Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 11 brings new functionality to Siri, including a translation feature that allows Siri to translate words and phrases spoken in English to a handful of other languages. Translation is super simple to use, and while the translations aren't always perfect, they get the gist of what you're attempting to say across to someone who speaks another language.

Using Siri Translate

1. Activate Siri, either by holding down the Home button or using a "Hey Siri" command.
  2. Tell Siri the phrase you want to translate and the language you want it in. For example: "Siri, how do I say where's the bathroom in Spanish?"
    siritranslationios11-800x708.jpg
  3. Siri will respond with the appropriate translation, both in text form and vocally. The vocal component can be replayed by pressing the play button located at the bottom of the translation.
  4. There are multiple ways to phrase your translation requests. Siri will respond to "Translate X to X language" or "How do I say X in X language?"
Available Languages

Siri can translate English to Mandarin, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. There's no two-way translation available yet - it's only English to the above listed languages. Apple has said it plans to add additional languages to the Siri translation feature following the release of iOS 11.

Apple appears to be using an in-house translation engine for Siri, as the translations do not match up with translations provided by popular services like Google Translate or Bing Translate. Also of note, while Siri can translate from English to several other languages, the translation features do not work with British, Canadian, or Australian English settings.

Because Siri speaks translations aloud, the translation feature can come in handy when traveling and trying to get simple communications across. It's a simple addition, but one that may go a long way towards making Siri more useful.

Article Link: How to Use Siri's New Translation Feature in iOS 11

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
That's completely bonkers. Guess we'll have to wait until Apple understand English better...
[doublepost=1505947032][/doublepost]
An example?

It says "Sorry, I can't translate from British English yet"

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
That's completely bonkers. Guess we'll have to wait until Apple understand English better...
[doublepost=1505947032][/doublepost]

It says "Sorry, I can't translate from British English yet"
What’s the difference? The accent ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So you can have what you want to say translated but will have no idea what the response is since there’s no two way translation. Yeah, that’s brilliant. :rolleyes:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Translation mappings must be hard-wired to specific dialect dictionaries. One thinks they could just duplicate the American English dictionary to Canadian, British and Australian, and then refine each one accordingly. To launch without support for those is a bit silly, since the words are largely the same.

Reactions: Stella

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Just change Siri’s language to American English. You can use the feature in Canada. I have my phone language set to Canadian English and Siri to American.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So you can have what you want to say translated but will have no idea what the response is since there’s no two way translation. Yeah, that’s brilliant. :rolleyes:

Like always, there’s an app for that.

But i actually used Siri yesterday oddly shortly after I downloaded iOS 11. Was asked In Spanish when a specific stop was on train (heard the name and hand gestures gave me the gist of it) so asked Siri to translate my answer and viola.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
No thanks. I'll continue to use Google Translate.

Similar to Maps, they'll continue to be far behind the features.

Should've struck a deal with Google to implement Google Translate into iOS, as I've never come across a language I couldn't translate - and I've been to a lot of places.

Reactions: Mike5 and Stella

kkamann

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
493FF40E-2C4E-435E-AD94-BA2781969904.jpeg
Asking Siri to translate something that includes itself (the word “Siri”) only the words before “Siri” and truncates the rest. :-/

Rockin Robin

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
London, UK
Indeed. There is only one English. It is British English as spoken in England. I know this as I checked with the Queen.
[doublepost=1505979162][/doublepost]I used the type to Siri feature but it still accused me of using British English but then it occurred to me ... it would quickly be confused by MacRumour!

badbrain

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
No thanks. I'll continue to use Google Translate.

Similar to Maps, they'll continue to be far behind the features.

Should've struck a deal with Google to implement Google Translate into iOS, as I've never come across a language I couldn't translate - and I've been to a lot of places.
Truthfully? Then you will continue to have people laugh/smile at your language/translation skills.

G. Translate is OK for basic phrases, anything else and you risk looking like a moron who just might be a doughnut. Use something like Reverso, miles better. Or you could actually, maybe learn a language. I was very pleasantly surprised by Siri’s translations, it even used local/slang terms. For once, Apple has trumped Google with software. Let’s not talk about Maps.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Does not translate from British English... what a joke!
This highlights extremely well how the iPhone shouldn't even cost the SAME (let alone more) in Europe.

You do not even get the same experience and apparently according to Apple you don't pay for the hardware, but for the experience... sooo... ugh...

Also, no two-way, really? How long has it been since Siri got introduced and this cannot possibly be one of the features that was low on their to-do list.

This feature has the "roll 60 seconds of how we connect people like nobody before" Keynote video potential.

Glassed Silver:win

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.