Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This summer, Minecraft: Pocket Edition on iOS [Direct Link] will gain a free update that plans to introduce cross-platform play between most devices that the popular survival crafting game is available on, including iOS and Android smartphones, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Windows 10 PC, and VR. So if you're playing on iPhone or iPad, you can still join in with a friend who only owns the game on Xbox One or PC.

Game developer Mojang said that it has always wanted to introduce a cross-platform feature, and promised that the new "Better Together Update" will bring a more consistent and unified version of Minecraft. This unification will extend into the game's subtitles, which are being nixed going forward, with Mojang explaining that Minecraft on iOS, Android, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and the VR version, will all simply be called "Minecraft."

minecraft-iphone-creation.jpg
A game all about teamwork, building together and creating communities shouldn't be restricted to one device, which is why our Better Together Update introduces cross-platform play, breaking down the barriers and letting people play the same complete Minecraft with each other across devices! We've wanted to integrate cross-platform for ages, essentially making a version of Minecraft that's consistent no matter what device you're choosing to play on.
Better Together will also introduce cross-platform DLC support, so that any extra content that's purchased on one device will be accessible on any of the devices supported by the new update. As Mojang explained in an example, "If you buy the Greek Mythology pack on Nintendo Switch, you'll also own it on the mobile, Xbox One and Windows 10 Editions too - no extra charge."

iOS players will see the Better Together update in the App Store sometime this summer, and on Android and VR it'll be rolled out as a simple version update as well. On Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, Mojang will give players an entirely new version of the game for free, and promised that all existing worlds and DLC will carry over to the new version of Minecraft.

The Better Together Update will also include an in-game server browser on the main menu, and a "Super Duper Graphics Pack" will come later this fall with 4K HDR support and improved lighting, shadows, and water effects. For more news about the additions, which are coming out of E3 this week, check out Mojang's blog post here.

Article Link: Minecraft on iOS Gaining Cross-Platform Play With Android, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Official 4K HDR support and improved lighting, shadows and water effects. In Minecraft. What a time to be alive, lol.

Cross-platform support is cool, but doesn't the mobile version still have a way to go before it can catch up to the Xbox version? I also remember them making comments a while back about how they wanted the mobile version to be more distinct from the other versions. Guess they're undoing all of that?

Reactions: tyasjs

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Official 4K HDR support and improved lighting, shadows and water effects. In Minecraft. What a time to be alive, lol.

Cross-platform support is cool, but doesn't the mobile version still have a way to go before it can catch up to the Xbox version? I also remember them making comments a while back about how they wanted the mobile version to be more distinct from the other versions. Guess they're undoing all of that?

It's a fluster cuck of a platform right now. No Mac support, windows10/PE edition, Java edition. So on.. Minecraft on mobile is not fun in my opinion. It's a challenge. I want to play on all my devices and that includes, iOS, macOS and Windows 10.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I don't get it, are there missions in minecraft or it is "only" a building game /app....

Honest question not bashing!

Sartoria

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
Seoul, South Korea

To the best of my knowledge, the iOS version of Minecraft already supports infinite worlds, whereas the console versions of Minecraft still have constrained world limits in varying sizes depending on the platform. In that sense, the iOS version of minecraft is quite a bit ahead compared to console versions.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's a fluster cuck of a platform right now. No Mac support, windows10/PE edition, Java edition. So on.. Minecraft on mobile is not fun in my opinion. It's a challenge. I want to play on all my devices and that includes, iOS, macOS and Windows 10.
Yeah, it's a challenge in a bad way. As in the controls are practically unusable. It would be neat if the Mac got the non-java version. I bought it for Switch the other day because it's easier to play it with my kid than lugging my XBO upstairs. OMG I just realized the new Xbox One X would be abbreviated XBOX.
[doublepost=1497277357][/doublepost]
To the best of my knowledge, the iOS version of Minecraft already supports infinite worlds, whereas the console versions of Minecraft still have constrained world limits in varying sizes depending on the platform. In that sense, the iOS version of minecraft is quite a bit ahead compared to console versions.
That may be true but I thought the mobile versions were still well behind in features. Haven't been paying close attention though. Waiting for them to keep updating their new APIs so mods are more feasible on consoles. They're making sure the community store is in place first before they officially allow mods using their new tools so they can monetize it. Smart idea and I'm sure that a lot of people like me who don't play much anymore will come back to the platform when there is a mod store so we can get some of the mods we had on java without the hassle and lag.

JTP3XP

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
I don't see any mention of the tvOS version - do you think that gets the update at the same time as the iOS version?

Reactions: Appleaker

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't get it, are there missions in minecraft or it is "only" a building game /app....

No missions. You just build stuff. Not my thing either, but some people really love it. I have a nephew who has built a small city in the game and he will play for hours and hours.

Reactions: 8692574

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana

I honestly can't explain why I still play the game, it's really baffling even to me. I spent 100+ hours on the Xbox 360 version, and just bought the Switch version almost in a trance lol. It's just one of those games that I can totally mellow out to.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

The M$ version seems to be moving a bit more like real-life Legos where various games and adventures are packaged up, rather than the raw game Minecraft has been. That said, people have been building various kinds of games, adventures, eco-systems off the Java game for years now, so in that regard, some of that is just being packaged now to draw interest and eventually sales.

My issue is that the community is being split between the Java and C platforms? (I think it's C) Part of what a large part of the community loved was the ability to mod it and create servers (i.e.: communities) on their own. The C version seems to be reigning that in, or at least putting it back under M$'s control. For example, there is no server for the C version... aside from a reversed-engineered community effort.

I'm sure if you add the iOS, Win10, etc. it already outnumbers the Java version, and this move above might be the nail in the Java coffin. I'm not sure if I'm happy with a Minecraft future where you buy 'servers' from M$, along with everything else pre-packaged from M$.

Reactions: epca12

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apologies to all for thread jacking. XBox One X = XBOX was the first thing I thought of during the reveal. $500 bucks puts it right at the top end of my wheelhouse. Can't wait.

Guess my daughter is getting my One S. She loves Minecraft on the 360.
I might get one for RDR2 unless Bethesda comes out with something earlier than that. Got too much crap to upgrade this year! Already bought a Switch and iPad Pro 10.5". I do the iPhone Upgrade Program so that won't be a big deal. Planning on switching camera systems from Canon to Sony Mirrorless for my personal work. At least my work is paying for a new iMac soon which might tide me over for the desire to upgrade at home and I can hold out for Coffee Lake or the iMac Pro. So it would be good if 2018 was only XBOX, iMac, and Apple Watch Series 4.

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The M$ version seems to be moving a bit more like real-life Legos where various games and adventures are packaged up, rather than the raw game Minecraft has been. That said, people have been building various kinds of games, adventures, eco-systems off the Java game for years now, so in that regard, some of that is just being packaged now to draw interest and eventually sales.

My issue is that the community is being split between the Java and C platforms? (I think it's C) Part of what a large part of the community loved was the ability to mod it and create servers (i.e.: communities) on their own. The C version seems to be reigning that in, or at least putting it back under M$'s control. For example, there is no server for the C version... aside from a reversed-engineered community effort.

I'm sure if you add the iOS, Win10, etc. it already outnumbers the Java version, and this move above might be the nail in the Java coffin. I'm not sure if I'm happy with a Minecraft future where you buy 'servers' from M$, along with everything else pre-packaged from M$.
You sure do like that 'M$':D

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Apologies to all for thread jacking. XBox One X = XBOX was the first thing I thought of during the reveal. $500 bucks puts it right at the top end of my wheelhouse. Can't wait.

Guess my daughter is getting my One S. She loves Minecraft on the 360.

I personally can't STAND the look of the One X - looks like an ugly, deformed shelf. Or forehead. Not sure where they were going with that.

I still personally think the OG Xbox One is one of the cleanest, most elegantly designed pieces of tech out there; so clean, understated, elegant, very classy.

The tech in the One X is great - but they don't have **** for games and that was the most disappointing E3's I've ever seen. I'll be sticking with PC for all these 'Xbox LAUNCH Exclusives'.

Sorry for thread hijack.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Building games are lots of fun. It's LEGOs without fire walking pain. My kids play in creative 99.44% of the time.

You can play in survival mode and have creepers blow up your shiny new house. Or you can summon Withers to pee in your cheerios. If that's not enough to brown your trousers, you can always fight the End Dragon.

Applestock

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
San Diego Area
There is Mac support. My son plays Minecraft on his MacBook

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Building games are lots of fun. It's LEGOs without fire walking pain. My kids play in creative 99.44% of the time.

You can play in survival mode and have creepers blow up your shiny new house. Or you can summon Withers to pee in your cheerios. If that's not enough to brown your trousers, you can always fight the End Dragon.

Yes, and that's just in the vanilla game as it comes out of the 'box'. When it comes to modded Minecraft, there is everything from economy servers (where you buy and sell what you build, grow, craft, etc.), to pre-designed adventures and 'mini-games' of all sorts, to PvP servers where there are sides and epic battles. The list goes on.

What it appears Microsoft is doing with the C (C++ I guess to be more precise) version, is packaging some of this stuff, including the server/community aspect that is popular on the Java side, into their Store.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
The rate at which Minecraft is being ruined by Microsoft is unbelievable. They are dumbing down the game, trying to appeal to younger audiences, introducing purchases, paying for skins, Xbox live requirements, and now saying that the primary Minecraft version is the pocket/console edition - showing a lack of commitment to the PC version. Sound somewhat familiar?
[doublepost=1497285473][/doublepost]

It's not just building (Although Microsoft are pushing that less challenging aspect because they want to appeal to a younger audience), survival is a big aspect. There are missions of sorts, you get achievements and there are in-game goals. But not like missions you are put on, it isn't that sort of game (For now *cough* Microsoft :mad: *cough*)
If it was just building, it wouldn't have become popular and Microsoft wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Well I am curious cause I always wanted to buy one, but if it was just plain building (even If I can see the fun of it)it would really put me out.

Now with the switch version I got again that ...must try feeling, but don't want it to be a short lived title...

Anyway thank you all for your feedback, it was really appreciated!

Reactions: Weaselboy

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
The rate at which Minecraft is being ruined by Microsoft is unbelievable. They are dumbing down the game, trying to appeal to younger audiences, introducing purchases, paying for skins, Xbox live requirements, and now saying that the primary Minecraft version is the pocket/console edition - showing a lack of commitment to the PC version. Sound somewhat familiar?
What XB live requirements are you talking about? The Java edition is still supported. All content available across all platforms regardless of which platform you purchased on. Cross platform play. Genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I got again that ...must try feeling, but don't want it to be a short lived title...

Well, I'm sure it is different for different types of gamers, but given the money we've spent on it, I feel we got 10x-100x more out of it than money we've every spent on any other title.

My son initially got interested in it on the PS3. We bought it there, and soon after, started playing as a family (as you can do multi-player split-screen). Then I started playing around with it on the PC (Mac in this case) and play there as well some (have host a server).

We play most now on the PS4, and even like 4-5 years later, it's probably one of our most highly played games.

It's kind of a never-ending challenge where you can play it a number of different ways, with different objectives. If you really get into it, there are tons of community based opportunities to get involved with as well.

The primary play modes (with the vanilla game) are building, lose survival/adventure (there are some in-game goals, but you can also make your own), and PvP oriented play (battling, or competing in some way).

Then, as I mentioned, on the server/community front, there are servers dedicated towards all sorts of stuff. Some are communities that build huge scenes or environments (like recreating a real-life city or movie set). Economy servers where people 'purchase' a plot of land and farm/trade what they grow/craft/mine. Battle servers where people join 'factions' and compete against others. Mini-game or adventure servers where people create various challenges or little games to play or compete against, or build out pre-made stories and adventures to work through or solve.

It's quite amazing the variety of types of play for what, on the surface, seems like such a simple game. That's actually the beauty of it, IMO. The simplicity of it is what drives the experience more into the imagination realm. A friend once sent me some cognitive study looking at the difference between lower-res and imagination engagement vs how much the brain focuses on flaws (impending imagination) when something gets closer to real-life (graphically).

What XB live requirements are you talking about? The Java edition is still supported. All content available across all platforms regardless of which platform you purchased on. Cross platform play. Genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion.

They are both still supported, but it seems like more efforts are going into the C++ version. But, just wanted to point out that for the Java version, yes, you buy a character and then can use that character anywhere. But, on console and mobile, you buy the game for each. I'm not sure how Win10 works, as I haven't tried it there yet.

And, the future looks like it's headed towards buying the content from Minecraft Store.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
But, on console and mobile, you buy the game for each. I'm not sure how Win10 works, as I haven't tried it there yet.
Isn't this what the entire article is about?
Better Together will also introduce cross-platform DLC support, so that any extra content that's purchased on one device will be accessible on any of the devices supported by the new update. As Mojang explained in an example, "If you buy the Greek Mythology pack on Nintendo Switch, you'll also own it on the mobile, Xbox One and Windows 10 Editions too - no extra charge.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Not Xbox live, I meant Xbox gamer account requirements for certain features. Of course the Java edition is still supported, in fact they have great plans for it. But the renaming shows where their priorities lie - that was the only conclusion I came to, nothing else. I didn't mention cross-compatible purchases. I was saying the fact that you have to purchase skins and texture packs is ridiculous (coming from a primarily Java edition player).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.