Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Another rumor of Apple's interest in acquiring a company involved in film and television has come to light today, with Financial Times reporting that the Cupertino company was in talks to acquire production company Imagine Entertainment, co-founded by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer. The deal is said to have gotten "serious enough" to include Apple CEO Tim Cook and senior vice president Eddy Cue, but discussions ultimately "fizzled out" for unknown reasons.

Those knowledgable about the deal said that possibilities ranged from a "first look" distribution strategy granted to Apple for movies and television shows released by Imagine all the way to an investment or even an outright purchase by Apple. Imagine is a company behind a number of well-known films, including all three entries in The Da Vinci Code series, Apollo 13, and the upcoming adaptation of The Dark Tower. Some of its production in the TV space includes shows like Empire, 24, and Parenthood.

brian-grazer-ron-howard-800x451.jpg
Ron Howard and Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment

According to Financial Times, Apple's current approach to original video content "has many in Hollywood scratching their heads."
This approach has many in Hollywood scratching their heads. Apple's rounds of meetings with various entertainment industry players suggest it has not yet decided what its strategy should be.

The iPhone maker has been stalking Hollywood for more than a year, talking to leading industry players while it tries to formulate a cogent video strategy. It has considered a range of acquisitions and targets including, most recently, Imagine Entertainment, the Hollywood production company owned by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, according to several people briefed on the discussions.
Imagine is said to have recently faced the end of a long-term production and distribution deal with Universal Pictures, which is when Apple is believed to have considered entering into a first look deal with the company. The new Imagine rumor marks another bump in the road for Apple's trip around Hollywood, following reports that the company considered buying Time Warner last year. Later in the year, people familiar with Apple's acquisition strategy said it was "not interested" in acquiring Time Warner at the time.

Today's news follows a Bloomberg report from yesterday that underscored Apple's "arrogance" in mergers and acquisitions, where it's reported to use shrewd business tactics and non-traditional strategies in its attempts to acquire new companies. These tactics work mostly for Apple's smaller acquisitions, according to some analysts, but impede its success at acquiring larger companies, although it is unclear how seriously Apple has pursued any such large targets.

Update 12:50 PM: Imagine co-chairman Michael Rosenberg tells Variety, "The story is not accurate and Imagine has no further comment."

Article Link: Apple Considered Buying Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment, but Talks 'Fizzled Out' [Updated]

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I'd like to see Apple go all in and just buy Netflix.

Netflix's Market Cap is around 60b. Even if they "Are Not for Sale" Apple has the War Chest needed for a hostile take over. Since Apple's track record with content isn't as good as Netflix's they could let them run independently. Netflix would be good for another .50-.75 EPS when synergies are realized. With potential tax holidays on the horizon, I can't think of a reason not to buy netflix.

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

Agreed, this makes the most sense and would give them the quickest path to leverage in negotiations with other content owners.

Regarding the pic, haven't seen Opie Cunningham in a long time.

Reactions: kyleh22

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
This approach has many in Hollywood scratching their heads. Apple's rounds of meetings with various entertainment industry players suggest it has not yet decided what its strategy should be.

the main thing to take away isn't that it would appear that they don't know what they're doing, but rather that they know they don't know what they're doing and are actively trying to rectify this by getting a feel for how this industry operates before making their move

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
And Richie Cunningham is such an easy going guy...
So the Cue syndrome is killing deals.
[doublepost=1487263328][/doublepost]
I wouldn't wanna sell to a company that's producing this garbage:

Boring! I thought it was going to be a comedy show like Seinfeld, not a Shark Tank ripoff.
I don't care about reality shows. Don't we have enough reality in life already?
When I watch TV I want to be entertained.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
And, they'd make all the movies thinner, and at HD (so it doesn't put a spotlight on the Apple TV 4's capabilities).

All kidding aside, if Apple were to do something like the Pixar deal with Disney where they have autonomy it might make sense, but we don't need Cook et al running entertainment. If Steve was still with us, yes.
:)

Reactions: stevet

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

No thanks... Netflix is great as is. Apple keep out. Personally, I don't want to see "Apple's improvements".. they'll destroy it.

It may actually turn off potential new business knowing that clients will be dealing with Apple.

Edit:

I wouldn't wanna sell to a company that's producing this garbage:

Netflix doesn't need this crap. This looks awful.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
And Richie Cunningham is such an easy going guy...
So the Cue syndrome is killing deals.
[doublepost=1487263328][/doublepost]

Boring! I thought it was going to be a comedy show like Seinfeld, not a Shark Tank ripoff.
I don't care about reality shows. Don't we have enough reality in life already?
When I watch TV I want to be entertained.

maybe Apple is using it as a tax rightoff lol

Reactions: rekhyt

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
as an aside, brian grazer is crazy. there was an article in the new yorker years ago describing him keeping small framed portraits of himself on his person - when he went to parties at people's houses he would drop his ridiculous smiling mug into their family photo collections. later they'd find his face among their kids pictures...

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
What's the point? Apple has no clue how to run that type of business. Anything they did would likely be exclusive to the apple ecosystem.

That's the beauty of buying a company that consists of experts. They have the War Chest to buy a company full of experts. Let Netflix run independently if needed. Netflix would be good for another .50-.75 EPS when synergies are realized. I can't think of a reason not to buy netflix.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
wow.. I must admit.. It looks horrible.. Nobody in the general public will watch this..
It certainly does look horrible, beyond words. [But never underestimate the stupidity of the people watching reality-programming. Who knows?]

My view: an ill-conceived effort, while the following target-rich programs are making their mark:
  1. NBC (nbc.com): The Blacklist, Blindspot, Shades of Blue, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Med, Timeless
  2. ABC (abc.go.com): Designated Survivor
  3. FOX (foxnow.com): Lethal Weapon, Rosewood
  4. Showtime (showtimeanytime.com): Billions, Ray Donovan, Homeland, Brotherhood
  5. HBO (hbo.com): Game of Thrones, Westworld, Deadwood, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Ballers
  6. Starz (starz.com): Outlander, Black Sails
  7. TNT (tntdrama.com): Good Behavior, Animal Kingdom, The Last Ship
  8. USA (USANetwork.com): Shooter
  9. History (history.com): Vikings, SIX, Forged in Fire
  10. FX (fxnetworks.com): The Americans
  11. NBCSports (nbcsports.com): English Premier League (EPL)
  12. TV5Monde (usa.tv5monde.com): French Cinema/News/Documentaries
  13. Comedy Central (cc.com): South Park
Cook and Cue (C&C) have picked the lowest common denominator (a reality show). And worse, yet, decided to offer this as discriminator of AMusic, rather than ATV? WTF?

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015

Why does MacRumors harbour so many Apple consumers with this mentality... or does this entitled mentality go beyond MacRumors?

I've seen this ridiculous comments here way too often that Apple should just buy their competition. Not only is this mindset arrogant and narrowminded but more importantly it's really really dangerous to consumers as it eliminates competition, innovation, choice and keeps monopolies at bay.

Good god, what an embarrassing thing to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.