Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's Advanced Technology and Projects group today unveiled its first consumer product, called the "Levi's Commuter Trucker Jacket" and going on sale this Wednesday, September 27, for $350 (via TechCrunch). The jacket is powered by Jacquard, a connected apparel platform that ATAP developed for fashion designers and apparel manufacturers to integrate technology directly into clothing lines.

google-jacket.jpg

The technology in the jacket is housed in the cuff of its sleeve, with gesture sensing Jacquard Threads woven into this area of the jacket that wirelessly connect to your iPhone 6 or later (running iOS 10 or later) "using tiny electronics embedded inside the sleeve and a flexible snap tag." The snap tag includes lights and haptic feedback so you can be notified of texts and phone calls, and gestures on the cuff can be customized to your own preferences using the Jacquard app on iOS and Android.
The first thing to know about the Levi's® Commuter(TM) Trucker Jacket with Jacquard is just that: it's a jacket. Like any regular denim jacket, you can wash it (just remove the snap tag), it's durable, designed to be comfortable for cycling and it'll keep you warm on and off the bike. With Jacquard technology, you can perform common digital tasks--like starting or stopping music, getting directions or reading incoming text messages--by simply swiping or tapping the jacket sleeve.
Designed for cyclists and other people on-the-go, the jacket's gesture controls include music playback, GPS directions, ETA, current time, text-to-speech for messages, and more. Google said that the jacket is durable and can be washed as long as the snap tag is removed.

The Levi's Commuter Trucker Jacket will be available in "select shops" this Wednesday, and then online at Levi's website on October 2. While the jacket connects to both iOS and Android, Google said that "features vary" between the two operating systems, but didn't specify what features that may be in reference to. The jacket will be compatible with Apple Music as well as Spotify, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, and more.

Article Link: Google and Levi's 'Commuter Trucker Jacket' Lets You Control Your iPhone's Calls, Texts, and Music

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
So, would I have to install outlets in my closet so I could charge my jacket?

I’m gonna go with NO on this one.

Greenlee

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
That's good. Be even more distracted while you're around people, and might cause accidents.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Its stupid stuff like this this that makes me proud to love apple cos at least apple makes airpods apple watch stuff that is really useful not this rubbish lol

waveman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Never seen anything more useless than this. I can't imagine wearing this stuff around people, on a bus, or in any crowded place, as this sensors would be triggered all the time by everyone who will pass me close enough.

Another useless piece of crap created for money, and to keep you connected all the time, to keep you enslaved. People need more connection with nature, and with themselves.

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
I need to get this to go along with my bluetooth connected water bottle that tells me when I need to drink again, then my life will be complete.

Reactions: KazKam

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
This was done 12 years ago by Burton:

BdGkEygIEAE_e1K.jpg

Plug iPod in, control it on your sleeve to headphones your'e wearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.