Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the last few weeks, Apple has been testing its autonomous driving software in three Lexus RX450h SUVs, which have been photographed around the San Francisco Bay Area. This morning, MacRumors reader Andrew was able to capture some video of one of the SUVs, giving us our closest look yet at the vehicles Apple is using to test its system.

The SUV is equipped with multiple sensors and cameras, making it easy to see when it's out on the road. It uses a top-end Velodyne 64-channel lidar, two or more radar, and several cameras to navigate. The video was captured on the 101 North, with Apple's vehicle exiting towards University Avenue in Palo Alto.

Apple received a DMV permit to test autonomous vehicles on April 14 and wasted no time getting the cars out on the road. With the SUVs, which are driven by six Apple employees with expertise in autonomous vehicles, Apple is testing a self-driving vehicle system it has in development.

The company has been working on self-driving car technology for several years and was originally rumored to be planning to introduce its own Apple-branded vehicle. That didn't pan out, however, and Apple pivoted to an autonomous driving software platform being developed under the leadership of Bob Mansfield.

Apple has reportedly given its car team until the end of 2017 to prove the feasibility of an Apple-designed autonomous driving system. Such a system could allow Apple to partner with vehicle manufacturers for something akin to a much more advanced version of CarPlay, or it could be built into a future Apple vehicle should Apple decide to revisit manufacturing its own car down the road.

While Apple is notoriously secretive, its ongoing autonomous car testing will be done under the public eye. In California, companies that participate in the Autonomous Vehicle Testing Program must file Disengagement Reports that share many details on the testing process, including miles traveled and any incidents or accidents that occur.

Apple has asked the DMV to alter the rules that govern exactly what data needs to be included in public Disengagement Reports, but it is not yet known if the DMV will comply.

Article Link: Apple's Self-Driving Car Spotted on Freeway in New Video

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
On the way now Apple.

Great progress.

Just curious to know if it's Apple HW or Apple SW making the action go...

Either way, interesting to see positive progress in a forward direction of any capacity.

Best,

USVet

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
So many people (especially the news media) are making a big deal about self driving cars and that human drivers will soon become obsolete. Ever driven in the snow (cant' see the lines), how about pounding rain so heave the roads are partially flooded.

Yes being human does not mean you are necessarily a responsible driver, there are plenty of rotten human drivers, but I think we have a very long way to go before self driving cars can truly replace humans. Too many people uunderestimate the computing power of the human brain and the incredibly complex software/hardware necessary to replicate human ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Dawkins

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
"Hello this is timothy johnson broadcasting live for fox news. 6 apple employees were found dead near the San Francisco bridge. It appears that the car had driven off the bridge. According to the sf police department, they said siri like computer system was confused with map and driven off the bridge. Reporting live. Back to you, johnny."

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Way to be filming while driving Macrumors reader Andrew. You're the reason we need self-driving cars in the first place.

Yes, really irresponsible of MacRumors to post this, knowing that the video was recorded by the person driving the car.

Sometimes you just have to say "no, sorry... we will not endorse your irresponsible choices". Do you have that in you, MacRumors?

Reactions: Eduardo1971

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So many people (especially the news media) are making a big deal about self driving cars and that human drivers will soon become obsolete. Ever driven in the snow (cant' see the lines), how about pounding rain so heave the roads are partially flooded.

Yes being human does not mean you are necessarily a responsible driver, there are plenty of rotten human drivers, but I think we have a very long way to go before self driving cars can truly replace humans. Too many people uunderestimate the computing power of the human brain and the incredibly complex software/hardware necessary to replicate human ability.

Nobody is questioning the power of the human brain, but intelligence is secondary to that. And then layer on factors like influence from drugs and alcohol and distractions. The human brain may be powerful, but the human can be very, very dumb.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Nobody is questioning the power of the human brain, but intelligence is secondary to that. And then layer on factors like influence from drugs and alcohol and distractions. The human brain may be powerful, but the human can be very, very dumb.

I already clearly made that point in my post saying "Yes being human does not mean you are necessarily a responsible driver, there are plenty of rotten human drivers"

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
This is the main problem I see today with humans driving. Where I live there are also tens of thousands of people who learned to drive in other countries or states and they do not know all the rules of the road. It is infuriating to be stuck with drivers who don't know they can turn right at a red light (unless otherwise indicated), don't use their blinkers, or are just plain not paying attention to the road because they are texting, looking up directions, changing music, or doing god knows what else on their phones. Look around next time you're driving... more people are driving distracted than people driving with two hands on the wheel and eyes focused on the road. Its actually terrifying.

Reactions: samden

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Another portrait videographer. Fail.
Yeah it absolutely drives me insane lol. I yell at my kids every time I see them even try to take a video in portrait. Seems to be sticking now. I suppose if you were trying to capture something *while* driving it's the easier way to hold the phone. Invest in a dashcam people. You'll never know when you'll capture something interesting, or could even get you out of trouble one day.

Good choice in the vehicle at least - I have one myself :D

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I already clearly made that point in my post saying "Yes being human does not mean you are necessarily a responsible driver, there are plenty of rotten human drivers"

I guess I missed that because of the awkward run-on sentence that I was not interested in trying to decipher. :p

But, on topic, sorta ... I think Apple should focus on software that detects distracted driving, and then gives the driver an electric shock. :cool:

Reactions: JRobinsonJr

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm more curious about why some driver had their phone out and recording in the first place. What were they doing?

intro.gif

outro.gif

Last edited:

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I guess I missed that because of the awkward run-on sentence that I was not interested in trying to decipher. :p

The sentence is grammatically correct, but thank you for your condescending remark. Reading all the words in a post, for full comprehension, can be beneficial.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I have a few points and questions on this:
  1. Why was a driver recording this? Talk about unsafe.
  2. I still maintain that self driving cars that have no way to override them will not become the norm for at least 2-3 generations, as we actually enjoy driving. I can see something akin to Tesla's Autopilot taking off and becoming feasible.
  3. With all of that equipment on the roof, what does it do to mileage?
  4. How are they going to make all of the equipment look nice and tidy? Because let's face it, no one will want a gar that looks like that.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
So Apple has decided to let the others innovate, then jump in and take control of the autonomous vehicle market, using strongarm and bully tactics to push out the innovators.

Their main focus is figuring out how to make autonomous vehicles a walled garden and locked-in ecosystem.

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
"Hello this is timothy johnson broadcasting live for fox news. 6 apple employees were found dead near the San Francisco bridge. It appears that the car driven off the bridge. According to the sf police department, they said siri like comouter system were confused with map and driven off the bridge. Reporting live. Back to you, johnny."
This reads like you dictated something to Siri and this is what came out.

Reactions: linkmaster02
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.