Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may spend several billion dollars to obtain a "substantial stake" in Toshiba's memory chip business, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK. Reuters cited NHK as saying Apple's stake would be greater than 20 percent.

toshiba-iphone-800x128.jpg

Given concerns from Japanese government officials about Toshiba selling "critical technologies" to overseas buyers, Apple would reportedly have Toshiba keep some shares so that the company retains partial Japanese ownership.

Apple is also considering teaming up with its manufacturing partner Foxconn, which is trying to acquire about 30 percent of the stake, the report said.

Foxconn allegedly offered Toshiba up to 3 trillion Japanese yen ($30 billion) as a standalone bid, but a subsequent report said Toshiba would likely reject the bid due to Foxconn's ties with China, where it operates multiple factories.

Apple's other manufacturing partner TSMC has reportedly already withdrawn its bid, while other potential suitors are said to include technology giants Amazon and Google and rival memory chipmakers SK Hynix and Western Digital. Apple itself was named as a potential bidder by a separate source earlier this month.

Toshiba announced plans to sell its NAND flash memory business in January in order to raise funds to cover write-down costs associated with its U.S. nuclear subsidiary Westinghouse Electric, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March. The company expects to face $9 billion in related charges.

Apple dual sources 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB flash storage from Toshiba and SK Hynix for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Toshiba, facing an uncertain future, is supposedly expected to select the winning bidder of its memory chip business by June.

Article Link: Apple May Spend Several Billion Dollars to Obtain 'Substantial Stake' in Toshiba's Memory Chip Business

Reactions: Sunny1990

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Better use Samsung's UFS based flash-storage along with the NVMe controller in iPhone to make the fastest combo ever seen. (Instead of eMMC + NVMe)

And with Apple's new APFS (Apple File System), the results will be exciting.
Hope, the last word convinces Tim.

Last edited:
Reactions: saintforlife

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If it did for Beats I can't see why not for Toshiba!!

Very different investment.

Hardware wise they got nudda from Beats....and have also invested almost zero in improving that hardware. Though I'm sure Beats headphones are also in that "amazing pipeline"

Reactions: saintforlife

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I think it's for the best that Toshiba retain a good chunk and ownership. Apple needs the tight connection, but manufacturering is not really their thing. And Toshiba management is probably better than Apple management in that Apple is spread pretty thin already.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple probably realize that they'll be trailing competitors like Samsung that produce their own core components from DRAM, flash memory, display technology, camera sensor, SoC, baseband radio, etc. and even their own state of the art fabs.

Reactions: Avieshek

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
As Foxxcon were going to bid $27b for this part of the business alone, several $B is going to buy feck all of a stake in it.

It would make perfect sense for Apple to buy into this part of Toshiba, if they want any influence at all it's have to be a substantial amount.

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
this is probably the perfect business opportunity for Apple.

Reliable, high quality memory of any kind with a lot of respectable know-how.

Also this would put Samsung under quite a bit of pressure, strenghtening Apple's negotiating stand.

Go buy it already, it makes no sense to be the richest guy on the cementary!

Reactions: recoil80

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
IF Apple is willing to spend several Billion to obtain a stake in Toshiba yet won't spend a quarter of that to update the Macintosh hardware line in timely fashion then I say...

SHAME ON YOU APPLE!

Reactions: mtbgtr

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Why Apple need to partner with Foxcon? Can Apple acquire it alone?
Antitrust is much less of a thing in the East.
On top of that I'd rather have a significant stake in X (which owns Y) than just to own Y. It would basically get me 2 for 1, for less than 1.

LeonardXW

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
Antitrust is much less of a thing in the East.
On top of that I'd rather have a significant stake in X (which owns Y) than just to own Y. It would basically get me 2 for 1, for less than 1.

If that's the case, this make Apple cannot abandon Foxcon as long as he require the technology the company acquired.

oldoneeye

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Will not lower cost of memory upgrades on their devices.

agreed, but the NAND market is constrained and this will give them more supply
[doublepost=1492168606][/doublepost]
Why Apple need to partner with Foxcon? Can Apple acquire it alone?

They could, but do Apple really want to get into Semiconductor manufacturing ? ..... it's a totally different game

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Make sense, and it could prove be beneficial down the road, hopefully it will work out for them to get Toshiba

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Better use Samsung's UFS based flash-storage along with the NVMe controller in iPhone to make the fastest combo ever seen. (Instead of eMMC + NVMe)

And with Apple's new APFS (Apple File System), the results will be exciting.
Hope, the last word convinces Tim.
Isn't ZFS better than APFS

Reactions: Avieshek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.