Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory manufacturer Satechi today launched a new $99.99 Type-C Pro Hub for the 13-inch and 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pros, featuring a total of seven ports to make up for the inclusion of only Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports on the 2016 MacBook Pro.

satechi-hub-1.jpg

The new hub is similar in design to the Type-C Hub compatible with Apple's original 12-inch Macbook, but includes two Thunderbolt 3 dongles that take up both ports on either side of the new MacBook Pros with Touch Bar. The hub is compatible with the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro as well.

After users plug the hub in, they can gain access to a passthrough Thunderbolt 3 port, a USB-C port, and the following ports missing from Apple's device: 4K HDMI, 2 USB 3.0 ports, and both SD and microSD card readers.

The Thunderbolt 3 port supports quick data transfer of speeds up to 40Gbps, as well as passthrough charging for both 13-inch (61W) and 15-inch (87W) models of the MacBook Pro. Users can output 1080p video at 60Hz via the HDMI port, and up to 4K video at 30Hz.

Both the USB 3.0 and USB-C ports include transfer speeds of up to 5 GB/s, while the photo and video editing capabilities of the SD card slots provide data transfer speeds of up to 104 MB/s.

satechi-hub-2.jpg

Those interested can purchase the Type-C Pro Hub from Satechi's website for $99.99 starting today. Like the company's other products, the hub comes in MacBook color-matching Silver and Space Gray, and has a brushed aluminum finish to complement Apple's aesthetics.

Article Link: Satechi Launches Type-C Pro Hub for 2016 MacBook Pro With Ports for Thunderbolt 3, HDMI, SD, and More

Last edited:

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
The color is not 100% identical to Apple's, correct?
[doublepost=1494601372][/doublepost]Picture:

Attachments

• IMG_2751.PNG
    IMG_2751.PNG
    901.9 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: Macfit

Downs

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
The color is not 100% identical to Apple's, correct?
I think Apple's current 'color' is bodily dysmorphic disorder. I always see it's commercials talking about how much thinner it now is and how it has lost so much of what we always 'hated' about it. All for such a ridiculously 'low' price. Lol
[doublepost=1494601441][/doublepost]
I think Apple's current 'color' is bodily dysmorphic disorder. I always see it's commercials talking about how much thinner it now is and how it has lost so much of what we always 'hated' about it. All for such a ridiculously 'low' price. Lol
This is why I want a Razer Valarie and MacSales dock/ CNC and 3D printer. Or all.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Never been a fan of these all in one hubs that snug right up against the side of the MacBook body.

Not only is it being attached via one flimsy USB port, but visually it looks really bulky and unbalanced.

It almost seems more appropriate to have a single cable coming out of the USB-C and have the hub attached to that.

Correction: connection is via 2 USB ports.

Last edited:

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Last edited:

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Almost perfect. Definitely my first choice of adapter but it doesn't quite cover everything.

Although the expensive price of adapters is so unnecessary considering the cost of production and the nature of the item.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.

Accessory manufacturer Satechi today launched a new $99.99 Type-C Pro Hub for the 13-inch and 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pros, featuring a total of seven ports to make up for the inclusion of only Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports on the 2016 MacBook Pro.

satechi-hub-1.jpg

The new hub is similar in design to the Type-C Hub compatible with Apple's original 12-inch Macbook, but includes two Thunderbolt 3 dongles that take up both ports on either side of the new MacBook Pros with Touch Bar. The hub is compatible with the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro as well.

After users plug the hub in, they can gain access to a passthrough Thunderbolt 3 port, a USB-C port, and the following ports missing from Apple's device: 4K HDMI, 2 USB 3.0 ports, and both SD and microSD card readers.

The Thunderbolt 3 port supports quick data transfer of speeds up to 40Gbps, as well as passthrough charging for both 13-inch (61W) and 15-inch (87W) models of the MacBook Pro. Users can output 1080p video at 60Hz via the HDMI port, and up to 4K video at 30Hz.

Both the USB 3.0 and USB-C ports include transfer speeds of up to 5 GB/s, while the photo and video editing capabilities of the SD card slots provide data transfer speeds of up to 104 MB/s.

satechi-hub-2.jpg

Those interested can purchase the Type-C Pro Hub from Satechi's website for $99.99 starting today. Like the company's other products, the hub comes in MacBook color-matching Silver and Space Gray, and has a brushed aluminum finish to complement Apple's aesthetics.

Article Link: Satechi Launches Type-C Pro Hub for 2016 MacBook Pro With Ports for Thunderbolt 3, HDMI, SD, and More
It looks horrendous and brings further clarification to how inferior the current range is

Reactions: itguy06 and aylk

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Never been a fan of these all in one hubs that snug right up against the side of the MacBook body.

Not only is it being attached via one flimsy USB port, but visually it looks really bulky and unbalanced.

It almost seems more appropriate to have a single cable coming out of the USB-C and have the hub attached to that.

I'm with you. We are required to use Ethernet when available on my work MacBook Pro. So between that Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable, the dongle for my wireless phone headset (would Bluetooth be too much to ask?) and the thunderbolt to DVI adapter, and the Mag Safe, it takes so much away from the aesthetic.

Reactions: bernuli

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Sucker! this is a HyperDrive knockoff AND ITS MORE EXPENSIVE! LOL!

Why is MacRumors advertising a knockoff? HyperDrive has been around... These guys just took their idea and repackaged it.

You can still get one on Indiegogo from HyperDrive for $79. I have mine in-hand, I got in on the Kickstarter and was delivered months ago for $69. Love it..

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyperdrive-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-pro#/
I don't think you realise that almost all USB-C adapters are 'knockoffs'. Hyperdrive themselves sell many repackaged adapters for higher prices. $20 more isn't that much compared to the entire price of the adapter, even the price that you paid for the Hyperdrive is A LOT more than the cost of production.
But maybe you work for Hyperdrive and know all of this.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Couldn't they have made it so it didn't fit directly to the Mac. It looks really ugly IMO. I can see there is a market for something like this but please give us the option of tucking it away somewhere out of sight.

That main photo above is totally freaking me out! Then again, I'm a bit of a 'neat-freak'! :)

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands

It's not meant for the 12" MacBook, but for the Late 2016 MacBook Pro models with two ports.
[doublepost=1494602897][/doublepost]
I'm with you. We are required to use Ethernet when available on my work MacBook Pro.

Why not get something better, like the CalDigit USB-C dock? http://caldigit.com/usb-3-1-usb-c-dock/

I've been testing it, and my first impression is that it's a real plesasure to use.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

Completely agree. For me, part of the goal with a hub is to hide all of the cables except the connecting one. This does the opposite. Is there a guide anywhere to USB-C/Thunderbolt hubs that work as you describe?

Reactions: centauratlas

Downs

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
And now we wait for Apple to slightly change the space between the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the next MacBook Pro. :p
Is that to change them to none? Now your MacBook Bro can wirelessly charge using our new AirPort Extreme pain in the edition. Want to wirelessly stream to your 4K 3D 120hz display? Buy a special Apple royalty adaptor for the small convenience fee of $25-50 USD! Lol

At this point I'm honestly thinking that a Razer Project Valarie--once it's been through the initial release to check whether or not the hardware will have any design flaws--with a RAID SSD configuration, at 2TB, and maxed out, running several Linux and UNIX distributions using VMWare and multi boot, along with a possible Hackintosh setup, and/or a 3D printed or CNC and sandblasted black aluminum chassis designed to house the latest MBP logic board and internals, that would be expanded downward to house additional connections and PCI components using the current Thunderbolt 3 to reaffix all previously lost ports, but to also possibly include a thin and rugged solar option to charge at standard 4.5v 1.5a, and additional (standard) battery cell arrays running in parallel or, if the current MBP is using a 85w adapter, then simply divide the output wattage by the output voltage and the result is what the arranged array of battery cells should total when using VA=W. whether or not the batteries would need to be arranged in sequence or parallel is up to the V|A requirements. So I mean, if you can afford to buy a 3D printer, or an inexpensive small CNC machine, heck, maybe even some lasers from China for about a thousand USD, then why not start up your own computer modification and upgrading company that doesn't exactly license Apple branded stuff, but can and will make your own because as a citizen of the 21'st Century, you now have access to literally Any product, produce, vehicle, machine, bit of information and knowledge, and all with free abundant energy to do so using solar and other means. This is what i'm planning on doing. I'll purchase either two of these types of pre-made "dock/hub" products which I believe are completely unnecessary to people who pay over a thousand USD for their device, and then use a 3D printer, or, simply take clay, carve it to fit everything, smoothen it out, and fire it in a kiln. Then sandblast it, polish it the rough edges, and paint it using a magnetic or metallic ferrous metal to create a ground chassis. Then laser etch a logo or labels and what not. I mean, for less than someone could pay buying a new "fully loaded" MBP, you could literally own enough equipment to start modding the heck out of all of them. This is why I haven't purchased a new Apple yet. I might just make my own lol. Hope you all do too :) all those PCB's you can literally make or build to order :) have fun!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Very attractive price/features, especially compared to the ~300$ Thunderbolt 3 docks that keep getting delayed and delayed ...

BUT, I don't find the form factor attractive at all. I want a single neat cable going to the MacBook, not multiple cables going in multiple directions. And I want something that will work with any MacBook I might buy in the next 5 years.

And too bad about Ethernet. If I get a multi-port dock, I might as well get one with all the ports.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Completely agree. For me, part of the goal with a hub is to hide all of the cables except the connecting one. This does the opposite. Is there a guide anywhere to USB-C/Thunderbolt hubs that work as you describe?

To my knowledge, there are only a few that have a separate cable (i.e. so that you can put the hub below your desk) and these are all docks (and priced like docks). Amongst them is the CalDigit USB-C dock. There's a handful of Thunderbolt 3 docks that will be comping out soon, like the one from OWC.

There's one (cheaper) hub that has a separate cable but it's not out yet:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1303376337/powerhub-juices-up-your-usb-c-more-ports-more-char

Reactions: centauratlas

Downs

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
Shouldn't we all just really be mad at Apple for putting us--the people who pay their bills--through all this unnecessary hassle? Do we still deserve our much needed ports? This is why I won't buy another Apple product until they give us our ports back. It's bad enough having to find a Lightning digital to analog converter to hook up headphones. Why should people pay a premium to connect a non-premium? Digital bouncer won't let our accessories be part of the club anymore. Gotta buy AirPods I guess lol I wonder what other ports and features Apple will magically make vanish? What's left?

samden

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
It's not meant for the 12" MacBook, but for the Late 2016 MacBook Pro models with two ports.
[doublepost=1494602897][/doublepost]

Why not get something better, like the CalDigit USB-C dock? http://caldigit.com/usb-3-1-usb-c-dock/

I've been testing it, and my first impression is that it's a real plesasure to use.
Was looking through that product page and I saw two display ports, I was sold. Then I came across this: "For Mac customers looking to use dual monitors with an extended desktop this is not currently possible, as MST (Multi Stream Transport) is not supported within the Mac OS."

Freaking Apple having to make everything such a PITA. This explains why there are dozens of adapters and docks out there that still don't have the sole function I'm looking for. All I want is a single adapter for multiple displays. I already spent $2500 on this bloody machine I just want the ability to have more than a single screen through a single device.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
As I suspected, you get 4K HDMI at 30hz, which is awful to work with. Why did Apple specifically have to limit this in the OS? I have a GTX 1080 in one Mac Pro and I have a 4K TV that I use as a monitor.

In Boot Camp, no problem running 4K 60hz with HDMI, in MacOS, only 30. Really sucks.

And yeah, I know I could buy a much more expensive monitor with display port, but it's much more expensive.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
[

Yes, I know. The non-touch bar MBP still has only one port per side.

Those with TB and 2 per side are less likely to need a hub. And even if they do, my main point is that it looks bulky and rather ugly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.