Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG Chemical will be the sole supplier of batteries for Apple's "iPhone 9" next year, according to The Korea Economic Daily. If the report is accurate, the South Korean firm has scored a big win, since Apple usually takes a multi-vendor approach when it comes to sourcing batteries for its iPhones.

Citing industry insiders, the newspaper said LG has made a sizable investment to bolster the capability of its facilities and that production of the batteries would begin in 2018.

lg_logo.jpg
"LG has invested hundred of billions of Korean won for related facilities and plans to start mass production from early next year," the Korean-language report quoted a source in the chemical industry as saying.
The report added that the battery LG will produce for the so-called "iPhone 9" is L-shaped, a design that's also previously been tipped for this year's OLED "iPhone 8" and should allow for better battery life.

The L-shape, which is bent at the bottom, represents an increase in size over current rectangular iPhone batteries and depends on the PCB mainboard being more compact to make space for it. Today's report also claims the altered shape is expected to result in faster charging speeds.

A report in May claimed the iPhone 9 will launch in two 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED variants, with Samsung expected to be the supplier for the OLED displays.

(Via CNBC.)

Article Link: Report Claims LG Will Be Sole Supplier of Batteries for Next Year's 'iPhone 9'

Reactions: Sunny1990

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
"A report in May claimed the iPhone 9 will launch in two 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED variants," :- Macrumors Quote
-----------

LOL! These early iPhone 9 rumors are making iPhone 8 feel outdated. Anyway 6.4"-inch iPhone would be a dream come true for me :D

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Wow, did I miss the iPhone8's launch? jk.... on topic, is it likely this somewhat risky single-vendor approach netted Apple a better component price? It should at least provide more uniform battery performance without noticeable unit to unit variations as we've occasionally seen with screens and processors in the past.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Surely it depends on whether Apple continues using batteries at all... ?

(Only half-joking!)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow, did I miss the iPhone8's launch? jk.... on topic, is it likely this somewhat risky single-vendor approach netted Apple a better component price? It should at least provide more uniform battery performance without noticeable unit to unit variations as we've occasionally seen with screens and

As more advanced battery technology continues to evolve, I think Apple partnering with a larger vendor like LG can allow them to shift their focus to the iPhone Development and architecture. LG is a leader here, so I think using another manufacturer to develop there batteries is good, similarly how Apple uses TSMC and Samsung for the "A" Series chip development.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
No way this is going to be called iPhone 9.

I still expect this years iPhone to be some kind of "Edition" without number, released next to the 7S and next year they'll go with the 8.

Unless they start with a new naming scheme alltogether. Like "Pro" or something

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Seriously? We're already claiming suppliers for the iPhone 9? Just the other day there was an article about an iPhone 8 supplier followed by another that claimed the exact opposite. Why even bother reporting claims that are so obviously inaccurate?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Seriously? We're already claiming suppliers for the iPhone 9? Just the other day there was an article about an iPhone 8 supplier followed by another that claimed the exact opposite. Why even bother reporting claims that are so obviously inaccurate?

Obvious how? By their nature, some conflicting rumours will be inaccurate, some will prove to be accurate, but we don't know which is which until we _know_... and then it's not a rumour anymore, is it? If you know for a fact a reported rumour is inaccurate before anyone else you can submit your report to MacRumors and they might well make a story out of it, if you like. :)

I mean the second sentence of the article spells out exactly why it is deemed worth bothering...

If the report is accurate, the South Korean firm has scored a big win, since Apple usually takes a multi-vendor approach when it comes to sourcing batteries for its iPhones.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Wow, forget the iPhone 6SSS- I mean, iPhone 8. I seriously cannot wait for the 9. 2017 is just a filler year for the impatient. Next year is the REAL iPhone upgrade for REAL iPhone enthusiasts.

Also don't act so surprised that we're getting 2018 rumors "already". We were getting iPhone 8 rumors this time last year, too.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore

The L-shape, which is bent at the bottom, represents an increase in size over current rectangular iPhone batteries and depends on the PCB mainboard being more compact to make space for it. Today's report also claims the altered shape is expected to result in faster charging speeds.

Seriously? How does the shape of it affects the charging time?

Reactions: justperry

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wow, did I miss the iPhone8's launch? jk.... on topic, is it likely this somewhat risky single-vendor approach netted Apple a better component price? It should at least provide more uniform battery performance without noticeable unit to unit variations as we've occasionally seen with screens and processors in the past.

This is a great point for two reasons. 1 You're right. There should be less variation in performance. 2. It points to why our anecdotes about performance are essentially useless. One person says their phone gets great battery life, another says the opposite. Both could be truthful because the components are an amalgamation of parts from different manufacturers.

The flip side of uniformity is the danger from single supplier shortages or malfunctions.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
Today's report also claims the altered shape is expected to result in faster charging speeds.

That's interesting. I wouldn't think that the shape of a battery affects its charging speed but its composition did. So same battery and different shapes equals different charging times?

Reactions: 69Mustang

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Seriously? How does the shape of it affects the charging time?

Exactly, if it's the same tech it won't matter whether it's a sphere, rectangle or whatever shape.

Everyone knows Panasonic partnered with Tesla for gigafactories. Does LG have its own patents or do they license tech from Panasonic?

You don't need a patent if you make batteries from 'base materials', example: a car battery is made from 2 metals and electrolyte, this is not much different.

You can patent a way to make the battery though.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
What's with the naming? Apple hasn't broken the naming of the iPhone yet in years. 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, ... ? Wouldn't it be safe to assume it's the 7S and next year the 8? Or are they done with the S moniker?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
What's with the naming? Apple hasn't broken the naming of the iPhone yet in years. 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, ... ? Wouldn't it be safe to assume it's the 7S and next year the 8? Or are they done with the S moniker?

I think it's being assumed there will be a 7S model this year, but also an additional extra-special 10th anniversary-type iPhone '8', so named now by everyone for the sake of clarity.

IMHO it would be odd for Apple to introduce phones called the 7S and 8 at the same time this year, so the '8' will probably be called something different... iPhone Pro... iPhone Edition... something. Then next year's '9' as per this article could be the actually named '8' or they could scrap the numbering and 'S' convention altogether.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
I think it's being assumed there will be a 7S model this year, but also an additional extra-special 10th anniversary-type iPhone '8', so named now by everyone for the sake of clarity.

IMHO it would be odd for Apple to introduce phones called the 7S and 8 at the same time this year, so the '8' will probably be called something different... iPhone Pro... iPhone Edition... something. Then next year's '9' as per this article could be the actually named '8' or they could scrap the numbering and 'S' convention altogether.
That makes sense. And perhaps they're trying to be on the same numbering as Samsung so the phone doesn't sound older or something. Who knows?

Reactions: dampfnudel

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Exactly, if it's the same tech it won't matter whether it's a sphere, rectangle or whatever shape.
While true shape really has nothing to do with it, an L shape would increase the battery size. The bigger the battery, the faster they can charge it.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
After our not quite 3 year imac lg lcd died and they want $500 for a new screen (only hardware) and a friend said their lg cell phones stopped operating in less than a year and lg refused to honor the warranty and now there is a class action lawsuit, no thanks.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Two days later: Digitimes reports that Apple will be using Amperex as supplier for batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.