Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared two new tutorial videos on its YouTube channel, walking users through the steps required to use the new Portrait Lighting feature on the iPhone 8 Plus.

The first video focuses on how to shoot using Portrait Lighting, while the second video covers how to add Portrait Lighting effects when editing a photo.

Like Apple's other tutorial videos, the two Portrait Lighting videos are short and to the point, walking users through a series of simple steps to access the features.

Portrait Lighting is a new feature that's available on the iPhone 8 Plus and the upcoming iPhone X.

Portrait Lighting is designed to let you add studio quality lighting effects to your images, with Apple using two cameras to create a depth map of an image along with machine learning techniques to decide how to adjust the lighting in a scene.

The feature works in real-time, but it can also be added to images after a photo has been taken.

Portrait Lighting effects include Natural Light, Studio Light (lights up your face), Contour Light (adds dramatic shadows), Stage Light (spotlights your face against a dark background), and Stage Light Mono (Stage Light, but in black and white).

Article Link: Apple Shares Two Tutorial Videos Covering Portrait Lighting on iPhone 8 Plus

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I don't like the protrait mode. You have to be at certain distance till it says okay.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Sure would be nice if they put the same camera in the iPhone 8. I just don't like the size of the Plus.

Guess I'll be waiting months for my X.

This is why I'm getting the X mostly. That and the OLED screen where the blacks are so dark it looks tangible. But this whole phablet size only to get the great camera... drives me nuts. I want to be able to type with one hand and not have to use some kind of modified keyboard that is scrunched or third party that slows down the phone when transition. We didn't come out of caves to live like animals using two hands to type like barbarians.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Why is this such a selling feature on a device? After the first wave of everyone posting the same exact looking picture on social media, no one will ever use this again.

Reactions: ImBuz

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
This is why I'm getting the X mostly. That and the OLED screen where the blacks are so dark it looks tangible. But this whole phablet size only to get the great camera... drives me nuts. I want to be able to type with one hand and not have to use some kind of modified keyboard that is scrunched or third party that slows down the phone when transition. We didn't come out of caves to live like animals using two hands to type like barbarians.

Good luck reaching top right for the Control Center

Reactions: brushlee

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Damn...guess photographers with their A7R2s and 1.4 85mm prime lens will be obsolete since Apple hit the scene with portrait mode.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Hate the fact that all modes except Regular Photo and Square have to zoom in like crazy thus becoming stupidly grainy

Like, why the hell zoom in FFS?????????????

This is the biggest problem. The wife has a new 8+ - but all of the portrait modes are basically unusable because a) they use the 2x zoom lens and b) this lens is not fast enough (f2.8 vs. the wide angle's f1.8). In anything but perfect outdoor lighting, the zoom lens has to jack up the ISO to get a good exposure ... and the resulting picture looks terrible. The iPhone X should possibly be better (f2.4 on the zoom lens).

"Why does this look like an impressionist painting?" - the wife

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This is the biggest problem. The wife has a new 8+ - but all of the portrait modes are basically unusable because a) they use the 2x zoom lens and b) this lens is not fast enough (f2.8 vs. the wide angle's f1.8). In anything but perfect outdoor lighting, the zoom lens has to jack up the ISO to get a good exposure ... and the resulting picture looks terrible. The iPhone X should possibly be better (f2.4 on the zoom lens).

"Why does this look like an impressionist painting?" - the wife

I had no idea these use the zoom lens, that's actually terrible. Despite people saying otherwise, the quality on the zoom lens is like taking a 4 year step back.

Reactions: Lill-Q

ImBuz

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
California
Why is this such a selling feature on a device? After the first wave of everyone posting the same exact looking picture on social media, no one will ever use this again.

Exactly-many folks have thousands of photos they will only look at one time and then maybe post online, to be looked at one time--most phone cameras the laat few years have been more than good enough for most people.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I am underwhelmed by Portrait Lighting on my 8+, but I have found that contour light seems to improve a lot of photos. If you have a huge amount of light, the feature works pretty well. In low light, it is completely useless and looks awful.

My biggest issue - and maybe I have a bad camera - is that everyone looks like they have a sunburn in the photos I take on the iPhone 8. I really should look into this more, as the skintones are out of control red compared to every other camera I have used and is so bad I delete a lot of them and spend time editing others.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
I tested it in Apple store, I do not like it at all. It makes mistakes, I do not want to be bothered. Some improvements should be done in Photo OSX app. Aperture was s h i .t supported,

Surak

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
Anyone with a 7+ here? Portrait mode is horribly slow since iOS 11 there. And of course, it doesn't have these modes.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
if only Stage Light mode worked that well irl...

I was about to mention that portrait mode is fairly good but it makes a lot of mistakes. I realize it is still beta, but it will continually miss depth of field, leaving small bits incorrect.

I've found that if you have a consistent and contrasting background in a good amount of light, it works really well. If you are in low light, it does not work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.