Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today delivered the 2017 commencement address at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

tim-cook-mit.jpg

Cook first reflected on his inability to figure out what the purpose of his life is, while poking fun at Windows PCs in the process. For context, Cook briefly worked at former PC maker Compaq in early 1998 prior to joining Apple.
I tried meditation. I sought guidance and religion. I read great philosophers and authors. In a moment of youthful indiscretion, I might even have experimented with a Windows PC. And obviously that didn't work.
Cook's search eventually led him to Apple in 1998, when the company was flirting with bankruptcy and struggling to survive.

Tim Cook appears around 7:00 mark

Working with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Cook said he eventually learned "life's biggest and most important question" being "how can I serve humanity?"
It was in that moment, after 15 years of searching, that something clicked. I finally felt aligned with a company that brought together challenging, cutting edge work with a higher purpose. Aligned with a leader who believed that technology which didn't exist yet could reinvent tomorrow's world. Aligned with myself and my own deep need to serve something greater. Of course, at that moment I don't know all of that. I was just grateful to have a psychological burden lifted. But with the help of hindsight, my breakthrough makes more sense. I was never going to find my purpose working some place without a clear sense of purpose of its own. Steve and Apple freed me to throw myself into the work and embrace their mission and make it my own. How can I serve humanity? This is life's biggest and most important question.
Cook concluded his speech by saying he's "optimistic" in the next generation's own journey to serve humanity.
As you go forward today, use your minds and your hands and your hearts to build something bigger than yourselves. Always remember there is no idea bigger than this: as Dr. Martin Luther King said, we are all bound together in a single garment of destiny. If you keep that idea at the forefront of all that you do, if you choose to live your lives at that intersection between technology and the people it serves, if you strive to create the best, give the best, and do the best for everyone--not just for some--then today all of humanity has good cause for hope. Thank you very much.
Cook toured the MIT campus on Thursday. "So impressed by MIT students and faculty who are finding new ways to tackle the world's biggest challenges," he tweeted. "Thanks for sharing your work!"

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Pokes Fun at Windows PCs in Commencement Address at MIT

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
How can I serve humanity? This is life's biggest and most important question.

You could start by allowing consumers to have the right to repair their Apple products. Or not practice planned obsolescence. Or sell products that aren't artificially priced. Or give consumers proper options. Or not evade taxes. Or not stifle innovation.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
SMH! Another cringe moment from this Guy! Tim cook Focus on innovation rather than making fun of other companies
Dude you’re always on this guy’s ass. You expect him to be some robot locked in his office constantly. His job is marketing and brand development, and that’s what he’s doing here. As well as recruiting some of the world’s smartest graduates.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
"I might even have experimented with a Windows PC. And obviously that didn't work. Now I experiment with Macs. And obviously that doesn't work either."

Devastating to watch Mac sales plummet. We need real innovation like 30-day battery life, Blu-ray, 8K display, 5 TB drive, all in a light and thin aluminum body for only $600.

The iMac Pro should be $1,000 AT MOST. I can build a PC with the same specs for less than the crazy $5,000 they are asking for. HomePod should be $50.

Until then I am voting with my wallet and proudly giving my money to real innovative artists like Samsung and Asus. They DESTROY everything Apple makes.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Devastating to watch Mac sales plummet. We need real innovation like 30-day battery life, Blu-ray, 8K display, 5 TB drive, all in a light and thin aluminum body for only $600.

The iMac Pro should be $1,000 AT MOST. I can build a PC with the same specs for less than the crazy $5,000 they are asking for. HomePod should be $50.

Until then I am voting with my wallet and proudly giving my money to real innovative artists like Samsung and Asus. They DESTROY everything Apple makes.
What Mac sales are plummeting? I honestly cannot tell if you're using sarcasm to make a point or truly expecting a computer built for professional to only cost $1000.

On a related note: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...rs-struggle-to-meet-price-with-fewer-features

Last edited:

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Serving humanity?! That's certainly an interesting way to look at a career in developing luxury goods with record-setting levels of markup.

Apple's profit margin is lower than Google's or Microsoft's.

Hint: If you want to serve humanity, don't avoid taxes to that extent.

Yeah, Apple is the biggest taxpayer in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.