Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Super Mario Run received a point one update late on Monday, bringing some additional enticements for newcomers and offering long-time fans new reasons to continue playing the game.

Probably the biggest upgrade to the runner is the addition of several new buildings up for collection. These include the 8-bit Bowser Statue, Bullet Bill Statue, Bob-omb, and many more.

super-mario-run-screenshots-3.jpg

Elsewhere, players can now use their Miitomo character as their player icon, Game Center achievements have been implemented, and it's now possible to find friends from a linked Nintendo account.

In addition, the maximum number of Toads that can live in a player's kingdom has been increased to 99,999, providing plenty of reasons for gamers to keeping on running.

Super Mario Run is a free download, with a $9.99 in-app purchas to unlock the full content, available for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Super Mario Run' 2.1 Update Adds New Buildings and Game Center Achievements

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Is this game really a thing??
When it came out I played for 5 minutes and deleted the app, feels more like "Temple Run" from the side than a Mario game, really hate not being able to go back, and don't get me started on the autojump function, so annoying!!

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

WestCoastCommodore

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
When it came out I played for 5 minutes and deleted the app, feels more like "Temple Run" from the side than a Mario game, really hate not being able to go back, and don't get me started on the autojump function, so annoying!!

Yes, believe it or not, there are other people out there who play this game. Something like 78 million people have downloaded them, so chances are at least some of them continue to enjoy the updates. Do said updates belong on MacRumors? I think that's debatable.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Will probably take all my life to reach 99,999 toads..
And then some! It feels like forever just trying to get to some "manageable number" like 150 of them (especially since you lose some of them whenever you lose a Toad Rally level). I'm sure there are hard core players who will reach that number before we even know it!

The awful thing about getting Toads is just how repetitive it feels. If I'm going to do something repetitive and boring for so long, I'd rather run on a treadmill where never mind I could use the exercise anyways... at least it's good for you!

Is GameCenter a thing or not? I can't find much of it in iOS 10 but some things sometimes show up. Very confusing
I have this on my LG G4, and when I go to Menu --> Settings --> Google Play Achievements, it tries to bring up GP, but then nothing. Opening up this game via Google Games doesn't show any achievements either.

Other than that, I'm not really phased. I've finished all the World Tour levels. After I finish one of the bonus levels that's kicking my butt, I'll be done with this game.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Nintendo boggles my mind. They could release the original Super Mario Bros on iOS, which would require almost no new programming, sell it for 99 cents, and make several million dollars. Perhaps even 20 or 30 million dollars. When that cools down, they could sell Super Mario Bros 2, and then 3, and Zelda. SNES games will take a little more attention to get smooth controls, but other people have done a pretty decent job with some of the titles.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but then they release that Miitomo "game" and totally drop the ball on Super Mario Run, and I'm left here scratching my head. The marketing was so poor on the Wii U that tons of people didn't even recognize that the Wii U was a separate console from the Wii. At least things seem to be going well with the Switch so far. I think Nintendo's glory days are behind them though.

IMaMACnow

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009

You tap the bubble to send you back. Sometimes that's the only way to fully complete a stage

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Nintendo boggles my mind. They could release the original Super Mario Bros on iOS, which would require almost no new programming, sell it for 99 cents, and make several million dollars. Perhaps even 20 or 30 million dollars. When that cools down, they could sell Super Mario Bros 2, and then 3, and Zelda. SNES games will take a little more attention to get smooth controls, but other people have done a pretty decent job with some of the titles.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but then they release that Miitomo "game" and totally drop the ball on Super Mario Run, and I'm left here scratching my head. The marketing was so poor on the Wii U that tons of people didn't even recognize that the Wii U was a separate console from the Wii. At least things seem to be going well with the Switch so far. I think Nintendo's glory days are behind them though.
It's not "no new programming". Not by a long shot. And then whenever a major iOS update occurs, you're at the mercy of Apple to figure out if anything needs to get a major overhaul (of which to no small number of devs... it wasn't worth the effort, so they quit). Even if you manage to smooth that out, no telling what's around the corner.

Not having physical controllers is a huge detriment. iOS isn't a popular enough gaming platform that the masses will have external controllers. It has to work with touch controls, which my experiences have been fairly lousy. They'd have to put in a lot of work, but still have to give Apple a 30% cut on all sales.

Nintendo still has their own line of hardware and they want to hold on to that advantage, and push people to buy that. The same reason why Apple has never looked back at licensing OSX, nor bothered with licensing out iOS to other manufacturers. They want the vertical control so they control both the hardware and the software. Ditto with Nintendo, letting THEM call the shots. People not knowing the Wii U was separate from the Wii reminds me of Ipod users who had to be told products and songs will work on all MP3 Players and Ipods, even though the tech community full well knew that Ipods were MP3 players. :D

I wish Super Mario Run would get a sequel, but I hear it didn't sell well (too many people were surprised they couldn't get the full game for free :rolleyes:), so I'm not counting on it. I can at least continue to buy Nintendo games on hardware to get the games I'd like.

You tap the bubble to send you back. Sometimes that's the only way to fully complete a stage
By "fully complete", I presume you mean collecting all of the pink, purple, and black coins? AFAIK, it should be possible to collect EVERYTHING without bubbling. Even with Mario. However, switching to another character would certainly make some parts smooth sailing.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
NINTENDO: please add more levels! I get that we defeated Bowser, but he could always come back in some sneaky way. I just do not care about Rally Mode.

Reactions: ackmondual

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
NINTENDO: please add more levels! I get that we defeated Bowser, but he could always come back in some sneaky way. I just do not care about Rally Mode.
Well, the other Mario games just have you doing World S, or World n + 1 where n is the world where bowser resides, so I'd say you're overthinking the story part :D

I too would like new levels, but unfortunately, Nintendo will want to charge for them, but not enough people would buy it. Hell, I hear sales were lower than expected for the game itself!

Toad Rally is such a repetitive grindfest!

Reactions: djlythium
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.