Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that television executives Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg will be joining the company to help craft its new slate of original video programming. The two will lead Apple's video programming efforts on a worldwide scale and report to senior vice president of internet software and services, Eddy Cue.

zack-van-amburg-jamie-erlicht.jpg

Erlicht and Van Amburg are joining Apple from Sony Pictures Television, where they were presidents of the company since 2005 and helped produce shows like AMC's Breaking Bad
and Better Call Saul, Netflix's The Crown, Amazon's Sneaky Pete, and more.

Erlicht said that he and Van Amburg will attempt to create content of "unparalleled quality," matching Apple's success in its other product categories.
"Jamie and Zack are two of the most talented TV executives in the world and have been instrumental in making this the golden age of television," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We have exciting plans in store for customers and can't wait for them to bring their expertise to Apple -- there is much more to come."

"It will be an honor to be part of the Apple team," said Jamie Erlicht. "We want to bring to video what Apple has been so successful with in their other services and consumer products -- unparalleled quality."

"Apple has a relentless focus on delighting customers with their products," said Zack Van Amburg. "We will bring that same intention to Apple's programming and we could not be more excited about what lies ahead."
The hiring announcement today represents Apple's latest move into establishing its presence in the original TV production space, and comes on the heels of the debut of the company's first show on Apple Music called Planet of the Apps. Later this summer, Apple Music will also debut Carpool Karaoke: The Series as its next streaming show.

In today's press release, Apple talked up the pair's history for creating diverse content -- from sitcom The Goldbergs to supernatural action comedy Preacher -- but no word was given on the specific kind of television that Erlicht and Van Amburg would be working on for Apple, or when any of the shows they produce might be coming out.

Article Link: Apple Hires Executives From Sony Pictures TV to Lead Push Into Original Programming

Dimpee

Suspended
Sep 13, 2012
Brilliant news! I really want to see an 'Apple Video' service, like Apple Music, but all of iTunes movies and TV shows available to stream as well as original programming and Live TV.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Looks like another "Service" is coming and where potential of yet another revenue stream. Glad I bought in some more on this latest dip. (fingers crossed)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't know if this should make me sad that Apple is venturing further into an area that isn't their core competency or excited because it will need exciting hardware to support this venture -- like iTunes supported iPod -- but the content will have to be amazing to sell that hardware. (So far Apple's original content is as unintelligent and unwatchable as most network fare.)

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
And another TV content provider will arise with it's own subscription. So to see all your favorite TV shows you need:
- Your cable subscription
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime
- Apple TV (soon)

This fragmentation isn't helping anyone. I'll get my stuff from torrents again and buy the show on DVD if I like a show.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Brilliant news! I really want to see an 'Apple Video' service, like Apple Music, but all of iTunes movies and TV shows available to stream as well as original programming and Live TV.

Does this say that? I read this as a couple of talented guys hired to lead the creation of original content, NOT that these guys are going to lead the way to making an Apple Netflix service with access to "all iTunes movie & TV shows."

Sure, it's possible these guys might work on such a thing too but I think you are reading more into this news than is actually there.

Reactions: V.K.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't know if this should make me sad that Apple is venturing further into an area that isn't their core competency or excited because it will need exciting hardware to support this venture -- like iTunes supported iPod -- but the content will have to be amazing to sell that hardware. (So far Apple's original content is as unintelligent and unwatchable as most network fare.)

What new hardware are you imagining? I read this as guys being hired to lead the creation of video content- presumably, that will be shot in (probably) 4K and rendered at 4K, 1080p and SD for iTunes and/or Apple Music content. What new hardware would this spur on? I guess Apple-centric content could be locked to be only available on a new 4K:apple:TV but that seems destined to arrive with or without such an effort. And, after you own one of those, what else do you need to buy to play videos?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
OK here's a perfect opportunity for Tim to move Eddy to LA and hire a new VP to run Apple's cloud business (including Siri and Maps). If Apple is serious about this it needs to come out from under Apple Music and can't be a part time gig for Cue.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Sony produced Breaking Bad and is producing Better Call Saul, so I, for one, welcome this. These executives actually brought Breaking Bad to Sony. Now if we can get Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould on board to create an Apple TV original series after Better Call Saul is done, that would be amazing.

Reactions: citysnaps

Mstinct

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
I wonder if Apple: knows how many failed projects this pair produced well working at Sony? Having worked with these two several years ago at Sony I can tell you firsthand that they play the numbers game. The more crap they throw against the wall they hope that one or two stick. Google "Gay Robot" and see what results come up that this pair tried to sell to the public while at Sony.

Reactions: Huck

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
Apple won't succeed at producing content if you can't watch it on a 10-year-old playstation, xbox, or your average smart TV.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
New Apple TV with 4K support later this year with the addition of a :apple: TV streaming service, similar to that of :apple: Music. It will include unlimited streaming of all movies and TV shows from the iTunes store, as well as original content produced by Apple. The only question is live programming, if it will be part of this at all. My guess is no, to start. $50 per month.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder if Apple: knows how many failed projects this pair produced well working at Sony? Having worked with these two several years ago at Sony I can tell you firsthand that they play the numbers game. The more crap they throw against the wall they hope that one or two stick. Google "Gay Robot" and see what results come up that this pair tried to sell to the public while at Sony.
Eddy hired Jimmy Iovine. I don't trust his instinct in hiring people.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"Original content?"

All the streaming providers are doing the same, so nothing original here.

If the karaoke and app features are Apple's attempt then yes they need a lot of help in this area.

The truth is making shows that people will watch and therefore sell commercial for is really hard and we, the viewers are very very fickle. What sounds good in a room full of executives may die in the pilot.

The "Blues Brothers" was a skit that turned into a full length movie. "Karaoke" is a small feature/skit which is boring after a few minutes; no full feature there.

I wish them the best of luck!

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Is there not enough TV channels already? How many channels are in your sign-up package? How many do you watch? Do you need any more? Can people not be satisfied?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.