Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning major new health features for future versions of the Apple Watch, according to a new report from BGR citing sources with knowledge of Apple's plans.

The company is said to be working on implementing a new glucose monitoring feature and interchangeable smart bands, which could add new health functionality to the Apple Watch. Both features have been previously rumored in the past, but BGR suggests the functionality could be coming soon.

apple-watch-series-2-2-800x395.jpg
It has been rumored that Apple is interested in glucose monitoring, and it appears that the time may now be right. Previous rumors have stated that Apple might only be able to achieve this through a separate device that might complement the watch, however BGR has learned that this might not be accurate.
In April, a CNBC report suggested Apple had a team of biomedical engineers working to develop sensors for non-invasively monitoring blood glucose, with work on the sensors far enough along that the company had started conducting feasibility trials. BGR claims Apple has hired more than 200 PhDs in the health field in the last year with the aim of "innovating in the health space" through a glucose monitoring feature that will be released in an "upcoming Apple Watch."

The site also says Apple is working on interchangeable "smart watch bands" that would add "various functionality" to the Apple Watch, allowing Apple to introduce new features without driving the base cost of the wearable device higher. Glucose monitoring could perhaps be introduced through one of these smart bands, rather than added to the watch itself.

A smart watch band with such functionality makes some sense, as Apple CEO Tim Cook has said previously that Apple does not want to put the Apple Watch through the FDA approval process, something that would likely be required for the introduction of a glucose monitoring feature. A standalone band would allow Apple to get the approval it needs without impacting the base device.

Along with glucose monitoring, BGR says that an Apple Watch band that adds a camera to the watch is another possibility, as is a battery band that extends available battery life. Apple has filed multiple patents covering modular smart bands for the Apple Watch that connect to the device through the Apple Watch diagnostic port.

While BGR says the new features will be added to an "upcoming new version of the Apple Watch," it is not clear if that means the third-generation Apple Watch rumored to be coming in the fall of 2017. Current information about that device has suggested it will be a more minor update focusing on improving battery life and performance, with few design and hardware updates.

Article Link: Future Apple Watch Rumored to Include Glucose Monitoring and Smart Bands

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Blood chemistry monitoring in the watch could make it more popular than the iPhone. If we had a device that could tell us how what we ate was immediately impacting us, or if something is 'off' with our blood signifying potential illness... wearables would become a near-necessity for everybody.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
There is no current non-invasive way to measure blood glucose in the medical industry - if there was, every diabetic would already be using it and we'd be using it in hospitals. We just aren't. Most of the devices floating about now are hit & miss, not very accurate and require calibrating with an actual blood sample.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Apple might come up with it, but it's pretty damn close to impossible. Plus, I doubt Apple is going to attempt to go down the road of making the Apple Watch a 'medical grade' device - slightly more hoops to jump over there (FDA in the US for a start)... for good reason. If it's not accurate, it will cost lives.

People who think blood glucose can be detected the same way the pulse is detected on the watch (using differential absorption of light), clearly have no understanding of physiology, physics or biochemistry... current monitors make a lot of assumptions.

And for non-diabetics, what the hell are you going to do with the data - the signal to noise ratio shrinks even further, yet we think we're all 'well informed'. The Dunning-Kruger effect on display.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I'd like to see pointers for anything close to that. As far as I can tell, this would be a massive leap.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
You're quoting a report from BGR? LOL Have they every posted anything other than click bait?

Reactions: Huck

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
There is no current non-invasive way to measure blood glucose in the medical industry - if there was, every diabetic would already be using it.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Apple might come up with it, but it's pretty damn close to impossible. Plus, I doubt Apple is going to attempt to go down the road of making the Apple Watch a 'medical grade' device - slightly more hoops to jump over there... for good reason.

People who think blood glucose can be detected the same way the pulse is detected on the watch (using differential absorption of light), clearly have no understanding of physiology, physics or biochemistry...

I have no knowledge on the subject, but I would think $200B in the bank allows for some heavy research and development. Maybe they figured out a new method? Who knows. Health seems to be a major focus for the company moving forward.

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Great. They should be focusing on building a wristwearable healthdevice with clock functionality. Then they will sell the **** out of it.

Reactions: Morgenland

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I actually think this is a great idea. Would be great for individual users / use case depending on need. No reason to put the watch through FDA approval if not needed. A smart band for glucose, sleep, AIDS, whatever.

Yep, or add the cost to a device with a feature you may not need.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There is no current non-invasive way to measure blood glucose in the medical industry - if there was, every diabetic would already be using it.

http://www.gluco-wise.com/

http://www.nemauramedical.com/sugarbeat/

http://www.worldmediatech.com/finance_news/world-first-bg-estimation-in-helo/

?

Maybe not "currently" but on the cusp, so it seems like maybe Apple is potentially right there along with these other products in terms of a very near future advancement in this tech!

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Stop! Before commenting on diabetes, you need to educate yourself on the differences between Type 1 (non-preventable auto-immune disease) vs Type 2 (typically adult onset due to unhealthy lifestyle - genetic - more common and sometimes preventable).

Glucose monitoring on an Apple Watch would be amazing. So much better than pricking a finger every couple hours of the day. Plus, many pumps could communicate directly with the app on the watch to provide a fully automated pancreas system for insulin. It's already something that's available in other forms, but would be great to have in the Watch as an option.

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I have a Series 0. The Series 1 and 2 did not sway me to upgrade one bit. But Series 3 with Glucose monitoring? That could sway me.

Dimer

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
With such added functionality in the watch band at least one could justify paying Apple prices for it. That is much less the case when all it amounts to is a fashion accessory!

Reactions: nekonokami

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Non-invasive blood glucose monitoring would make the new Apple Watch an instant buy for me, a Series 2 owner. Even if that technology made the watch $150 or $200 more expensive than the Series 2, I'd still buy it in a heartbeat and I suspect many other people would do the same.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Sounds kinda cool, but BGR is nothing but click bait and sensationalism. Just go there and read some of the headlines and you'll get it. You can read the articles as well, but I promise you, they aren't that good either.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I have a Series 0. The Series 1 and 2 did not sway me to upgrade one bit. But Series 3 with Glucose monitoring? That could sway me.

Also your battery getting another year older and weaker could sway you. I'm on Series 0 myself and I'm certain that Series 3 will open my wallet. Glucose monitoring would be incredibly cool. (But I'm skeptical of them being able to do it.) But still I'm sure there will be enough upgrades to convince me.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
Maybe not "currently" but on the cusp, so it seems like maybe Apple is potentially right there along with these other products in terms of a very near future advancement in this tech!

Maybe, maybe not. No hospital uses such technology to measure blood glucose IN VIVO.

If people are going to use the data from these to determine insulin doses, it's going to want to be AT LEAST AS ACCURATE as actually measuring the blood glucose level. If it's not, the results can be lethal in the short term, and quite harmful in the long term. And to be used for this purpose it's going to have to be FDA approved (and other regulatory bodies in other countries).

Sometimes these things are not just about how much money you can throw at a problem, despite how much Silicon Valley believes this.

I get it. I love tech. I'm a doctor. This would be great... but I think many in the tech world can get a little carried away sniffing their own farts.

Tread VERY CAREFULLY Apple...

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.