Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iWork apps for iOS devices, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote, to version 3.1, introducing a range of new features and improvements in each app.

iworkiosapp.jpg

Pages, Apple's word processing app, has gained new text formatting options, bookmarks to link sections of a document, support for equations, Touch ID support for password protected documents, and more. A full list of changes for Pages is below:
What's New
-Format text as superscript or subscript, use ligatures, and change text background color
-Add bookmarks to easily link from one part of your document to another
-Add elegant mathematical equations using LaTeX or MathML notation
-Quickly open password-protected documents using Touch ID
-Import and export documents in Rich Text Format (RTF)
-Easily replace missing fonts in your document
-New leader lines make pie charts easier to read
-Customize dates, times, and currencies for your language or region
Numbers, Apple's app for creating spreadsheets, has new options to add new or historical stock information to documents, a revamped editing experience, a new action menu that makes it easier to get to the most common tasks, Touch ID support, and more. A full list of changes is below:
What's New
-Easily add current or historical stock information to spreadsheets
-Use the new My Stocks template to easily track your portfolio
-A powerful new editing experience makes entering data and formulas fast and easy
-New action menu keeps most common tasks one tap away
-Quickly open password-protected spreadsheets using Touch ID
-Format text as superscript or subscript, use ligatures, and change text background color
-Easily replace missing fonts in your spreadsheet
-While collaborating on a spreadsheet, you can now cut, copy, paste, and duplicate sheets
-Edit rich text within table cells
Keynote, Apple's presentation app, includes an improved rehearsal feature with slide, presenter notes, and timer in one view, new options for customizing slide backgrounds, Touch ID support for opening password protected documents, and more. A full list is below:
What's New
-Change slide master and customize slide background
-Rehearse a presentation with current slide, presenter notes, and timer all in one view
-Quickly open password-protected presentations using Touch ID
-Easily replace missing fonts in your presentation
-Import Keynote 1 presentations
-Post interactive presentations on Medium, WordPress, and other websites
All three of the new updates are available for download immediately. Customers who already own Apple's iWork apps will be able to obtain the new updates at no cost.

Many of the same changes have also been introduced in Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for Mac, all of which also have updates available this morning.

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
Keynote for iOS - [App Store]
Numbers for iOS - [App Store]

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates Numbers, Pages and Keynote for iOS and Mac With New Features

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Equations in Pages? I only asked for that while I was in high school and college (2007-2014). Too late to be useful to me, but if they'd done it ten years earlier, lab reports would have been so much easier.

I remember I spent some time trying to figure out how plugins in Pages worked so that I could add this feature myself... never was able to make it very far.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Some good stuff, but I was hoping for TouchBar customization options. The huge style button is useless to me.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
And here we are again! ;)
rotflmao.gif

Yeah I know, I know. But having just returned back to Pages after a few weeks of using MS Word, I was reminded why I am most productive with iWork in general, and Pages in particular. I'll go from Pages to LibreOffice Writer and back, then to MS Word and back. When I need to create documents that require the features only available on Word or Writer then I'll use those, but otherwise. Pages (new and old versions) continues to be my go-to word processor.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Bookmarks and support for. LaTeX equations.

I LOVE YOU, APPLE!

Now, if you could support BibTeX as a honeymoon present, that would be great.
[doublepost=1490637881][/doublepost]
I'm 99% certain that those was available prior to the rewrite of iWork.
And they were available after that. Not sure why Apple means by that. I've always been able to write subscript and superscript text

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Bookmarks and support for. LaTeX equations.

I LOVE YOU, APPLE!

Now, if you could support BibTeX as a honeymoon present, that would be great.
[doublepost=1490637881][/doublepost]
And they were available after that. Not sure why Apple means by that. I've always been able to write subscript and superscript text
They might be referring to the iOS version.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
rotflmao.gif

Yeah I know, I know. But having just returned back to Pages after a few weeks of using MS Word, I was reminded why I am most productive with iWork in general, and Pages in particular. I'll go from Pages to LibreOffice Writer and back, then to MS Word and back. When I need to create documents that require the features only available on Word or Writer then I'll use those, but otherwise. Pages (new and old versions) continues to be my go-to word processor.

Fortunately Pages 4.3 isn't completely broken yet. Don't know what I'd do without it. The way things are going, I think we will be lamenting Apple's lack of progress on the app this to our graves.

Reactions: sracer

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Getting good with office software takes time and a lot of trial and error.
I can't imagine many people switch from Word -> Pages or vice versa very regularly. Of course there will be some who have done, and reply to this post. But I'd bet the number is small.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Getting good with office software takes time and a lot of trial and error.
Some of us have been using iWork for many years. The relatively recent reboot of iWork had gutted out functionality that was present in the previous version. That's what some of us are talking about.

Fortunately Pages 4.3 isn't completely broken yet. Don't know what I'd do without it. The way things are going, I think we will be lamenting Apple's lack of progress on the app this to our graves.
Agreed. But I've had to relegate 4.3 to secondary status because I heavily rely on my 12.9 iPad Pro to do work in iWork. The interoperability and file compatibility between the latest macOS and iOS versions outweighs the benefits of the missing features. :(

Reactions: tubular

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I've been using Nissus Writer more than Pages lately, and I've been pretty happy with it. These updates might bring me back. Built in equation support is nice, and RTF export is big (nice to be able to store stuff in a standard format).

Superscript, if I recall, took a few clicks to get right-- change the baseline, shrink the font... It was a pain if you wanted to inline math.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Bookmarks, omg, bookmarks.

Seriously, as a self-published author of ebooks this... this just opened up my world.

I used to use Scrivener but switched to Ulysses when I got my MBP. The biggest problem with both is neither really supports the bookmarking features Amazon insists you have in your books. I used HTML to finish off my ebooks but now I can do it in Pages, which SHOULD be a lot cleaner and easier.

I guess I won't know until June when my next one comes out, but I just still can't believe they removed this feature in the first place.

Reactions: sracer

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
THE key feature missing from this version (that iWork 09 has, linked text boxes) continues to be MIA. :(
That's my main regret as well. For over a decade, I've been using Pages for a monthly newsletter. When text flow was eliminated, it made my tasks a lot more difficult. I don't know why Apple hasn't figured out how to add the feature back.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Equations in Pages? I only asked for that while I was in high school and college (2007-2014). Too late to be useful to me, but if they'd done it ten years earlier, lab reports would have been so much easier.

I remember I spent some time trying to figure out how plugins in Pages worked so that I could add this feature myself... never was able to make it very far.

Equations worked in Pages, probably as far back as 2007. I don't remember when they first appeared (I've used Pages since the beginning). You just need to install Mathtype. Nothing to figure out. Install and it works. The new equation editor is LaTeX based and IMHO is not as easy to use, but Mathtype still works.

Wait, we could not add sup and sub characters before? WAIT, it took them 7 years to add that feature!?

It's always been there in the Mac version. The article is probable referring to Numbers in iOS.
[doublepost=1490641830][/doublepost]
That's my main regret as well. For over a decade, I've been using Pages for a monthly newsletter. When text flow was eliminated, it made my tasks a lot more difficult. I don't know why Apple hasn't figured out how to add the feature back.

The problem is that they want the iOS and Mac versions to be compatible. iOS Pages has never had this feature, therefore it's unlikely to reappear on the Mac. Luckily Pages '09 continues to work when you need it if you had the foresight not to delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.