Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facial recognition has been rumored to be replacing Touch ID entirely on the OLED iPhone X, and today developer Guilherme Rambo shared a few glimpses into the setup process of the all-new "Face ID" feature.

Rambo tweeted the settings and preference screen for Face ID, where you can choose to use Face ID for iPhone Unlock, iTunes and App Store, and Safari Autofill. Apple Pay is missing from the page, but Rambo noted that it's most likely because he's using a Brazilian Apple ID and Apple Pay isn't available in Brazil.

face-id-set-up-ios-11.jpg

Face ID enrollment process (with layout issues on first page) pic.twitter.com/KczOHEy9ir - Guilherme Rambo (@_inside) September 9, 2017
Once you tap "Enroll Face," iOS will ask you to gently move your head around in various directions and as you do a piece of the user interface will respond by filling in a circle surrounding your face. Once the scan is complete, your face will be enrolled in Apple's new biometric security software and will be able to unlock the iPhone X, authenticate the purchase of apps, and more.

In another video, Rambo recorded a separate piece of UI related to Face ID that he described as "authenticating with Face ID." This is expected to be another step in Face ID's setup process, but Rambo pointed out that he's "not sure" there will be a camera preview in the final version of the software. He did say that the smiley face glyph and rotating sphere animation will be parts of Face ID to some extent.

Authenticating with FaceID looks like this (timing not correct because it's just the UI, not actual auth) pic.twitter.com/kvNUARDQBJ - Guilherme Rambo (@_inside) September 9, 2017
In a series of leaks related to the HomePod firmware that happened earlier in August, a few strings of code suggested that the iPhone X will be able to scan your face even when the device is lying flat on a table. Apple is preparing Face ID to be "quicker, more secure, and more accurate than Touch ID," according to Mark Gurman, and the biometric security feature is expected to be one of the flagship features focused on during the September 12 event keynote.

Article Link: Details Emerge Regarding 'Face ID' Setup Process on iPhone X

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
This screen shot indicates that time will show on left side of the notch and battery icon signal bar's and wifi will show on right side.
D6665DB3-D42F-423B-AC47-E9D8F07A4CB0.png

----------------------------------------------------
Once you tap "Enroll Face," iOS will ask you to gently move your head around in various directions and as you do a piece of the user interface will respond by filling in a circle surrounding your face.
you have to gently move your head around in various directions Just like this :-:D
9C67EF73-772C-4A13-A5CD-C6D67B9BE487.gif

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
How do I stop the police getting me to unlock my phone, currently if I use the wrong finger enough times it needs a passcode which I have forgotten, I can't change my face while the police have me in restraint

You can always opt to not set up Face ID and use a passcode instead while continuing to enjoy all the other features of iPhone X. Just because the feature is there it doesn’t mean you have to make use of it if you’re concerned over this type of issue.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
You can always opt to not set up Face ID and use a passcode instead while continuing to enjoy all the other features of iPhone X. Just because the feature is there it doesn’t mean you have to make use of it if you’re concerned over this type of issue.

This is how we get reduced security. People will go back to no passcode instead. FaceID is solving a nonexistant problem.

People are going to be unlocking this thing with pictures within 24 hours.

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
Once you tap "Enroll Face,"

I must be blind because in the screenshots I did not see anything that seemed tappable called "Enroll face", only "Get started" and I watched the video and there was also nothing called "Enroll face".

Oh well, I'll just do as Mr. Bean to ensure that my face gets registered properly (might swirl my hands around in front of my potential purchase, iPhone X, just in case)

1419440698tumblr_nehmgfcg4f1qdlh1io1_400.gif

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Love the Touch ID NOT the FACE. People can open It while sleeping... well I guess you can still steam my finger while sleeping though. Fxxx still don't like it

People can open your phone with Touch ID while you're sleeping.

I'm guessing that Face ID will be much more sophisticated than that. It will likely be sensitive enough to know when it's being turned at a verified face and then away, back at the person who's using it which will red flag it as being used by someone other than the authorized user. This way, someone can't just point it at the owner to unlock and run off with the phone.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
If using Face ID for payment, how do you prevent accidental payment? With touch ID, as long as your thumb isn't on the home button, the payment won't go through.

That's an easy fix. Press your thumb to an onscreen button to pay with ApplePay. At that point, it'll Face ID you and will remain verified as long as your thumb is on that button. When you let go, it'll be deauthorized until you press it again and it can check to see if you're the one using it.

Another way would be to have an Apple Pay button that you press when the phone is in front of you and becomes authorized and once you let go, gradually goes back to a requiring authorization state which gives the user the idea that it's a limited time thing. So that way, if you're going through a drive through and need to stick your phone out the window, you can authorize it, then tap the phone to the terminal without you in its view.

This is a UI problem, not a technology problem.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is how we get reduced security. People will go back to no passcode instead. FaceID is solving a nonexistant problem.

People are going to be unlocking this thing with pictures within 24 hours.
That depends on what you want to be secured from. If it's the law you're worried about then the passcode is the most secure option by far. If it's someone getting into your phone while you're asleep/passed out/whatever, it's still the passcode that's most secure. If it's... if it's anything your passcode is going to be the most secure option.

Don't confuse security with convenience. Touch ID is more convenient, not necessarily more secure.
I doubt people are going to be unlocking this implementation with pictures since it incorporates a 3 dimensional element that can't be gamed by photos. Samsung's implementation did not incorporate 3D afaik.

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
Are you serious?

There it was, didn't look over at the overly white thingy; strange that you'll have to open settings, this should be in the update process if you upgrade from ios 10, and in the set-up if you buy it new. It probably is, but strange that Macrumors makes it seem like you must open up settings to set up face-id

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.