Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's notebook shipments totaled an estimated 3.98 million units in the second quarter of the 2017 calendar year, representing a quarter-on-quarter increase of 17.1 percent, according to new data published by market research firm TrendForce.

Apple gained ground on ASUS at fifth place in the second quarter ranking, with a 0.7 percent increase over the previous quarter to leave both companies taking a 10 percent share of the market. TrendForce highlighted Apple's decision to upgrade its 12-inch MacBook as one of the reasons behind the gains.

12-inch-macbook-macbook-pro-duo.jpg
Apple trailed closely behind ASUS at fifth place in the second-quarter ranking. The updated 12-inch MacBook helped expand MacBook shipments by 17.1 percent from the first quarter to 3.98 million units. TrendForce also anticipates a double-digit sequential growth for third-quarter MacBook shipments as Apple will focus on the MacBook Pro series during the year's second half.
Global notebook shipments in the second quarter of 2017 registered a sequential quarterly increase of 5.7 percent and a year-on-year increase of 3.6 percent, totaling 39.96 million units. Sales in the U.S. and the arrival of new product models were said to be the main driving forces behind the second quarter shipments, with strong demand in the entire first half of 2017 exceeding market expectations.

Tapping into back-to-school sales, HP's market share increased by 8.5 percent, allowing the company to retain first place in the global shipment ranking for the fifth consecutive quarter, while Dell posted the largest sequential increase of 21.3 percent to take third place in the ranking. Lenovo meanwhile shipped just 8.05 million units in the second quarter, representing a year-on-year drop of 2.4 percent, with slowdown in the notebook market in the Asia-Pacific region said to have had an impact on the brand's performance.

Trendforce-table.jpg

Acer's aggressive expansion in the Chromebook market did little to fend off rival models in the U.S., causing its notebook shipments to drop by 3.5 percent from the first quarter to 3.22 million units, with Acer remaining in sixth place in the global ranking.

TrendForce noted there are worries in the market that the strong shipment result for this year's first half reflects demand pulling ahead, so shipments in the second half might be comparatively weak. Despite that, third-quarter notebook shipments are projected to increase by another 3-5 percent versus the previous quarter.

Apple updated its 13-inch and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro notebooks in June, introducing faster processors and improved GPUs just eight months after the machines were last refreshed. It also introduced a new low-price 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar with a 128GB SSD. No other changes were made to the MacBook Pro.

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is working on a high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro model that will include 32GB RAM, with production on this machine to begin early in the fourth quarter of 2017. Kuo claimed the MacBook Pro will be "the most significantly redesigned product this year" with desktop-class RAM to appeal to high-end users.

Article Link: Apple's Q2 2017 MacBook Sales Increase 17 Percent Over the Previous Quarter

Last edited:

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Who would've known that updating Macbooks would lead to more sales :D

As if Apple is the only manufacturer updating their line.

Now, for the real question...

Where is the champion Microsoft on the table?

Is this the Microsoft’s heat from the Surface? Are people asking for touchscreens or not? Is a $6 dollar USB-C to USB-A adapter (set of 2 obvs.) from Amazon a problem for people buying $2000 computers?

Don’t tell me Microsoft is having problems making people part with the cash, because Apple, the expensive one, clearly isn’t!

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Just last week, Consumer Reports revealed their 2017 Reliability ratings - and Microsoft was dead last, with Surface failure rates of 25%. Pretty bad.

Tops (in reliability order) were: Apple, Samsung, Acer, HP, Asus, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba, and then Microsoft.
Still doesn't make me want to buy one of Apples new insanely-overpriced models. When my 2015 (I think) MBP finally stops working I guess I'll have a decision to make. Hopefully that decision doesn't involve a silly emoji bar.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Still doesn't make me want to buy one of Apples new insanely-overpriced models. When my 2015 (I think) MBP finally stops working I guess I'll have a decision to make. Hopefully that decision doesn't involve a silly emoji bar.

Maybe you should look into what you can do with the touch bar before calling it "a silly emoji bar".

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Apple's notebook shipments totaled an estimated 3.98 million units in the second quarter of the 2017 calendar year, representing a quarter-on-quarter increase of 17.1 percent, according to new data published by market research firm TrendForce.

Apple gained ground on ASUS at fifth place in the second quarter ranking, with a 0.7 percent increase over the previous quarter to leave both companies taking a 10 percent share of the market. TrendForce highlighted Apple's decision to upgrade its 12-inch MacBook as one of the reasons behind the gains.

12-inch-macbook-macbook-pro-duo.jpg
Global notebook shipments in the second quarter of 2017 registered a sequential quarterly increase of 5.7 percent and a year-on-year increase of 3.6 percent, totaling 39.96 million units. Sales in the U.S. and the arrival of new product models were said to be the main driving forces behind the second quarter shipments, with strong demand in the entire first half of 2017 exceeding market expectations.

Tapping into back-to-school sales, HP's market share increased by 8.5 percent, allowing the company to retain first place in the global shipment ranking for the fifth consecutive quarter, while Dell posted the largest sequential increase of 21.3 percent to take third place in the ranking. Lenovo meanwhile shipped just 8.05 million units in the second quarter, representing a year-on-year drop of 2.4 percent, with slowdown in the notebook market in the Asia-Pacific region said to have had an impact on the brand's performance.

Trendforce-table.jpg

Acer's aggressive expansion in the Chromebook market did little to fend off rival models in the U.S., causing its notebook shipments to drop by 3.5 percent from the first quarter to 3.22 million units, with Acer remaining in sixth place in the global ranking.

TrendForce noted there are worries in the market that the strong shipment result for this year's first half reflects demand pulling ahead, so shipments in the second half might be comparatively weak. Despite that, third-quarter notebook shipments are projected to increase by another 3-5 percent versus the previous quarter.

Apple updated its 13-inch and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro notebooks in June, introducing faster processors and improved GPUs just eight months after the machines were last refreshed. It also introduced a new low-price 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar with a 128GB SSD. No other changes were made to the MacBook Pro.

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is working on a high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro model that will include 32GB RAM, with production on this machine to begin early in the fourth quarter of 2017. Kuo claimed the MacBook Pro will be "the most significantly redesigned product this year" with desktop-class RAM to appeal to high-end users.

Article Link: Apple's Q2 2017 MacBook Sales Increase 17 Percent Over the Previous Quarter
I am soooooo excited about the incoming MacBook Pro 15 with 32 GB ram. It has been my dream to have MacBook Pro 15" with 32 GB ram. Finally, my dream is going to come true. Kudos to Apple and thanks so much to Apple for listening the loyal customers. Love Apple!! Apple is the best company with the best and most secured products in the world.

Shawn Rutherford

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
I'd be curious to see actual dollar amounts. Sure you can sell a ton of cheap laptops... and make X amount of dollars but if you make a quality product that people will pay a premium for, your profits are value-enhanced and you can sell fewer laptops at a higher price and come out ahead.

Reactions: zzLZHzz

argentum47

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
Compared to the previous quarter or the same quarter last year?
It doesn't make much sense to compare to the previous quarter as the sales are very seasonal.

Reactions: LogicalVue

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Maybe you should look into what you can do with the touch bar before calling it "a silly emoji bar".
As someone who owns a 2016 15" rMBP with the TouchBar, the answer to that is still "not much". After the better part of a year, most developers still do have no good ideas how to put that thing to proper use. Even for emojis, you probably are better off to use the old symbol palette.

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
This is meaningless without year on year comparison.

But for what it is worth it shows that Dell improved sales 21.3% compared to Apples 17.1%.

So kudos to Dell then. Must be their more reasonable prices I can only guess...

Reactions: LogicalVue

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
As if Apple is the only manufacturer updating their line.

Now, for the real question...

Where is the champion Microsoft on the table?

Is this the Microsoft’s heat from the Surface? Are people asking for touchscreens or not? Is a $6 dollar USB-C to USB-A adapter (set of 2 obvs.) from Amazon a problem for people buying $2000 computers?

Don’t tell me Microsoft is having problems making people part with the cash, because Apple, the expensive one, clearly isn’t!

Where is the champion Microsoft on the table? On 90+% of the marketshare (the + accounting for Macs running Windows). But I'm sure you're refering to Surface products, no? That, I don't know.

Is this the Microsoft’s heat from the Surface? Clearly not. The Surface is but one in a sea of choices on the non-Mac end.

Are people asking for touchscreens or not? Although it is not specifically indicated by the report, I'm going to go with "yes", given the whopping 90% marketshare (again).

Is a $6 dollar USB-C to USB-A adapter (set of 2 obvs.) from Amazon a problem for people buying $2000 computers? I wouldn't think so, but the focus of this report is not that, I'd say. Spending $2,000 for a computer seems a problem for roughly everyone but 10% of the market though.

Don’t tell me Microsoft is having problems making people part with the cash, because Apple, the expensive one, clearly isn’t! Apple hardware is arguably some of the best in the business. I also consider its OS to BE the best (unless you're a gamer). But the deal here is that Apple is banking on that 10% marketshare, because fewer people are willing to pay a lot for hardware that doesn't cost that much (hence great profit margins). Apple KNOWS its target customer base: the high-end. Microsoft is targeting outside this and competing at a different level. And frankly, I don't find their products to be as good as Apple's, especially when coming from Apple.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
As someone who owns a 2016 15" rMBP with the TouchBar, the answer to that is still "not much". After the better part of a year, most developers still do have no good ideas how to put that thing to proper use. Even for emojis, you probably are better off to use the old symbol palette.

Might want to try BetterTouchTool, you can set the touch bar exactly as you want it, for every app, even things that run in Windows in Parallels e.g. It's a real time saver for me, to have all those short cuts on the touch bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.