Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tesla is reportedly in talks with music labels to sound out the feasibility of launching its own streaming music service that would come bundled with car ownership.

Recode reports that music industry sources say the electric car maker has had talks with all of the major labels about licensing a proprietary service that would integrate with vehicle dashboards. The service could begin with a free streaming radio option similar to Pandora, said sources, with multiple tiers offered to customers.

maxresdefault-800x450.jpg
"We believe it's important to have an exceptional in-car experience so our customers can listen to the music they want from whatever source they choose," a Tesla spokesperson said. "Our goal is to simply achieve maximum happiness for our customers."
For most observers, a move into music streaming would come as an unexpected development for the car company. However TechCrunch notes that CEO Elon Musk hinted that Tesla was exploring music products at its most recent shareholder meeting in early June.

It's not entirely clear how serious Tesla is about the idea, given that existing streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify would have a huge lead over its own offering. Indeed, Tesla already has a deal with Spotify to provide music for Tesla cars sold outside the U.S., so unless the company has concrete plans to provide something particularly unique to its drivers, these talks are probably best filed under "speculative" for the time being at least.

Article Link: Tesla Said to Be Looking into Launching its Own In-Car Music Streaming Service

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Tesla vehicles in Europe have Spotify built-in already. But in the US, strangely, they don't?

Maybe Tesla couldn't reach a US deal with Spotify or one of the other streaming services so they've decided to go it alone.

kentsydney

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2015
I've reserved a model 3 but get the feeling there's an intense feud between tesla and apple

I don't expect car play...

Reactions: dan110

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I think they should just stick to making cars. Let other companies worry about in-car entertainment.

If Tesla and SpaceX let other companies do the other work, then they would be like Ford (slow to roll out anything) or NASA (300 million to launch a rocket instead of $30 million).
Tesla is amazing, let them do things Elon's way!!!

Reactions: TechGeek76

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If Tesla and SpaceX let other companies do the other work, then they would be like Ford (slow to roll out anything) or NASA (300 million to launch a rocket instead of $30 million).

I totally see your point but getting music deals with all the labels is not going to be cheap. Logistically or deal wise to actually obtain music rights. They would be better to just partner with Spotify to get it built into the infotainment system of their vehicles.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I think Tesla is doing a Moat thing just like Apple has done for years. Tesla chargers aren't compatible with any other electric car so if you install one at your house, You're tied to Tesla and can't switch brands. I guess the same can be done with this music service. The only advantage I see is Tesla could stream the music w/o making customers pay for data using the already existing 3G network that updates the vehicles OTA and delivers Google Maps / Traffic.

Like free supercharging, no data caps on streaming would be cool.

But let's face it, every other music service has deals already and algorithms that play music you're going to like or music your friends like. Why would Tesla spend so much money to re-invent something everyone else has? Just seems like a waste of money and effort.

disagree

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Slackr is fairly unimpressive, but it's what Tesla went with. In a pinch it's fine.

I just use bluetooth on my iphone,

A service that will play nothing but James Taylor, because hey, it's just a bunch of rich old white dudes driving those things anyway.

Work harder.

Reactions: Kengineer

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
They can't do EVERYTHING, there's a line. Some things are better left to other companies that are better than Tesla at what they do. The most obvious one is mining raw materials. Less obvious one is this, but I still believe they should leave this one to the multiple other streaming services out there.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I definitely approve of Tesla building their own infotainment system and not simply handing control over to Apple or Google as they'd be doing if they used CarPlay or Android Auto, but do they really need to work out deals with music labels? Just use Spotify and call it good (for now).

Maybe once the Model 3 and Solar Roof queues aren't months long, Tesla Network is up, and they can legally operate stores and service centers in every state they can focus on building a better music player. But today it seems like an extremely unimportant sidetrack.

Unless Tesla really has something really different they can do, but that seems unlikely. This smells more like when Apple made Apple Radio/Music - they're just clueless about what options are out there and just reinvented the wheel, completely failing to realize the wheel already existed.

Reactions: Analog Kid

PinkDogg

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2015
A service that will play nothing but James Taylor, because hey, it's just a bunch of rich old white dudes driving those things anyway.

There are a few Teslas around my block, all owners are in their 30s or 40s. No "rich old white dudes".
[doublepost=1498228010][/doublepost]
I think Tesla is doing a Moat thing just like Apple has done for years. Tesla chargers aren't compatible with any other electric car so if you install one at your house, You're tied to Tesla and can't switch brands. I guess the same can be done with this music service. The only advantage I see is Tesla could stream the music w/o making customers pay for data using the already existing 3G network that updates the vehicles OTA and delivers Google Maps / Traffic.

Like free supercharging, no data caps on streaming would be cool.

But let's face it, every other music service has deals already and algorithms that play music you're going to like or music your friends like. Why would Tesla spend so much money to re-invent something everyone else has? Just seems like a waste of money and effort.

I agree that building a moat is definitely part of it, but doing everything in house also reduces reliance on other companies, and reduces the time it takes to integrate new features etc. I definitely want to control my iPhone music from the Tesla control panel, but CarPlay would make no sense on the Tesla touchscreen. I think that Tesla doesn't want to rely on any external software development!

Last edited:

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
When nobody does what you need to do you do it yourself.

When those that do what you need are bogged down in the past, you do it yourself.

When you are years behind on releasing your latest project and the item you want to include is done competently by companies that are not likely to be a competitor to you then you use their product and not try to reinvent the wheel. At least until you can afford the time and money it will take to do it right. The Tesla model 3 is 2 years late already. Fix your primary product first.

Reactions: rek71226

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
This is really a great move and people viewing it as trivial and silly are missing the point. We're moving toward level five autonomous vehicles and Tesla is fully on board. We will reach a point (in the not too distant future) where vehicles won't have any driving controls in the cabin. People won't care about horsepower, handling, etc... when a computer is driving for them. Soon choosing a car will be all about the cabin experience. Focusing on things like streaming is skating where the puck is headed; a vehicle experience that is about comfort, entertainment, and productivity while in motion rather than motors and suspension.

Reactions: Analog Kid

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I always try to keep an open mind on things I think aren't the greatest ideas because I'm just "Joe Consumer" and not a forward-thinking tech company, but I'm really doubtful on the success of this one.
If people aren't using traditional radio or satellite (or CDs, tapes, 8-track - haha), they stream from their own devices using Bluetooth or plug into an auxiliary jack. CarPlay and other similar innovations seem adequate to me.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
If true, not sure I get it. Tessa wants to pay for its own contracts to stream audio to its few hundred thousand owners (no one knows the exact numbers because they won't say) instead of encorporating any number of existing platforms? Really?

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Please look back on this comment in 5 years. You just don't see it yet.

Yep I see it alright. The only way it works long term is for Tesla to go bankrupt at least once first. The debt load is just getting too high. I see the benefit of the technology, but the technology is just not there yet. The early adopters are going to pay dearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.