Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a message on its regional Taiwan website to announce the imminent opening of its first official retail store in the country. The store is located in the Xinyi District, on the ground floor and basement level of Taipei 101, the fourth tallest skyscraper in the world.

Screen-Shot-2-800x529.jpg

A specific opening date for the store has not yet been provided by Apple, but Taiwanese site AppleDaily speculates it will be by the end of the month, and the wording on Apple's website suggests it can't be far away now. The text on the celebratory page roughly translates to the following:
Taiwan's first Apple Store will soon open in Taipei!

Apple Store - Taipei 101 will provide a space for people to experience Apple's full range of products and services; At the same time, for people to come together to create, share and learn.

Much like how Taiwanese often gather under trees, with a pot of tea, to exchange ideas, share fun, and be prepared for the next journey.

To celebrate the opening, we have invited Taiwanese paper cutting artists, Shih Yi Yan, incorporating the same "tree as a gathering place" theme, to create a large cutout artwork to showcase the beauty of gathering. We welcome everyone to visit the Apple Store when you get a chance.
AppleDaily has grabbed some shots of the hoarding currently concealing the store, which covers 1,322 square meters across two floors.

Screen-Shot-4-800x530.jpg
Image via AppleDaily

Last July, we reported that Apple had posted its first job listings for a Taiwan store, which was soon followed by confirmation of its plans to set up a retail outlet in the country.

Screen-Shot-3-800x535.jpg
Image via AppleDaily

Apple currently only markets products in Taiwan through third-party resellers and direct through its regional online store, so today's announcement should come as good news for Apple fans there.

The company has opened 495 retail stores across 17 countries, including 270 in the United States and 225 elsewhere, since May 2001. We'll let readers know of the Taipei store opening date as soon as we hear of it.

Taipei_101_from_afar-800x600.jpg
Taipei 101 from afar (Image: Peellden)

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Article Link: Apple Announces Imminent Opening of Taiwan's First Apple Retail Store

Last edited:

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Does china get offended by them being involved with Taiwan?

It's not an issue for that kind of business, retail or operations stuff. (e.g. there's certainly no problem with Apple dealing with Foxconn, which is a Taiwanese company, and no problem with Foxconn running factories in China)

Reactions: makr

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Well, they didn't complain (publicly at least) when Apple opened stores in Hong Kong or Macao, so I don't think so.

Unless there's something unique to Taiwan compared to the other two that I don't know about that would get them offended.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Well, they didn't complain (publicly at least) when Apple opened stores in Hong Kong or Macao, so I don't think so.

Unless there's something unique to Taiwan compared to the other two that I don't know about that would get them offended.

Mainland China still regards Taiwan, Republic of China as a renegade province. It regularly makes noise about using its military to force reunification and threatens other nations to not give Taiwan recognition as an independent nation.

Reactions: Kesen

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Apple has posted a message on its regional Taiwan website to announce the imminent opening of its first official retail store in the country. The store is located in the Xinyi District, on the ground floor and basement level of Taipei 101, the fourth tallest skyscraper in the world.

Screen-Shot-2-800x529.jpg

A specific opening date for the store has not yet been provided by Apple, but Taiwanese site AppleDaily speculates it will be by the end of the month, and the wording on Apple's website suggests it can't be far away now. The text on the celebratory page roughly translates to the following:
AppleDaily has grabbed some shots of the hoarding currently concealing the store, which covers 1,322 square meters across two floors.

Screen-Shot-4-800x530.jpg

Image via AppleDaily

Last July, we reported that Apple had posted its first job listings for a Taiwan store, which was soon followed by confirmation of its plans to set up a retail outlet in the country.

Screen-Shot-3-800x535.jpg

Image via AppleDaily

Apple currently only markets products in Taiwan through third-party resellers and direct through its regional online store, so today's announcement should come as good news for Apple fans there.

The company has opened 495 retail stores across 17 countries, including 270 in the United States and 225 elsewhere, since May 2001. We'll let readers know of the Taipei store opening date as soon as we hear of it.

Taipei_101_from_afar-800x600.jpg

Taipei 101 from afar (Image: Peellden)

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Article Link: Apple Announces Imminent Opening of Taiwan's First Apple Retail Store

Ugh, that pollution layer! Think of having to breathe that air into your lungs each day. Reminds me of LA:)

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Cool. Now the Chinese scalpers can spread themselves better instead of drying up the stores in Hong Kong and Japan. LOL.

Still, the more Apple stores are opened, the happier I am as an Apple user as there are more places for me to get support.

Totorotarrot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Cool. Now the Chinese scalpers can spread themselves better instead of drying up the stores in Hong Kong and Japan. LOL.

Still, the more Apple stores are opened, the happier I am as an Apple user as there are more places for me to get support.
U can go to china much easier from Hong Kong than from Taiwan.

Mindcrime

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Houston, Texas
U can go to china much easier from Hong Kong than from Taiwan.

Songshan airport in Taipei has direct flights to China
[doublepost=1497271977][/doublepost]
Mainland China still regards Taiwan, Republic of China as a renegade province. It regularly makes noise about using its military to force reunification and threatens other nations to not give Taiwan recognition as an independent nation.

In Taiwan and China, politics and business are two separate worlds. Taiwan has invested so much money in China that the government basically backs off (aside from the standard business barriers all companies face, Chinese, Taiwanese, and what not).

Much like how Taiwanese often gather under trees, with a pot of tea, to exchange ideas, share fun, and be prepared for the next journey.

Ha. In 20 yrs of living in Taiwan, I've never seen this. Except maybe in the dramas ;)

Reactions: friednoodles

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
What pollution layer? Have you actually been to Taipei? I was there just a month ago and found it to be one of the loveliest, least polluted cities in Asia.

The layer that's through the centre of the the photo, heh.

Having spent all but a few weeks of this year in Taiwan (currently here, but coincidentally due to fly home to Aus tomorrow), I'd say your experience was an exception to the norm. The warmer months do tend to have clear days more frequently though :)

Although the pollution is more consistent and pronounced in the middle and southern Taiwanese cities, it's sadly a regular occurrence in Taipei as well. Granted, not as bad as Hong Kong or many cities to the north in mainland China, but "least polluted" is a bit optimistic, heh.

If you're curious here are objective measurements: http://env.childgrowth.info/air/ Use the single < and > arrows to adjust hours (say, 20:00), then use the double left arrow << to step back through the days. You'll see that as you go back earlier in the year it gets worse and worse. Anything yellow or above and you've got a grey sky instead of a blue sky, and if it's orange, red or purple you're having a bad time... (on days with dark red or above you can't even see where the sun is in the sky)

Right now though it's great because Typhoon Merbok is causing a lot of wind and rain, hurray!

And this is not trying to be down on Taiwan either, because it's a great country with a heck of a lot going for it, and I agree with your experience of Taipei: it's a really beautiful, interesting city, and one I'd highly recommend that people visit if they get the chance. A great combination of a modern city with very efficient public transport surrounded by amazing scenery. It's actually going to be quite sad to leave, although I'm admittedly looking forward to some cooler weather :)

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
What pollution layer? Have you actually been to Taipei? I was there just a month ago and found it to be one of the loveliest, least polluted cities in Asia.

First of all, did the photograph of the extremely dirty layer laying over the city cause you pause to reconsider your analysis of the air quality in Taipei? If it didn't, perhaps this article in the main newspaper will.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2014/05/13/2003590245

Indeed, the pollution is so bad that the health authorities cautions that "children, elderly people and people suffering from asthma or cardiovascular disease are more sensitive to air pollutants and should wear face masks when commuting to reduce harmful exposure." Hopefully, you didn't have children with you or fit in one of those categories.

A recent Reddit discussion warns it had reached dangerous levels and even healthy people were encouraged to stay inside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/5marml/latest_taipei_air_quality/

Last edited:

Kesen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
China gets offended by everything.
[doublepost=1497324795][/doublepost]
First of all, did the photograph of the extremely dirty layer laying over the city cause you pause to reconsider your analysis of the air quality in Taipei? If it didn't, perhaps this article in the main newspaper will.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2014/05/13/2003590245

Indeed, the pollution is so bad that the health authorities cautions that "children, elderly people and people suffering from asthma or cardiovascular disease are more sensitive to air pollutants and should wear face masks when commuting to reduce harmful exposure." Hopefully, you didn't have children with you or fit in one of those categories.

A recent Reddit discussion warns it had reached dangerous levels and even healthy people were encouraged to stay inside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/5marml/latest_taipei_air_quality/
Okay, while this is true there is seriously no comparison at all compared to some cities in China , and as well other parts of Asia. Chengdu right now is 119 on the air quality index , New Taipei where I live is 55. Which is for Asia, extremely low. The fact that you think it’s strange for their to be notices to wear face masks just goes to show I’m guessing you don’t live in Asia. Folks wear face masks for everything, pollen, pollution , common cold, going to the hospital, transiting like that’s not really a big deal. There is obviously a concern tho yes. Most countries are concerned about pollution.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Okay, while this is true there is seriously no comparison at all compared to some cities in China , and as well other parts of Asia. Chengdu right now is 119 on the air quality index , New Taipei where I live is 55. Which is for Asia, extremely low. The fact that you think it’s strange for their to be notices to wear face masks just goes to show I’m guessing you don’t live in Asia. Folks wear face masks for everything, pollen, pollution , common cold, going to the hospital, transiting like that’s not really a big deal. There is obviously a concern tho yes. Most countries are concerned about pollution.

Hey,I'm not trying to pick on Taiwan, I admire the resilience of the people who have prospered despite the hostility of the communists in China. Like I said, it reminds me of the brown layer you can often see engulfing Los Angeles.

Mindcrime

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Houston, Texas

I got thrown off the MRT by metro police for not wearing a mask during the SARS outbreak.

I wasn't being a dick, I just forgot my mask :(

ConfluxNZ

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Forever travelling
The layer that's through the centre of the the photo, heh.

First of all, did the photograph of the extremely dirty layer laying over the city cause you pause to reconsider your analysis of the air quality in Taipei?

Sorry guys, that photo just looked like morning fog to me, which is very common here in NZ during winter :)

Thank you both for the links and related info. I actually had no idea Taipei was so badly polluted - it was near-pristine weather and air quality when I was there; clearly the timing of my visit was spot-on :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.