Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IPSW-250x250.png
Following the release of iOS 11.0.1 and iOS 11.0.2 on September 26 and October 3, respectively, Apple has stopped signing both iOS 10.3.3 and iOS 11.0, the previous versions of iOS that were available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 11.0.1, iOS 11.0.2, or iOS 11 will no longer be able to downgrade to the iOS 10.3.3 operating system.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 11.0.1 and iOS 11.0.2 are now the only versions of iOS 11 that can be installed on iOS devices by the general public, but developers can download iOS 11.1, a future update that is being beta tested and will be released in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 10.3.3 and iOS 11.0, Downgrading No Longer Possible

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
Why do I feel like Apple cut support from "last year's OS" much sooner this year?

I remember iOS 9.3.5 being unsigned in mid-October last year... or was it also unsigned just two weeks after iOS 10 came out?

Better pray my 5s can last until I get a new phone. Tested 11 and 11.0.1 and they both were pretty bad.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Why do I feel like Apple cut support from "last year's OS" much sooner this year?

I remember iOS 9.3.5 being unsigned in mid-October last year... or was it also unsigned just two weeks after iOS 10 came out?

iOS 9.3.5 and 10.0.1 were signed until 19 Oct 2016.

List of when all firmwares started and stopped being signed by device: http://api.ineal.me/tss/status
(yeah, i'm aware it looks like a dodgy link)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Better pray my 5s can last until I get a new phone. Tested 11 and 11.0.1 and they both were pretty bad.
I think in the previous years it wasn't as long though, although I can't quite recall for sure at the moment.
[doublepost=1507157974][/doublepost]
What does this mean for devices that can't upgrade to iOS 11, can they not upgrade to 10.3.3?
Yes, for those devices the latest compatible version (for example, iOS 10.3.3) would still be signed.

Reactions: autrefois

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, for those devices the latest compatible version (for example, iOS 10.3.3) would still be signed.

Are you sure? I'm having massive trouble getting my iPhone 5 - now relegated to Wifi only duty after I bought my 6s - to sign into iMessage. I tried to do a DFU restore just an hour ago and hopefully fix the trouble, and "The update is not available for this device".

I usually keep my iPhones but this one just might see the business end of a hammer after I get the X and my 6s becomes my alarm clock. Nothing but trouble from about iOS 9 onwards.

Reactions: Oldfash33

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
We all are licensing software from Apple. So they can stop signing without warning. They have no reason to continue signing. The public reaction to potential “security” breaches is horrific, and the public doesn’t care if it was on outdated software whose vulnerabilities have been plugged up.

If you want absolute control of your insecure OS, use android.

Reactions: Vlad.E. and Agit21

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you sure? I'm having massive trouble getting my iPhone 5 - now relegated to Wifi only duty after I bought my 6s - to sign into iMessage. I tried to do a DFU restore just an hour ago and hopefully fix the trouble, and "The update is not available for this device".

I usually keep my iPhones but this one just might see the business end of a hammer after I get the X and my 6s becomes my alarm clock. Nothing but trouble from about iOS 9 onwards.
Well, that's how it works with iPhone 4s and older phones, for example, so I don't really see why it would be any different in this case.

You should try recovery mode to see if that works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.