Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Release notes for the watchOS 4.1 golden master were leaked this afternoon by developer Guilherme Rambo, confirming all of the bug fixes and feature updates that we can expect to see in the new watchOS software.

Much of what's listed in the release notes was already known because the features are available in the beta, but the notes confirm GymKit support and highlight several bugs that are being addressed in the update.

watchos-4.1-800x500.jpg

watchOS 4.1 introduces streaming music on Apple Watch Series 3, and it includes a new Radio app, which is limited to watchOS Series 3 models. Though not listed in the release notes, the update also offers several new Unicode 10 emoji. Full GM release notes are below:
New features, improvements, and bug fixes include:

- Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
- Listen to live radio on Beats 1, custom stations, and expert-curated stations with the new Radio app on Apple Watch Series 3
- Use Siri to find, discover, and play songs, playlists, or albums
- Sync fitness data with GymKit-enabled treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers, and indoor bikes for more accurate distance, pace, and energy burn metrics
- Ability to disconnect from a WiFi network in Control Center for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
- Fixes an issue for Apple Watch Series 1 and later where Heart Rate notifications were delivered when the feature was not enabled
- Fixes an issue where some users did not receive Stand Reminders
- Resolves an issue where the current stand hour indicator did not appear for some users
- Resolves an issue that caused haptics to not be delivered for silent alarms
- Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users
- Resolves an issue where the Sunrise and Sunset complication would sometimes not appear
- Restores Mandarin as the default dictation language for China
As these are not final release notes, there could be additions or tweaks to the information ahead of when the new watchOS 4.1 update is released to the public. There is as of yet no mention of Apple Pay Cash, Apple's new peer-to-peer payments service, so it continues to be unclear if that feature is going to be bundled into the iOS 11.1 and watchOS 4.1 updates.

Apple employees are currently testing Apple Pay Cash as part of iOS 11.1, but support for the feature could be held back until a later update.

It's not yet clear when Apple will launch watchOS 4.1, but a release could come as soon as next week alongside iOS 11.1, macOS 10.13.1, and tvOS 11.1 if Apple is aiming to get all of its new software updates out ahead of the debut of the iPhone X.

Article Link: Leaked watchOS 4.1 GM Release Notes Confirm Apple Music Streaming, GymKit Support

Reactions: Ribitsch

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
“Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users“

oh thank GOD! I thought I was going crazy or my watch was going bad!

Exactly! I didn't realise it was a known issue. Glad it's being fixed :)

I've also been having an issue where notifications don't come to the Watch unless I restart it. Also, the Mail notification icon is a square, rather than the circle watch one...

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
- Resolves an issue where the current stand hour indicator did not appear for some users

So glad this is fixed. Thought I was the only one missing stand hours when I wasn’t.

Reactions: midkay

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So how come this developer has access to the GM release notes, and I as a developer, do not?
[doublepost=1508967907][/doublepost]
did they fix the notification bug apps icon not showing

This is listed as fixed in the most recent 4.1 beta notes, so I assume so.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
For the love of God bring back the ability to control your iCloud/locally stored music library on your Watch.

Literally one of the only reasons I've stayed on OS3, that and I have a series 0 1st gen watch and I've heard battery life can get wrecked by OS 4. Hopefully that improves as iOS 11 does as well.

I use my watch to control my music on a very regular basis when outside or around the house, I only use a local music library too as I have done since the days of the iPod (of which I also still use, a 5th gen and a Classic). So it's a big deal to me.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Literally one of the only reasons I've stayed on OS3, that and I have a series 0 1st gen watch and I've heard battery life can get wrecked by OS 4. Hopefully that improves as iOS 11 does as well.

I use my watch to control my music on a very regular basis when outside or around the house, I only use a local music library too as I have done since the days of the iPod (of which I also still use, a 5th gen and a Classic). So it's a big deal to me.
Good call. My first-gen watch usually doesn’t even make it through a 14-hour day since upgrading to watchOS 4. Under watchOS 3, I used to end the day with at least 40%.

Reactions: springsup

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014
I hope they fix the issue that the Apple Watch disconnects from iPhone when is connected to car Bluetooth and is on a call.

Reactions: Böhme417

tcellguy

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
For the love of God bring back the ability to control your iCloud/locally stored music library on your Watch.

I don't think its coming back/ Not anytime soon that is. I'm still surprised how almost no tech websites/channels have discussed this.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I wonder if the Radio app not being available on the Apple Watch series zero, one and two is a hardware related issue or a marketing stratagey?

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006

Ditto. MacRumors should post changelogs of all the things Apple takes away when you upgrade. I didn't read about this anywhere. I wouldn't have updated my watch had I known. If this was widely known ahead of time, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Yea! But...
New features, improvements, and bug fixes include:
Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
...that's why it probably is gone?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
“Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users“

oh thank GOD! I thought I was going crazy or my watch was going bad!

I too thought there was something wrong with my girlfriends 1st generation Watch. Occasionally it would say the charger was unauthorized or something but it was an Apple cube. Taking it off and putting it back on would make it charge again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.