Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram is currently testing a new feature that allows users to share new Instagram Stories directly to their Facebook account. The feature, first reported by Mashable, appears to be Facebook's latest attempt to increase the visibility of Stories in its main app, essentially by getting users of its more visual-oriented Instagram network to double-post stories as Facebook Stories.

instagram-to-facebook-stories-800x519.jpg

🚨 ALERT 🚨Instagram is testing option to share your 'Story' directly to Facebookh/t @mruiandre pic.twitter.com/VTqI92dNJe - Matt Navarra ? (@MattNavarra) September 6, 2017

As part of the test, which is likely only a partial rollout for now, Instagram users see a new option to share their newly captured photos and videos as a Facebook Story as well as an Instagram Story, according to screenshots posted to Twitter.

The experiment appears to suggest that Facebook Stories, which the company launched in April, have failed to be a hit with the social media network's users. Like Snapchat and Instagram Stories before them, Facebook Stories let users post a picture or video onto their feed, which disappears 24 hours later.

Facing poor adoption of a feature that appears at the top of the news feed, Facebook initially tweaked the UI to look less bereft by showing ghost-like, grayed-out profile pictures of friends, regardless of whether they've ever posted a Facebook Story. But it looks like that hasn't had much effect either.

By contrast, Instagram Stories enjoy high engagement and are reportedly used by 250 million people daily. In fact, Instagram's success has allowed it to remain largely free of encroachment from its parent company until now, so Facebook's attempt to siphon off some of that success to its core app implies this could be a last-ditch attempt to save Facebook Stories before the feature's removed for good.

Article Link: Facebook Turns to Instagram to Drive Engagement of Facebook Stories

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
The experiment appears to suggest that Facebook Stories have failed to be a hit with users.

The phrase "No shit Sherlock!" comes to mind...

... this could be a last-ditch attempt to save Facebook Stories before the feature's removed for good.

One can only hope.
It's clearly visible (and in the way), but no-one uses it and no-one WANTS to use it.
Give it up now, Facebook, seriously.

Reactions: jef82

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
There seem to be an unavoidable cycle to "internet" services. Something sleek "service"/"webpage" emerges. People flock to it. They keep adding features none asked for. They neuter / hide / bloat their main service to drive people to the features none asked for. To the point only a third of the displayed content is what you visit for. Something new sleek appears and they die bloated and alone.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I couldn't care less. All I want is a chronological feed back in Instagram.

Maybe evict that deadbeat tenant Android out as well, but that will never happen.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
They're trying everything to entice people to use "Stories". Maybe I'm just getting too old for some things, but I don't understand why I would want to use Stories. My "story" is my timeline. Spend 30 second perusing my timeline and you know pretty much all you need to know about what I've done recently. I'm not sure why I need to waste even more time on Facebook making a "story" for people.

Pineapple24

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2017
Los Angeles
Snapchat-like "Stories" and Facebook are two completely different things. It works on Instagram, but won't on Facebook just by its nature.

I use Stories on Instagram (and Snapchat of course), but I look forward when the feature is removed from Facebook.

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
There seem to be an unavoidable cycle to "internet" services. Something sleek "service"/"webpage" emerges. People flock to it. They keep adding features none asked for. They neuter / hide / bloat their main service to drive people to the features none asked for. To the point only a third of the displayed content is what you visit for. Something new sleek appears and they die bloated and alone.

That's because the "sleek" services are started by "disrupters" who then decide they like money. So they cow tow to big corporations for funding, eventually lose their way, cash out, wash rinse and repeat.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Are kids these days even signing up to Facebook anymore? Of course i can only speak for myself but i dont remember the last time someone posted a „status update“ or even images. All i see is memes people like. However it might as well just be their stupid algorithm hiding everything of actual „value“ from me

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Are kids these days even signing up to Facebook anymore? Of course i can only speak for myself but i dont remember the last time someone posted a „status update“ or even images. All i see is memes people like. However it might as well just be their stupid algorithm hiding everything of actual „value“ from me
Same with me. All i see is different videos that people like. Status updates? now there's a thing i havent seen in a long time

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

Not to mention the removal of the only features you care for -- Messages in the Facebook app, Messages in the mobile web version.

Oh well... it makes it easy to just delete all of it.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009

i think that's it. although Instagram is getting annoying with it doing that also though they're not as bad as FB. i'm seeing updated or news stories from 3-4 days ago and it's annoying. that's my biggest beef with FB at the moment. i have quite a few friends i follow on IG and the same on FB. NONE of them do FB stories like they do on the daily with IG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.