Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced the "Sprint Magic Box," a small plug-and-play device that the carrier said will "dramatically improve" LTE data services and connections for any Sprint customers in its range. The indoor consumer device is built to be placed near a window, and is free for qualifying customers, with no installation, labor, or rental costs attached to its use.

The Magic Box doesn't require a router or Wi-Fi to use -- Sprint also mentioned that it doesn't interfere with established Wi-Fi networks -- and it automatically connects to the nearest Sprint cell site to guide users through installation. Once it's up and running, Sprint said that users will see a better data experience while streaming videos and surfing online, with up to 200 percent increases in download and upload speeds.

sprint-magic-box.jpg

The carrier also said that the Magic Box will be additionally beneficial in cities, as one device will boost the densification of Sprint's network for any Sprint user nearby.
So why did we name it Sprint Magic Box? Because the product is so simple, it just plugs in and works like magic to create a better experience by virtually eliminating hard-to-reach indoor areas. Within minutes customers see an average increase of 200% in download and upload speeds. The early feedback from thousands of customers who've been using Sprint Magic Box has been tremendous, and we're excited for more customers to benefit from this amazing new innovation.
One Magic Box has more than enough coverage to provide faster speeds for any average-sized home or business. According to Sprint, this means the device can cover an indoor area of around 30,000 square feet, and reaches up to 100 meters of outdoor coverage, with up to 64 simultaneous user connections sustainable on one Magic Box.

Users interested can fill out a request form to see if they qualify for the Magic Box, which can be found on Sprint's website. The form asks for a Sprint number and description of how users heard about the offer, among the usual name and email requirements.

Article Link: Sprint Announces 'Magic Box' to Improve LTE Data Download and Upload Speeds By 200%

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
My network speeds at home would have been 0.04 Mbps down and 0.08 Mbps up...great improvement! Glad I'm no longer stuck on that sinking ship.

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
I guess this might be good if everyone in a neighborhood gets one. I live in a neighboring city of Overland Park, KS where Sprint in located (about 10 miles from their campus) and the only carrier that gets good service where I live is Verizon and even it has dead spots, but very few. I have friends that have Sprint that get absolutely no signal at my home. Otherwise, isn't wifi going to take care of this? How is this going to connect to a tower if a phone can't? Had to get an Airrave in my old home because we had Sprint for a brief time and the service was so bad. I used to work right by the campus and couldn't even get a signal there though that was quite a few years ago. That being said, I'm more than happy to support a hometown company if they could just get their network to work.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Holy *#?! That box is YUGE!
Must hold a lot of magic.

I still have at AT&T microcell. That box is the size of a modem. Sprint's box is the size of a VCR - which looks great in a window. :rolleyes:

The microcell uses your broadband connection to create a mini cell site. magic box enhances existing site coverage. It's meant more for businesses it seems.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So it's a femtocell, except they've finally abandoned their absurd (from a customer service point of view) practice of charging you for a signal booster because their service is ****** in that area.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
So it's a femtocell, except they've finally abandoned their absurd (from a customer service point of view) practice of charging you for a signal booster because their service is ****** in that area.
Not a femtocell... They require backhaul from you. This one appears to just amplify the already existing Sprint LTE signal

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So 200% increase of a crappy Sprint LTE 2.3Mbps download speed will now be a whopping 4.6Mbps. Thanks, Magic Box!

A 200% increase would be 6.9Mbps (100% increase would be 4.6Mbps), but yeah, I get your point. Still, unless you switch carriers, a tripling in speed in nice, even if the starting point wasn't great.

Reactions: yanksfan114

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If I daisy chain them, can I get a 600-800% increase, in order to use the service?

I remember getting their unlimited plan and then I learned their bandwidth was horrible. Any carrier can offer unlimited data at extremely slow speeds.

Reactions: BeyondtheTech

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
A 200% increase would be 6.9Mbps (100% increase would be 4.6Mbps), but yeah, I get your point. Still, unless you switch carriers, a tripling in speed in nice, even if the starting point wasn't great.

Doh, that's what I get for wanting to post first. They say that two-thirds of college-level Americans can't do basic math. That's almost 50 percent! :)

I've edited my original post, thanks.

Reactions: JRobinsonJr

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
It's just a [rather large] single-unit signal booster. Quite magical...

You know what would be magical? Densifying their network so that devices like that aren't necessary.

Reactions: TechGeek76

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wonder if they'll allow you to get one (eventually) if you're using a Sprint MVNO.

I am forever done with 1st party postpaid cell service.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Sprint absolutely slowest LTE for a major carrier...Thank you T-Mobile and Verizon

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I wonder if these implement some odd tower-based hack. One problem with mobile wireless is you constantly need to adjust/range your signal. With a fixed receiver you can eliminate a lot of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.