Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BNZ, aka Bank of New Zealand, plans to begin offering Apple Pay in the near future, reports New Zealand site Stuff. When Apple Pay support is implemented, BNZ customers will be able to use the Apple Pay service with their BNZ Advantage Visa credit cards and BNZ Flexi Debit Visa cards.

applepaybnz-800x344.jpg

BNZ director of products and technology David Bullock said BNZ is planning to offer support for Apple Pay following feedback from customers. "More and more retailers are accepting it," he told Stuff. "There's a fairly high acceptance rate in New Zealand.

Apple Pay launched in New Zealand in October of 2016 in partnership with ANZ, and at the current time, Apple Pay is only available to ANZ customers.

BNZ does not have a set date for the release of Apple Pay, but expects the feature to become available later in the month of October.

Article Link: Apple Pay in New Zealand to Expand to BNZ Soon

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
It's dire here. Only ANZ so far, who I business bank with.
Got my ANZ biz debit card on iPhone and Apple Watch but can't shop for myself with the biz account.
Plenty of checkouts here in NZ with the hardware to take a wireless payment.
Common Kiwibank! Move yer ass!

Reactions: mackiwilad

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Interesting that BNZ is getting Apple Pay while NAB - the Australia bank that BNZ is a subsidiary of - still does not. Of the big four Australian banks only one, ANZ, had managed to come to an agreement with Apple about charges, to implement Apple Pay.

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
Interesting that BNZ is getting Apple Pay while NAB - the Australia bank that BNZ is a subsidiary of - still does not. Of the big four Australian banks only one, ANZ, had managed to come to an agreement with Apple about charges, to implement Apple Pay.
Yeah, very disappointing. ME Bank, Suncorp, all the majors minus ANZ. Not sure how they can say their focus is really the customer.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
ANZ and BNZ for Apple pay.
Wonder how long should CommBank customers wait for Apple Pay.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.

Definitely, I wonder if that could be taken as a sign that NAB will be the next big bank on board, but I highly doubt it.

Wouldn’t it be great that’s ApplePay within iMessage launches globally wherever ApplePay exists and works with currency exchanges for travellers? Would love to travel to New Zealand.

Unfortunately, the Apple Pay Cash Card requires a partnership in each individual country due to the nature of how the system works.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.