Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today announced that its popular HiRise Duet combination dock for iPhone and Apple Watch is available to purchase again.

hirise-duet-800x453.jpg

HiRise Duet was originally introduced in November 2016, but the dock sold out within just a few weeks and it remained out of stock until today. Twelve South appears to have finally received more units from its manufacturer.

The dock has an integrated Lightning connector and magnetic puck to charge both an iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time. The stand holds the Apple Watch on its side so that it can be used in Nightstand mode on a bedside table.

Both the Lightning connector and support post are adjustable to work with most popular iPhone cases on the market today.

The dock, designed with dark gray metal and accented with soft, black napa leather, has a 3.75-inch square footprint. One AC power cable extends from the base of the stand, providing 15 watts of total power.

HiRise Duet is $119.99 on Twelve South's website with free shipping in the United States. It's designed for iPhone 5s or later and any Apple Watch.

Article Link: Twelve South's HiRise Duet Dock is Available Again After Selling Out Last Year

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This outfit makes nice looking stuff but overpriced IMHO. They could do better by lowering the price and working off of volume IMO. Nice...but not THAT nice.

Reactions: max2

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This looks like a nice one in all charger for phone and watch. I like how the watch charges sideways. My only concern is does the stand block the speakers on the iPhone?

Reactions: max2

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
This outfit makes nice looking stuff but overpriced IMHO. They could do better by lowering the price and working off of volume IMO. Nice...but not THAT nice.

They definitely make nice products(I’ve bought a few and they are great) but I have to admit that price has kept me from pulling the trigger on anything new 20+ times now.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
I bought a couple of the original HiRises on Ebay, brand new for $7 a piece. Can't justify $120 for this stand.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
The concept is solid, the price is too high. This is actually very similar to an idea I had for a watch/iPhone combo stand over a year ago, except mine was made of leaning, stacked, concentric circular wood "dowels" (base, watch/phone base, phone support) that had routed out channels for the included chargers/cables. Mine even had a similar name... the "LeanTwo". Alas, mine never made it past the prototype phase. I never saw this 12 South stand the first time around.

At the time, I looked for any existing stands that did the same thing and found only one on Etsy. The guy was 3d-printing an almost identical concept. Except he was only charging ~$30. $120 is waaaay too much for this stand, as solid of a concept as it is... [edit] even with the integrated charging.

Last edited:

TwelveSouth

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Charleston, SC
We totally hear you ALL on the price and this was something we considered fully when making this device. The issue is the integrated Watch Disc and Lightning - if you were to remove these (or have to bring your own) the price would reduce drastically. Having a dock that has everything already built in is certainly more convenient and allows you to keep your single cords in your to-go bag or move them around as you need them.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
We totally hear you ALL on the price and this was something we considered fully when making this device. The issue is the integrated Watch Disc and Lightning - if you were to remove these (or have to bring your own) the price would reduce drastically. Having a dock that has everything already built in is certainly more convenient and allows you to keep your single cords in your to-go bag or move them around as you need them.

Still has to be 90% or higher profit margin. I have a bookbook for my iPad mini and the quality is great, but I only bought it on black Friday with a 50% discount. Otherwise most of your prices are ridiculous. I imagine you have a good customer base and it's working out for you anyway.

Reactions: Ca$hflow

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I understand your point and it's a valid one however, if you look at your competition, and one can have not quite the same quality but at half the price and still accomplish the same result, makes this price point a difficult choice.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The integrated Lightning connector seems like a potential problem down the road. What happens if the Lightning connector breaks or the Lightning cable inside the unit fails? Is the Lightning cable user-replacable or do you end up with a $120 Apple Watch charger if something happens to the Lightning cable/connector?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Yeah but the watch itself, new was $199. $120 just for the stand? The Spigen $7 (shipped) was easy to just pop in the charger. Integrated? No thanks.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
When will we see a UK release? Or maybe get Apple to sell it in their stores? It's expensive enough as it is without having to pay shipping + import taxes :-(

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Considering Apple wants $80 for their whoopee cushion-styled charger, the price sounds appropriate.

USB-Adapter

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015
Are there docks for two watches?
Or are all Apple Watch owners single and there is no demand for charging two watches simultaneously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.