6s in 2015.

gamevice-1-800x244.jpg
The iPhone 7 Plus Gamevice controller

Gamevice's controllers work by placing an iPhone or iPad into the space between each side of the controller, and connecting the smartphone or tablet to the accessory with the iPhone's Lightning port. The controller itself also has a Lightning port on the outside, so users can keep their iOS device charged while playing. When not connected to power, the controller is powered directly from the battery of the iPhone or iPad.

Like traditional gaming controllers, Gamevice includes two thumbsticks, a directional pad, shoulder buttons, four ABYX face buttons, and a menu button. The thumbsticks on Gamevice's controllers are horizontally aligned, similar to those on the PlayStation DualShock controllers. In addition to these features, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus versions of the controller have a headphone jack.

gamevice-2-800x405.jpg
The iPad Pro 12.9-inch Gamevice controller

The full list of updates includes:

[*]It's lighter. The iPhone now powers Gamevice, meaning that it doesn't need its own battery. What's more, it draws no more power than headphones do.

[*]It's got Lightning. Out goes USB port, in comes a Lightning port - meaning that you can charge your iPhone and your Gamevice at the same time.

[*]It's 'thumbier'. The thumb sticks have been upgraded to be more ergonomic and comfortable, giving improved control.

[*]Full support for iPhone 7. Gamevice for iPhone now supports every iPhone since iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Its patented design turns your iPhone into a mobile video game console.

Within its own app on the iOS App Store, called Gamevice Live [Direct Link], the company has curated a collection of apps that support its controllers, now reaching over 900 games. Titles include Minecraft: Pocket Edition, Assassin's Creed: Identity, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Bully: Anniversary Edition, and more.

The iPad Pro and iPad Air Gamevice controllers are available today on Apple.com, and the iPhone 7 and iPad mini versions will launch on January 31. All models cost $99.95.

gamevice-3-800x366.jpg
The iPad mini Gamevice controller

Some users have noted on Twitter that the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Gamevice controllers have already begun appearing in some Apple retail stores ahead of their January 31 launch date.

Article Link: Gamevice Reveals New and Improved Gaming Controllers for iPhone 7, iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
I would buy one if I had an iPhone 7. Listen/game at the same time as charging. Also, it comes with come cool buttons.

superberg

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
Have they fixed the janky X button on the iPhone model? Unless you hit it just right, it doesn't respond.

It's probably a similar issue to the original PSP, where the button was offset from its target on the circuit board.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like the real way to take off with mobile gaming is to make a great game and a great controller, and sell them together. Offer a steady stream of great games that use your great controller.

Until then, you'll never get serious games on mobile.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
This would be an instant buy if it could somehow use the phone to pass through the connection to ATV4. I'm eager to get a controller for the ATV but can't bring myself to spend the money on a dedicated controller. A snap on iPhone controller which also worked on ATV4 would be a great buy.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
This kind of reminds me of the new Nintendo switch, or the Wii U controller. Nyko-Wii-U-Power-Stand.jpg Switch-gamepad.jpg

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Any serious game is probably going to be GPU/CPU intensive, AKA a battery killer. Then since the controller is powered by the phone, the battery drain would potentially be like a rock in water (sink really fast). Solution? Add a lightning port to charge while playing. Somehow being tethered to an outlet while playing seems... um... not optimal.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
That's actually very encouraging. Not only is Apple licensing female Lightning ports, but it's inexpensive enough that a manufacturer like this is willing to buy two Lightning ports, where USB would have worked just fine (considering their power draw claims). Looks like it has a 3.5mm headphone jack as well, so an adapter is not needed to use wired headphones with it, and charge at the same time. Of course another explanation is that they added the Lightning port for Lightning headphones, which would be very telling about the number of their customers and people in general who use Lightning headphones that come with the iPhone 7.
[doublepost=1485279849][/doublepost]
This would be an instant buy if it could somehow use the phone to pass through the connection to ATV4. I'm eager to get a controller for the ATV but can't bring myself to spend the money on a dedicated controller. A snap on iPhone controller which also worked on ATV4 would be a great buy.

Do you know it doesn't connect to the ATV4 via AirPlay or BT?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Who even uses these?

I tried one and used it jailbroken with emulators...works well..

That said I wish Apple would give an F about this and be serious about truly endorsing the concept (to the point of 1st party controllers) in an effort to get real & known game development companies behind it more seriously.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I tried one and used it jailbroken with emulators...works well..

That said I wish Apple would give an F about this and be serious about truly endorsing the concept (to the point of 1st party controllers) in an effort to get real & known game development companies behind it more seriously.
I can see the appeal for jail broken phones. The amount of emulators you get you use.... ugh. Lol.

TheHorrorNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Edit : Didn't read whole post

Kbkbkb

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2019
I would buy one if I had an iPhone 7. Listen/game at the same time as charging. Also, it comes with come cool buttons.
[doublepost=1557281183][/doublepost]If I could give this 0 I would. Gamevice is an awful company. I bought 2 controllers for my kids’ birthdays and they were broken in 4-5 months. The warranty is only good for 14 days. 90 days in the US. That is a very bad warranty. Clearly, they do not believe that they have a quality product with a 14 day warranty. I spent 3 months with their customer service rep and they refused to replace the devices. I am begging you not to purchase from this company. The products are garbage and the customer service is equally bad. I spent $300 for my kids birthday gifts and now they have nothing. Gamevice did not care that they were gifts. I was looking to replace them and send back the old broken but relatively new products so they can check to see why they broke so quickly. Very sad, very disappointed. I have read many, many reviews of the same thing. Please be diligent in reading reviews in other platforms. I do not want other honest, hardworking people to be taken advantage of by this company. Disgusting!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.