Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Entertainment network Epix today launched an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV, allowing anyone who is subscribed to Epix through a cable provider access to the service's collection of premium film and television content (via Variety).

For those who haven't signed up for Epix yet and download the Apple TV app, they can get a four week free trial to test out the service, but afterwards will have to go through the same cable TV provider sign-up process if they wish to continue using Epix.

epix-apple-tv.jpg

Although it's taken a few years to launch, Epix CEO Mark Greenberg mentioned in a statement that the company is now "proud" to have its catalogue of content available for Apple TV users. The content includes around 2,000 movies and original television shows like "Berlin Station" and "Graves."
"Apple has been a renowned leader in shaping the digital landscape and I'm proud to make our content available on Apple TV," Mark Greenberg, Epix's president and CEO, said in a prepared statement.
The Apple TV app will allow Epix users to watch live TV, add videos to a queue, browse movie trailers, and more. Those interested in ordering Epix can visit the company's website to find out how to do so through compatible paid-TV providers.

Article Link: Entertainment Network 'Epix' Debuts App for Apple TV

UndefinedxJoker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
NJ
I don't really see the point of Apple TV anymore with smart tvs getting better and better. I know the interface is lacking but it is more than enough to save people $150 on an external box to attach to their tv.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
For those who haven't signed up for Epix yet and download the Apple TV app, they can get a four week free trial to test out the service, but afterwards will have to go through the same cable TV provider sign-up process if they wish to continue using Epix.

This is really nice and smart. I would have never even considered downloading this app, because I don't know anything about Epix, and didn't want to bother to give it a try.

Allowing users a month free to try it, without setting some type of auto enroll is nice. I am now going to give it a try, and if it is something I like, I will consider getting it.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Finally! Now we just need a TCM app for the Apple TV and it will have every app I need.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I don't really see the point of Apple TV anymore with smart tvs getting better and better. I know the interface is lacking but it is more than enough to save people $150 on an external box to attach to their tv.

If you are interested in app performance and feature updates at all, I would suggest not relying a smart tv. You are better off getting the best "dumb" TV you can afford. And make it smart with a set top box of your choosing.
[doublepost=1486568481][/doublepost]
And yet another app that Comcast doesn't support.

The list of TV providers for EPIX is very short. It has been that way for a long time.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
I hate the interface and performance of apps on smart tv it really comes down to personal preference and my appletv is my main device I consume video content on

Reactions: BeefCake 15

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
I hate the interface and performance of apps on smart tv it really comes down to personal preference and my appletv is my main device I consume video content on

I've had several AppleTVs and they are my only access to OTP content at my house (my TVs are older).

I recently bought my girlfriend a Hisense TV with Roku built in. Since I did, we have all but stopped using the AppleTV at her house. The single remote integration is so nice. We can watch OTA TV or content from all the apps we care about, other than iTunes.

I still love Apple but it baffles me why they aren't building an AppleTV inside an actual TV - which I mean, why thy aren't licensing the software to hardware makers is beyond me.

If your TV has Roku built in you really have no reason to buy an extra box.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

But Smart TV hardware is more or less frozen in time. I bet an Apple TV 4 is faster and more powerful than most smart TVs, and of course there will be new Apple TVs (or Fire TVs, or whatever). I have a 2015 Samsung smart TV and though the TV itself is great and I'm happy with it, the built in "smart" functionality probably runs about 1/4 the speed of a 2015 Apple TV 4.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I still love Apple but it baffles me why they aren't building an AppleTV inside an actual TV - which I mean, why thy aren't licensing the software to hardware makers is beyond me.
This reminds me of....

Back in 2005, there was a rumor, that would pop back up a few more times over the years, about Apple making an television set. I think it was a 42" and a 52" plasma, which was a decent size for the time. Even after the first ATV came out a few years later, the television rumor would come back a few times, only to be abandoned by Apple just a few years ago.

Anyways, I think your idea would be nice, and I think Apple would consider it, as long as they did not give up much control of it.

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I believe apple pointed it out when they came out with the Apple TV, it is much easier to replace a small external box when it gets outdated than it is to replace your whole TV. Your Roku TV apps will likely be outdated in a year or two, and they are unlikely to get updates.

Your Apple TV is more likely to get updates longer, and once it does stop receiving updates you can always go out and replace it with the new version and keep using your existing TV.

Also, it is nice to have the same GIU/apps on all of your TVs. My Apple TV works the same on my old Hitachi CRT in the living room as it does on the Samsung Plasma in my bedroom, and the Panasonic Plasma in the basement, the Sharp LCD in my mother in laws spare bedroom, the LG LED in my parents spare bedroom, etc.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There are plenty of reasons.

I hate the interface and performance of apps on smart tv

But Smart TV hardware is more or less frozen in time.

If you are interested in app performance and feature updates at all, I would suggest not relying a smart tv.
All great points, and I would say the best point would be that Smart TVs lose support on updates quickly.

Also, if you buy apps on your ATV4, you can take those apps with you to a different TV, no matter what the brand is, and many you can bring to an additional ATV to hook up to a TV in a different room.

I take one of my ATVs with me when I travel and I hook them up to the TVs in the hotel rooms.

You are better off getting the best "dumb" TV you can afford. And make it smart with a set top box of your choosing.

I agree..... Although this is becoming harder. I was recently TV shopping, and every TV that met the criteria for the things I wanted end up being a Smart TV. The only upside to this was that I could use Amazon Prime Video.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm a bit disappointed that EPIX is only offering the app via cable subscription login. I would have thought they would go the route of HBO, Showtime and Starz and offer a subscription for us cord cutters.

Nevertheless, I'll check out the free month that they are offering since I'm curious about Berlin Station.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
For those that don't know, you get Epix with a Hulu subscription.

This is good to know. I have DirecTV, which does not offer EPIX, so I have never had it before. I was going to check it out with the free preview, but then wasn't sure if I would be able to keep it afterward since it sounds like you can't just subscribe thru the app.

MysteryMii215

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2016
NYC area
I didnt know that. How do you do it ?

I'm a bit disappointed that EPIX is only offering the app via cable subscription login. I would have thought they would go the route of HBO, Showtime and Starz and offer a subscription for us cord cutters.

Nevertheless, I'll check out the free month that they are offering since I'm curious about Berlin Station.

Films that show up on Epix will come to Hulu 3 months after they premiere on Epix.

Reactions: nburwell

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
For those that don't know, you get Epix with a Hulu subscription.

This is good to know, but I really don't like using Hulu for movies on the ATV4. Many times I like to see who the actors and directors are for movies, and basic information like that is missing from the descriptions on Hulu.

I am not sure if it is the same way on Epix, but Hulu's descriptions totally suck.

Reactions: tennisproha

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I didnt know that. How do you do it ?

I don't think Hulu subscribers get access to the Epix streaming service. Hulu (and Amazon) have a deal with Epix (Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate) that gives them some of their movies every month but you don't get access to the Epix channels through Hulu or access to the Epix streaming service.
[doublepost=1486580234][/doublepost]
I'm a bit disappointed that EPIX is only offering the app via cable subscription login.

This is how the Epix streaming service has always worked. There is no standalone service. You only get access if you are a subscriber to the Epix channels.

Rod410

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
For many people that want internet at home, they have little to no choice, but to support Comcast.

Comcast pretty much has a monopoly. It's either Comcast or nothing
[doublepost=1486610202][/doublepost]
Time to STOP supporting Comcast then! ;)
[doublepost=1486581191][/doublepost]

What is TCM?
Comcast pretty much has a monopoly. It's either Comcast or nothing

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This is good to know, but I really don't like using Hulu for movies on the ATV4. Many times I like to see who the actors and directors are for movies, and basic information like that is missing from the descriptions on Hulu.

I am not sure if it is the same way on Epix, but Hulu's descriptions totally suck.
My pet peeve is all these services not showing expiration dates for content. Like seriously come on now, stuff just disappears overnight.

Hulu shows expiration dates but only on web, not apps, when you go looking for them. Aside from that, Netflix and HBO, not the slightest hint of expirations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.