Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its June quarter earnings results, which beat Wall Street expectations for both revenue and iPhone sales, Apple's stock opened at an all-time high of $159.52 today. Apple also opened with a market cap of nearly $830 billion, moving it closer to becoming a trillion dollar company.

aapl-aug-2.jpg

Investors and analysts alike remain optimistic about the so-called iPhone 8 expected later this year. Drexel Hamilton analyst Brian White today said his Wall Street firm continues to believe Apple remains among the most underappreciated stocks in the world, and maintained his lofty $202 price target.

MacRumors obtained the latest research notes from several Apple analysts with updated AAPL price targets and ratings.
aapl-price-targets-august-2017.jpg

MacRumors has also published a complete transcript of Apple's post-earnings conference call with CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri.

AAPL is currently trading in the $156 to $157 range after falling back a few dollars since the opening bell, but it's still up over 4 percent.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Opened at Record of Nearly $160 Per Share With $830 Billion Valuation

Reactions: Sunny1990

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
As much as I love this, I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach is that there could be a big, post-Supercycle let-down. The market has traditionally assigned a P/E of 12 to the stock. While I've always felt 12 is an artificially low valuation, the market has behaved otherwise. With the stock now trading with a P/E in excess of 18, the Supercycle would have to be super indeed in order to raise earnings to the point where EPS would bring a $160 stock into the P/E 12-14 range.

I can hope that Apple keeps churning out great results and new product categories so that earnings can rise to those levels on a sustained basis... but with a market that's unusually unforgiving when it comes to Apple, I'm not going to count on it. My mantra will continue to be, "Buy, hold, expect bad news, and be prepared to smile at the end of 10 years."

Reactions: Avieshek

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Or just a year ago. It's grown nearly 60% in just over a year. Invest now so you don't repeat this again, and again. It's only going up. EVERYTHING is only going up. The right time to invest is today. Just gotta do your homework.

Don't think next year. Think 2030.

We will look back at this small Apple that makes gadgets with nostalgia. The stock could rise tenfold in that timeframe.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Those "target price" tables are meaningless unless you say what the time frame is. Are they targets for next week, next quarter, 6 months, 12 months? If it's anything short term, those last three firms' analysts look like idiots since those targets have already been exceeded

Reactions: Little dude

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
As much as I love this, I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach is that there could be a big, post-Supercycle let-down

History is your friend, as it already happened with the post-iPhone 6 hangover.

Check out where the stock was in August 2014, pre-iPhone 6 and where it is now, and extrapolate.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Or just a year ago. It's grown nearly 60% in just over a year. Invest now so you don't repeat this again, and again. It's only going up. EVERYTHING is only going up. The right time to invest is today. Just gotta do your homework.
Now is probably the worst time to invest. The biggest gains have been made, and there are always roadbumps ahead. Best time to invest is after a recession. If you bought in 2008 for example, you're golden now.
[doublepost=1501686332][/doublepost]
Don't think next year. Think 2030.

We will look back at this small Apple that makes gadgets with nostalgia. The stock could rise tenfold in that timeframe.
By 2030 Chinese phones will have made huge gains in the market, I'd guess. Better to buy index funds for long-term growth rather than focusing on specific companies.

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
If only I invested in AAPL 10 years ago... or even had money to invest 10 years ago.
I have been buying it since 2004. I've never sold a single share of it. When we bought our house in Berkeley, I almost did, but then I just borrowed money from my 401k and took out a mortgage AFTER buying the house and repaid the 401k loan before the tax hit. If you ever wondered how people do those all cash offers, thats how a lot of them do it. I have a really good finance guy.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If only I invested in AAPL 10 years ago... or even had money to invest 10 years ago.

I bought AAPL when Gilbert Amelio was still CEO of Apple. :D

(too bad I only bought a small handful)

For those who don't know: Amelio was the Apple CEO that ran Apple during its near-bankruptcy era in the late 90s. But he should be given credit for bringing back Steve Jobs, and Amelio was gracious enough to step down and allow SJ to take full control once more. I also give Amelio credit for eWorld and the Newton.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Those "target price" tables are meaningless unless you say what the time frame is. Are they targets for next week, next quarter, 6 months, 12 months? If it's anything short term, those last three firms' analysts look like idiots since those targets have already been exceeded
Exactly. And when were each of the targets issued? 9 months ago? Yesterday?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Where are the Tim Cook haters now? you've all gone quite, wonder why! the guys switched on, Steve knew.

Apple's current success is entirely due to Steve Jobs & Jonny Ive. Tim Cook has done **** all apart from stear the ship in the same direction.

Reactions: tongxinshe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.