Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's second-generation Pixel smartphone will be made by HTC and feature "squeezable" sides to perform different functions, according to a filing with the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday.

The filing essentially confirms that the Google Pixel 2 will borrow the squeezable frame from the HTC U11. Screenshots included in the document show the feature is to be called "Active Edge" and will launch Google Assistant by default. Other possible functions include turning on the flashlight, launching the camera, and taking a photo.

DGiDBFLUAAAJcVB.jpg
Leaked image of Pixel 2 from Evan Blass

The 4.97-inch device is expected to feature a 1080p display and stereo speakers, and will have an overall design similar to the original Pixel. The filing also suggests that the Pixel 2 will have a Snapdragon 835 or 836 chipset and 64GB storage capacity - although additional capacities are likely.

LG is said to be manufacturing the Google Pixel XL 2 and will put its own stamp on the larger handset by including a 6-inch AMOLED display with a 2:1 aspect ratio, but it's also likely that the XL 2 will share the same squeezable frame of the smaller device. Based on leaked images, both handsets are rumored to do away with the headphone jack, although this was not confirmed in the filing.

It's still not clear when Google's second-generation Pixel smartphones will be released, but the original version was unveiled in October of last year, so a fall release is likely. (The original Google Pixel FCC filing appeared exactly a year ago on Tuesday.) That would put Google's new phones in direct competition with the iPhone 8, which is expected to launch in September alongside iterative "S" cycle updates to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Article Link: Google Pixel 2 Smartphone Will Feature Squeezable Sides and No Headphone Jack

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've heard that 3dtouch is gimmicky, what about this?

If you have not experienced 3D Touch, you should try it. I use it all the time, and it's convenient for shortcutting applications to access what you want quicker. It also allows you to briefly view a photo, text or E-mail without opening the entire document. Its my favorite feature when it first launched on the iPhone 6s.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
It was my favorite..........Until they removed 3D app switcher from iOS 11 :( which was my favorite feature in iOS 10.
That gesture never worked 80% of the time, anyway. I've found it more useful for jumping right into a specific Messages conversation and previewing web pages without having to browse, then browse back.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
That gesture never worked 80% of the time, anyway. I've found it more useful for jumping right into a specific Messages conversation and previewing web pages without having to browse, then browse back.

It was my primary way of switching apps since the 6s launched and on my 7 Plus, for me it worked 100% of the time so I'm really disappointed it was removed.

If they want it off by default fine, but they could at least add a toggle to turn it on again.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
The 180 degrees turn that The Verge is going to take on the headphone jack issue will be entertaining to watch.
[doublepost=1502879778][/doublepost]
Still don't think it's acceptable regardless of who is doing it, tbh.

The point is getting weaker by the day. Once you go wireless you just won't come back, ever again.

Also, Pixel v1 had the worst DAC the world has ever witnessed, so better to ditch it altogether.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Just seems like terrible ergonomics on a device that you touch the front 99% of the time. So I'm basically going to be getting a good thumb workout, switching from the front screen to the side, to squeeze it for... whatever reasons they thought were clever?

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
If you have not experienced 3D Touch, you should try it. I use it all the time, and it's convenient for shortcutting applications to access what you want quicker. It also allows you to briefly view a photo, text or E-mail without opening the entire document. Its my favorite feature when it first launched on the iPhone 6s.
Speaking about 3D Touch and Emails, I use it all the time to convert emails to PDF then share it to DevonThink (or any other app in the share sheet).

Reactions: dr34mc4st3r

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
It was my primary way of switching apps since the 6s launched and on my 7 Plus, for me it worked 100% of the time so I'm really disappointed it was removed.

If they want it off by default fine, but they could at least add a toggle to turn it on again.
I could never get it to activate consistently, but to each their own. I do agree that if anything, they should have just switched it off by the fault and put a toggle in Settings. There's no good reason to just remove features for removing features sake.

I do feel your pain. I was very disappointed when they removed sort by app from notifications in iOS 10. Instead of being able to mass clear an app's notifications, you either have to clear the whole day or clear one at a time. I still miss it.

Reactions: jhfenton

actionmarker

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Seems like Touch id will be on the back of the Phone again, Atleast Google should focus on trying to put the finger print sensor under the display instead of adding gimmicks like squeezable Sides.
Considering practically very feature/function on any smartphone is a gimmick, why not this one too.
If they could make it a different function depending on where the squeeze occurs it might be a useful gimmick. If they placed a row of buttons down each side which would essentially do the same thing, everyone would just laugh at them.

Reactions: 44267547 and samden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.