Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shipped an estimated 2.8 million Apple Watch units in the June quarter, an increase of 56 percent from an estimated 1.8 million shipments in the year-ago quarter, according to a new report by research firm Strategy Analytics.

apple-watch-trio.jpg

Strategy Analytics previously estimated Apple Watch shipments totaled 13.6 million in 2015, 11.6 million in 2016, and 3.5 million last quarter, suggesting Apple shipped its 30 millionth Apple Watch at some point in the past three to four months.

Specifically, Apple Watch shipments have now reached an estimated 31.5 million units over the product's lifetime.

Despite the milestone, Strategy Analytics claims Apple trails Fitbit and Chinese company Xiaomi, estimated to be the world's largest wearables vendor, but both sell less expensive fitness trackers.

Xiaomi shipped an estimated 3.7 million wearables in the June quarter, according to Strategy Analytics, while Fitbit on Wednesday reported sales of 3.4 million devices in the same period, down from 5.7 million a year ago.

strategy-analytics-q3-2017-wearables-apple-watch.jpg

"Apple has for now lost its wearables leadership to Xiaomi, due to a lack of presence in the sizeable fitness band subcategory," said Cliff Raskind, Director at Strategy Analytics. "However, the rumored upcoming Watch Series 3 launch with enhanced health tracking could prove to be a popular smartwatch model and enable Apple to reclaim the top wearables spot later this year."

It's important to acknowledge these are estimated figures, and that shipments do not necessarily reflect sales. And, as mentioned, Xiaomi doesn't participate in the high-end smartwatch market, and Apple doesn't compete in the low-end fitness tracker market. It's essentially an apples to oranges comparison.

Apple doesn't break out Apple Watch sales like it does with iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Instead, it groups the wearable under its "Other Products" category, alongside Apple TV, AirPods, Beats, iPods, and other accessories.

Apple reported "Other Products" revenue of $2.7 billion in the June quarter, up 23 percent on year.

In its post-earnings conference call, Apple CEO Tim Cook once again talked up how well Apple Watch is supposedly selling.

"Sales of Apple Watch were up over 50 percent in the June quarter," said Cook. "It's the number one selling smartwatch in the world by a very wide margin."

"Apple Watch is having a positive impact on peoples' health and daily lives, and motivating them to sit less and move more," he added. "With features like built-in GPS and waterproofing, Apple Watch Series 2 is the perfect companion for hiking, running, and swimming."

Cook has made similar statements in the past. In the March quarter, he noted that sales of Apple Watch nearly doubled year over year. In the December quarter, he announced that Apple Watch had its best quarter ever.

Strategy Analytics doesn't disclose its exact methodology of calculating Apple Watch shipments for competitive reasons, but executive director Neil Mawston has told MacRumors the research firm uses "a blend of channel checks, financial analysis, and other sources" when asked in the past.

"It is the same methodology we have used for phones since the 1990s and for wearables since the modern market first emerged circa 2013," he added.

The focus now turns to the fall, when Apple is rumored to debut Apple Watch Series 3 models, potentially alongside its new lineup of iPhones.

Article Link: Apple Watch Has Now Surpassed Estimated 30 Million Shipments Since Launching in 2015

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
It shows when Apple doesn’t give their data...

Each crappy “statistics company” gives a very different number.

It’s like phones, throwing at the wall and it sticks, because they use Apple supplied data and then make the rest up...

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The comment about lost wearable leadership is a joke... Any comment about Apple losing leadership in a market they don't plan on entering any time soon, and is in no way comparable to the one they are in, is a joke.

Guess Mercedes lost their leadership of the auto Market 110 years ago; why on earth didn't they realize they were doomed back then!

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yup, I've been saying this all along. A less featured watch/fitness band, priced at $150 or so, would fly off the shelves.
Lets face it, many don't want or need 3rd party apps, but rather prefer tracking health info within the safety of Apple's standard apps.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
"Apple has for now lost its wearables leadership to Xiaomi, due to a lack of presence in the sizeable fitness band subcategory," said Cliff Raskind, Director at Strategy Analytics. "However, the rumored upcoming Watch Series 3 launch with enhanced health tracking could prove to be a popular smartwatch model and enable Apple to reclaim the top wearables spot later this year."
You are comparing sales of the Apple Watch to cheap Xiaomi wearables?

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I'm on holiday in Cornwall, England. They're all over the place here. I've probably seen the same number of Apple Watches as I have FitBits.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
If Apple ever do figure out non-invasive transcutaneous glucose monitoring, sales of the Apple Watch will absolutely rocket...

Until then, yes, it is just an expensive smart watch.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Apple watch may take off when it doesn't need a phone tethered. I'm still patiently waiting for a cellular modem to be included. Samsung has had this for years. Until then I have no interest in strapping additional weight onto my body. A watch with a cell modem lets me ELIMINATE WEIGHT from my body if I can ditch the phone.

Reactions: Thunderhawks

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
2017 does appear to have been a tipping point. Great stuff.

Tbh I don't really care about the iPhone all the much - if I return to iOS from Android, it will be because of the Apple Watch.

(Saying that, I love my Samsung Gear S3 but AW will offer a much more complete range moving forward, it's clear).

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
i dont have one. cause i dont like the design, thickness and poor battery. ideal time between charge is one week for me.
i would have preferred a larger display, a slightly curved and wider (along the hand) form factor. but guess thats not gonna happen any time soon. lol

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Every time apple releases something new everyone always says how it's going to flop and apple always proves them wrong.

New MacBook Pro
iPhone 7
iPad Pro
Apple Watch

And lo and behold they all sold like hotcakes. I wonder why so many supposedly apple fans on here want the company to fail so badly.

As an apple fan well done apple.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple watch may take off when it doesn't need a phone tethered. I'm still patiently waiting for a cellular modem to be included. Samsung has had this for years. Until then I have no interest in strapping additional weight onto my body. A watch with a cell modem lets me ELIMINATE WEIGHT from my body if I can ditch the phone.

For every user with your stance, there are 1,000 who can’t imagine paying for a separate phone line for a watch. As for it “taking off” I guess billions in profitable sales and domination of the category isn’t enough?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
After 2 years, 99% of consumers are still scratching their heads and trying to figure out what they are good for.

It isn't that they are useless, but they don't add anything practical to most people's lives or productivity. They are profligate kitsch-novelty.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
FitBit wins on two main points: Price and battery life.

I would really like an Apple Watch, but one of the key health metrics I want to use it for is sleep tracking. The Apple Watch is useless for that, since its battery doesn't last a full day. I picked up a FitBit Charge 2 for $150, and I love it. Its battery lasts a week, and can charge fully in about an hour.

The Apple Watch packs an impressive amount of technology in a tiny package, but it needs better battery life and a lower price. That's why it's not a mainstream player just yet.

Reactions: TwoBytes and blazik

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I have recently seen a big uptick here in Newcastle over the past few months - rarely saw them at all before... and now often see at least 5 or so in every boot camp class at my gym in addition to regularly seeing them in day-to-day life out and about

Reactions: Brenster

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Can't imagine leaving my phone at home even if the watch had LTE they just do different things. Similarities but barely.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
After 2 years, 99% of consumers are still scratching their heads and trying to figure out what they are good for.

It isn't that they are useless, but they don't add anything practical to most people's lives or productivity. They are profligate kitsch-novelty.

Boy...that's a little presumptuous...

I would take the stance that their sales figures alone indicate that people not only know what they are getting, they like it so much they are telling others to buy it.

And the battery life seems to be improved dramatically in the 2nd gen. I can go at least 2 days between charges, although I typically place on my nightstand to charge at night (I love using it as my "clock" with it's auto awake function). But if I only charged it while I was showering or driving to work, I could wear it the rest of the time including while I sleep without issue.

I only bought one since at the time, it was cheaper than getting my Omega repaired and I needed a watch (hard to NOT wear one when you are used to having one on all the time). Now I can't live without it. The notifications alone make it perfect for me (I'm in a LOT of meetings throughout the day). No more being rude and pulling out my phone every time it buzzes.

And it has actually made me more aware of my heakth tracking. I don't know...I love it...I know it can and will get better, but for me, it's awesome.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

I would really like an Apple Watch, but one of the key health metrics I want to use it for is sleep tracking. The Apple Watch is useless for that, since its battery doesn't last a full day. I picked up a FitBit Charge 2 for $150, and I love it. Its battery lasts a week, and can charge fully in about an hour.

The Apple Watch packs an impressive amount of technology in a tiny package, but it needs better battery life and a lower price. That's why it's not a mainstream player just yet.
The battery will last a full day. If you charge in the morning when you shower (or whenever that is) you will maintain battery throughout the day without much trouble.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

The series 2 lasts a good two days now, substantially better than my old series 0. Might be worth a look again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.