Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today quietly introduced new urBeats3 Earphones that come equipped with a Lightning connector, allowing them to work with Apple devices that don't have a headphone jack - the new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, plus the existing iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Apple is also offering a model that has a traditional 3.5mm plug that works with iPads and other Apple devices that continue to offer a headphone jack.

urbeats3-800x416.jpg

Apple says the urBeats3 wired earphones feature a "fine-tuned acoustic design" for an "exceptional listening experience." They ship with a variety of eartip options for a customized fit, and include secure-fit wingtips for a comfortable, secure fit when working out.

The urBeats3 earphones with a Lightning connector are available in Silver, Gold, and Black to match the new Gold, Silver, and Space Gray iPhone models. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus come in Gold, Silver, and Space Gray, while the iPhone X comes in Silver and Space Gray.

The urBeats3 earphones with 3.5mm jack are available in Gray, White, Blue, and Black. Both models are priced at $99.95, and will be available for purchase this fall.

beatsxnewcolors-800x385.jpg

In addition to new urBeats3 earphones, Apple has also introduced new colors for its wireless W1-equipped BeatsX headphones. The BeatsX headphones are available in Silver and Matte Gold to match the iPhone 8 colors.

BeatsX are priced at $149.95 and will ship out in three to five business days for orders placed today.

Article Link: Apple Launches New urBeats3 Earphones, New Colors for BeatsX

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Yay! Great, I want a 3,5 mm plug compatible in-ear headphone with great bass response! This and the new elastic watch band covers my needs right now!

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I'm actually in the market for new in-ears, because Klipsch decided to offer terrible earphone support in Europe.

I'll wait for reviews and possibly get the 3.5mm version.

If they really thought Lightning was a way forward they would at least have to offer Lightning ports on all of their computers as well, otherwise their earphones look like a bad joke...

Apple branded earphones that don't work on their latest computers... Wow...

Either way, switch to USB-C, kiss the forced licensing money goodbye and call it a day. There, new actual audio standard that doesn't complicate things for everyone.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Oh great, more useless accessories that can't be used with most devices. Apple needs to fully embrace USB-C.
Meh. The Lightning connector is the one advantage beatsx have over solo, studio and powerbeats.

The beatsx are still useless, but that's due to the awful rumbling contact noise they conduct directly to your eardrums every time you take a step, move your head, or just breathe. I guess it's a feature for people who are into unpleasant noises like nails on a blackboard or sawing through bone, but for everyone else it's a bug, as it drowns your music in "KSCHHFPFKKKFTSFKSCHHHFFSHHKTKTIFSHSHPPPP!!!"

Kind of an engineering feat, really, to somehow manage to take one of the worst aspects of wired earbuds and copy it to wireless ones. "Dang, there's no contact noise anymore, what do we do?" "No problem, just make the cable wide and flat with a matte surface. It's gonna make one hell of a racket, like running your fingers up and down a stethoscope tube." "Sweet!"

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
If they really thought Lightning was a way forward they would at least have to offer Lightning ports on all of their computers as well, otherwise their earphones look like a bad joke...

Apple branded earphones that don't work on their latest computers... Wow...

Either way, switch to USB-C, kiss the forced licensing money goodby and call it a day. There, new actual audio standard that doesn't complicate things for everyone.

Glassed Silver:mac

100% agree. Apple has now doubled down on Lightning as a headphone port, by introducing their own. The EarPods never really counted, because that was the default cheap set included with every phone. But now they've released a mid-priced pair of headphones.

Now is when I expect we'll have to see a Lightning adapter for the Mac, either 3.5mm, or more likely USB-C. I've been waiting since Apple launched the iPhone 7 for someone to do it, and it surprisingly hasn't happened. Now has to be the time ... by the time these get released, who want's to bet Apple, or Belkin will have a Lightning adapter for the Mac, and/or 3.5mm devices, on the market?

Flytrap21

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Oh great, more useless accessories that can't be used with most devices. Apple needs to fully embrace USB-C.
Who says that Beats bluetooth headphones are not compatible with non-Apple devices?

As far as I am aware, W1 accessories work equally well with all bluetooth devices... they also happen to work better with other W1 aware devices (i.e. Apple's bluetooth devices). I use my airPods with all my bluetooth devices.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
The beatsx are still useless, but that's due to the awful rumbling contact noise they conduct directly to your eardrums every time you take a step, move your head, or just breathe. I guess it's a feature for people who are into unpleasant noises like nails on a blackboard or sawing through bone, but for everyone else it's a bug, as it drowns your music in "KSCHHFPFKKKFTSFKSCHHHFFSHHKTKTIFSHSHPPPP!!!"

:D Wow, thanks for you review!
Is it really t h a t bad? *checks for more reviews*

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Who says that Beats bluetooth headphones are not compatible with non-Apple devices?

As far as I am aware, W1 accessories work equally well with all bluetooth devices... they also happen to work better with other W1 aware devices (i.e. Apple's bluetooth devices). I use my airPods with all my bluetooth devices.
Not the BeatsX, was only referring to the urBeats3 Earphones with Lightning Connector. These and the EarPods with Lightning Connector have to be two of the most stupid accessories ever invented.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
:D Wow, thanks for you review!
Is it really t h a t bad? *checks for more reviews*
;) It depends. My first impression was greatly influenced by the fact that I got them in the middle of the Nordic winter, so when outdoors I always wore a winter jacket with the beatsX inside the collar, and the earbud cable would constantly rub against it. Hearing a scraping noise every time you turn your head kinda feels like being C3PO in need of an oil bath. But this is of course a non-issue in the summer or indoors, when the earbud cables are just hanging free and frictionless.

I also think a lot of people don't even notice the noise I'm talking about. As with all manner of noise, tolerance is individual. Some won't even flinch when a manic toddler is screaming into their ear full blast From five inches away. Others go ballistic if they hear someone chewing with their mouth open in the next room. I'm somewhere inbetween, but generally the only in-ears I can stand are PowerBeats because hold the buds firmly in place. If you yank the cable the energy is absorbed by the piece that wraps around the ear. With wired in-ears or BeatsX, no such luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.