Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of Facebook's Snapchat clones is launching worldwide today within Facebook Messenger, after a previous soft launch in countries including Poland and Australia. Called "Messenger Day," the new feature will allow Messenger users to post updates that disappear after 24 hours.

The twist with Messenger Day, according to Facebook, is that the app's filters and features encourage users to create new plans in the moment, instead of revisiting things your friends have already done like on Snapchat.

FB-messenger-day.jpg

To facilitate this, Messenger Day includes a collection of photo and video filters -- like the time of day or call-outs asking to grab food -- that will provide appropriate context for friends viewing posts. According to Facebook VP of messaging David Marcus, who spoke with TechCrunch, this will let Facebook Messenger users snap a quick photo, add a frame, and see if any of their friends are up for going grab a coffee or watching a movie, without having to text individual people or post on Facebook itself.
"This is about today. It's not about yesterday. It's not about tomorrow" Marcus tells me. "The 2 key functionalities are 1. I'm going to set context because it's going to make for better conversations if people know where I am and what I'm doing. And 2. It's about where I want to take my day, like 'I'm bored and I want to go out for coffee' or 'I want to go see a movie' so I'm going to use a frame, take a photo, and see which of my friends are going to engage with me to actually make that plan, because planning is one of the core capabilities of a messaging app."
Like Instagram Stories, Messenger Day sits atop Facebook Messenger and shows the days of your friends in a row of horizontal icons that autoplay one after another when viewed. Users can interact with specific posts by sending a message to the poster, and an "Active Now" indicator will let users know who is online and available to meet up with in the moment.

All of the usual doodling options, filters, and stickers of other apps will also be found in Messenger Day. For its plan-making filters, Facebook said that there are over 5,000 of them, including invites to going for a run, grabbing drinks, and other activities. Users can even create custom filters through text.
This is where Messenger Day's unique slant on Stories for messaging comes in. The searchable, categorized filters include calls to action like "Who's up for grabbing coffee?", "Road trip", "Movie night?", "Let's grab drinks", "Let's go for a run", and tons more. These make it easy and fun to invite friends to hang out with you offline.

And unlike posting "who wants to grab dinner?" on Facebook where a lack of responses could make you look unpopular, the posts disappear and all replies in Messenger Day are private so you don't have to worry about seeming lonely.
Including Messenger Day, Facebook's Snapchat copying has grown to include Instagram Stories, WhatsApp Status, and the yet-to-launch-worldwide Facebook Stories. Within Facebook Messenger, some users noticed recently that a few of the company's "Reactions" have been made available to respond to friends' messages, including a new thumbs-down option.

Article Link: Facebook's Snapchat Clone 'Messenger Day' Launches Worldwide With Plan-Making Twist

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I guess by now people are tired of trackers and privacy sharing apps and companies.

We need to see alternatives the respect the user's privacy like ProtonMail has done for E-Mail.

PipSeg

Suspended
May 12, 2016
Actually quite interested in using this, just don't seem to have the feature yet.

Edit: I had to delete FB Messenger and reinstall it for the feature to show up for me.
It's quite similar to Snapchat/Instagram stories, but I like the pre-made filters/stickers that you can apply to the pictures. Plus, they made it sound like "this is only about today, not yesterday or tomorrow" but you are able to upload pictures/videos from your camera roll, however, on the story, it says it was uploaded from camera roll.
Just sharing my thoughts on using it for a few hours.

Last edited:

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Facebook and Facebook Messenger will both have its separate stories. Why? Not to mention the Facebook sisters - Instagram and WhatsApp already have this feature. We don't need a separate story status in every app you do, Facebook.

Still baffles me why Messenger and Instagram needs this.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Everything about this is dumb, mark my words it will go down the drain like their "poke" app did.

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Spoiler alert.... you'll hate it.

Can't turn those features off and it's heavily integrated into the core functionality the messenger app.

I'm always accidentally triggering shortcuts for it.

Just my opinion though!

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
This all feels like market saturation. Maybe i'm not the target demo for instagram and snapchat and messenger days and all the other variations of social media, but it becomes more and more noise. Furthermore social networks only work if your friends are using the same platform you are. If there are 5 platforms that do the same thing, the chances become slimmer and slimmer that your friends are using the exact same one as you.

uglypear

Cancelled
Jul 4, 2012
We've had it here in Australia for some time now and it's terrible. Not one of my Facebook friends actually use it - everyone has still just been using Snapchat

Reactions: jezbd1997

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Personally think FB Messenger is the best message app next to imessage, hangouts and slack.

They should just go ahead and enable filters on the IG stories also

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
At first I'm okay with a Snapchat clone on Instagram, but to have both Instagram, Facebook app, Facebook Messenger app and WhatsApp to have separate Snapchat clone feature kinda annoys and pisses me off. I want my contact feature in WhatsApp back. And I don't want a heavy Facebook app and Messenger app that drains my phone battery. FYI I'm still using Snapchat. Simplicity for the win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.