Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since 2015, Apple has been using LIDAR-equipped mapping vehicles to capture street-level imagery for the Apple Maps app. Apple has expanded the areas where it is collecting data several times over the course of the last two years, and according to the latest update to the company's support page, Apple Maps vehicles have recently made their way into Spain.

Apple regularly highlights the countries and cities around the world where its vehicles are located, and between July 3 and August 13, Apple will collect data in the Biscay province of Spain, in Arratia-Nerbioi, Busturialdea, Durangaldea, Enkarterri, Greater Bilbao, Lea Artibai, and Uribe-Kosta.

Apple-Van-New-Jersey-800x385.jpg

Apple is also collecting data in new areas in England, France, Italy, and multiple U.S. states during the months of July and August, but Apple Maps vehicles have been seen in these countries in the past. Data collection in Vermont, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire in the United States may be new, however.

According to Apple's support page, the information collected by the mapping vehicles will be used to improve Apple Maps, but just what Apple plans to do with the data remains unclear.

Because Apple promises to blur faces and license plates ahead of publication, there's been speculation that the company is working on a "Street View" addition to Apple Maps to mirror Google Maps, but it's also possible that the imagery is being used to bolster the autonomous driving software that's in development at Cupertino headquarters, as was recently proposed by analyst Neil Cybart.

Over the course of the last two years, Apple's mapping vehicles have surveyed more than 30 U.S. states and several countries including England, Ireland, Italy, France, and Sweden.

Article Link: Apple Begins Surveying Spain With Mapping Vehicles

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Having just returned from Spain using Google maps extensively, Apple has a long way to go. We were in big cities and in small villages and Google maps were spot on ....
We were staying in a village of no more than 300 people and every alley and small street was accurately mapped. Our hotel would have been extremely difficult to find without it.
Like I said Apple has a long way to go to make me a convert as I come from a group that remembers "Apple Maps bad"!

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Whatever Apple does with this data, I hope they take their time. Apple Maps was rushed in the first place and should’ve never happened.
Doesn't just now getting into Spain and still only being in 60% of US states not feel slow enough already?
[doublepost=1499453934][/doublepost]
Having just returned from Spain using Google maps extensively, Apple has a long way to go. We were in big cities and in small villages and Google maps were spot on ....
We were staying in a village of no more than 300 people and every alley and small street was accurately mapped. Our hotel would have been extremely difficult to find without it.
Like I said Apple has a long way to go to make me a convert as I come from a group that remembers "Apple Maps bad"!
What specific issues did you find with Apple Maps directions in Spain?

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy

So you used Google Maps, good for you.

But where's the control group? Who compared your Google directions to Apple's? From your post, nobody.

Don't know about Spain, but here in Italy Apple Maps is all I use after some massive Google Maps fails (one time it brought me in the middle of nowhere in the country of Parma, and voice started to stutter like Max Headroom. Never again).

Sangrego

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
I live in Spain. And I use Google, Waze and Apple Maps. When you need to find something, Google is the best option, Apple is getting better, but if I don't want to risk I use Google. Apple is the most convenient, as I use Apple apps like calendar and Siri, it's the easiest and safest way to introduce some directions while driving. I like Waze for long journeys, as I can get more information about police, works, speed controls...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Because Apple promises to blur faces and license plates ahead of publication, there's been speculation that the company is working on a "Street View" addition to Apple Maps to mirror Google Maps, but it's also possible that the imagery is being used to bolster the autonomous driving software that's in development at Cupertino headquarters, as was recently proposed by analyst Neil Cybart.

Why not both?
<whynotboth.littlegirl.jpg/meme>

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Google has the same talent level as Apple, if not better. Google has the same endless financial resources of Apple.
Net, Apple can't catch up with Google on maps. theyre nowhere close.

What I don't understand is why on earth is Siri so bad vs. Google assistant.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
A
Aren't they they same thing?

;)

(FWIW, Apple's support page lists only cities in England. Nothing in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland yet.)
And people wonder why Scots want independence.

This is like hearing people refer to the Queen of England! There hasn't been a monarch of England since 1707!

Reactions: rbrian

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just because Street view may take time from Apple doesn't mean it will be any more perfect than Googles stuff up with "non blurring of faces" Google got in trouble for.

Remember, this is Apple's "first attempt" at this... There must be room for stuff-up's

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Apple has a lot of great products and services, but Maps isn't one of them. They can't even spell many street names correctly. It is "St", not "Saint".

If this story is about street view, I wonder why they aren't using iPhone user data (with permission). AR kit uses data to get surfaces, photos can be used for textures, etc. I'm sure they could build up a 3D virtual map with many phones working together.

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Yes. I use StreetView every single day. That and bicycle directions.

Bicycle directions on Google Maps = Terrible. Tried to get them to speak to my city about incorporating bike lanes. City got no response. You want irrelevant and dangerous biking directions? Use Google Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.