Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's second quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple was seeing a "pause" in purchases of the iPhone, which he attributed to "earlier and much more frequent reports about future iPhones."

The comment came in response to a question about a 451 research survey, which mentioned a nine year low in iPhone purchase intent. Cook said he hadn't read the survey in depth, but explained Apple was seeing slower iPhone sales.

iphone_8_kk_rendering.jpg
iPhone 8 concept based on alleged leaked design renderings
I only glanced at it and so I haven't had time to study it, but in general, what we are seeing... we're seeing what we believe to be a pause in purchases on iPhone, which we believe are due to the earlier and much more frequent reports about future iPhones. And so that part is clearly going on, and it could be what's behind the data. I don't know, but we are seeing that, in full transparency.
Rumors about the iPhone 8, coming in 2017, started before the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus were even released, despite Apple's ever-increasing focus on secrecy. Major changes are rumored to be in the works for the 2017 iPhone, and those changes have been difficult for Apple to keep quiet.

The device is expected to feature the biggest overhaul to the iPhone in a number of years, with an edge-to-edge OLED display with no Home button, a glass body with stainless steel frame, Touch ID embedded under the screen, new biometric features, a revamped camera, and more.

With the number of rumors circulating about improvements coming to the iPhone, it should come as no surprise that customers are holding off on an iPhone purchase until 2017, when the entirely revamped iPhone debuts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Attributes a 'Pause' in iPhone Purchases to 2017 iPhone Rumors

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Don't let us down with the 2017 iPhone.

During today's second quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple was seeing a "pause" in purchases of the iPhone, which he attributed to "earlier and much more frequent reports about future iPhones."

The comment came in response to a question about a 451 research survey, which mentioned a nine year low in iPhone purchase intent. Cook said he hadn't read the survey in depth, but explained Apple was seeing slower iPhone sales.

iphone_8_kk_rendering.jpg

iPhone 8 concept based on alleged leaked design renderings
Rumors about the iPhone 8, coming in 2017, started before the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus were even released, despite Apple's ever-increasing focus on secrecy. Major changes are rumored to be in the works for the 2017 iPhone, and those changes have been difficult for Apple to keep quiet.

The device is expected to feature the biggest overhaul to the iPhone in a number of years, with an edge-to-edge OLED display with no Home button, a glass body with stainless steel frame, Touch ID embedded under the screen, new biometric features, a revamped camera, and more.

With the number of rumors circulating about improvements coming to the iPhone, it should come as no surprise that customers are holding off on an iPhone purchase until 2017, when the entirely revamped iPhone debuts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Attributes a 'Pause' in iPhone Purchases to 2017 iPhone Rumors

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The dip in sales couldn't have been because the iPhone 7 looks virtually identical to the one that came out last year AND the year before. And it certainly wasn't because the only distinguishing aspect is the loss of a headphone jack.

It's got to be because of the iphone 8 rumors. :eek:

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I just hope it's worth the wait. I bypassed 7+ for the iPhone X (yes I'm calling it that, it's much cooler). Hopefully, they don't disappoint everyone with their fugly design mock ups and Touch ID in the back. Market research stated that people are waiting to be "wowed" by the next iPhone, myself included.

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
Saturation. Intense competition on *price* in China/Asia markets with dirt cheap Android iPhone-design clones. iPhone sales are going away drip drip drip...

What is the next product Apple has to supplant the iPhone as the majority revenue source, Tim? MacBooks with gimmicky touch strips and no "Pro" hardware features? Eventually redoing the Mac Mini for 20% more MSRP?

I Know! More SJW time wasting and virtue signaling! Talk about how you will reclaim every iPhone ever to avoid mining rare earth materials (which are actually dirt cheap because China cornered that industry several years back).

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Here's why, iphone 6/6+ were the last new iphones in terms of new features people care about. I used a 7 plus, eh didnt see anything that was worth another $900 when my 6+ works great. I skipped the 7 and the 6s and waiting for something new in the 8.

I suspect we will see a BIG bump in sales if the 8 is actually something different after 3 years of waiting..

Last edited:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
A pause in design will result in less desire for iPhones. Who would have thought?

Also, Tim being surprised by iPhone 7 plus sales being stronger than iPhone 7 shows just how out of touch he is with tech and users! I'm always surprised that these guys know so little about their market. You can't put a bigger battery and better camera in a phone and expect people not to want it! I know they're just human and no one is really much more of an expert than anyone else with the same information but damn I wish they could view it from a different perspective once in a while.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I'm on my iPhone 6 purchased on release day, and it's still working well. I usually upgrade every 2 years, but the rumors of a new iPhone are definitely keeping me from purchasing a new one. If nothing but a 7s comes this year then I'll still hold out.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
There is a "super-cycle"

A cornucopia of new bigger and better iPhones just around the bend and over the green pastures.

iPhones with all types of magical abilities. Better to hold off and wait for these.

It's true.

I read about it here.

Last edited:

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder what kind of dirt you guys will throw at Apple after they release their redesigned "iPhone 8" this year, and it sells in insane record numbers.

Tim's acknowledgement of the enticing rumors, while not trying to temper expectations, is evidence that there is substance to them.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Just shows the different world between consumers and CEO's. Consumers want the best bang for their buck. CEO's want to keep us stupid and in the dark until the next magic show. I understand it, car makers have done it for years. Lots of people in power love stupid uninformed general populations. Show them something shiny and they love you longtime :)

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Pretty good results for the launch date of the "revolutionary" Galaxy S8 with such features as:

- Battery might not explode this time
- Put the fingerprint reader on the back
- Camera is the same, still not a zoom camera with DoF effect like the iPhone 7

stephannikolic

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
Well at least if he said that, out loud and on a conference call, then it means they know that people are waiting and expecting to be wowed. So they are aware of the expectations ... At least that's what i keep telling myself Lol
Please Apple don't let us down with a 7S and Touch ID on the back and all this other nonsense of launching in November ....

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
There is that and there is three models with the same design and there is the pricing. I just had my hands on with Galaxy S8 today and have to say it is gorgeous piece of hardware and the price is about 100$ below iPhone 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.