Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's release of watchOS 4.1, which enables Apple Music and Beats 1 streaming over LTE on cellular-enabled Apple Watch Series 3 models, Apple has outlined how much impact the functionality has on battery life.

apple-watch-apple-music-streaming.jpg

While all Apple Watch Series 3 models are rated for up to 10 hours of battery life when playing music from the watch's built-in storage, Apple says the device gets up to seven hours of battery life when streaming Apple Music with LTE.

Apple also says the Apple Watch Series 3 has up to five hours of battery life when streaming live radio with LTE. watchOS 4.1 features a new Radio app with access to Beats 1 and other Apple Music radio stations.

For outdoor sessions with the Workout app, the Apple Watch Series 3 is rated for up to three hours of battery life with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE. That's one hour less than an outdoor workout without streaming audio.

Apple says battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, streaming quality settings, and many other factors.

Article Link: Apple Says Apple Watch Series 3 Lasts Up to 7 Hours When Streaming Apple Music Over LTE

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Considering I can get 4 days on a single charge (I take it off at night) I don’t doubt this. I think apple was really conservative with their battery life statements on this device.

3 hours of battery working out! ROFL!

This is why you will never see a triathlete with an apple watch.

I would say that anyone trying to swim with AirPods in, has other problems to worry about.

Without streaming music you get 4-5 hours, and more if you don’t have it in workout mode. But again, Apple is conservative so I would expect people see more, even when streaming music.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Great to know you can stream music for 7 hours.

How much data does that use? How much do you get per month in the $10/month plan?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
very decent, even if its not 7 and if its 6, is not too bad...
Good Apple
[doublepost=1509543716][/doublepost]
Great to know you can stream music for 7 hours.

How much data does that use? How much do you get per month in the $10/month plan?
i am streaming music, and with 1gb dont have any problems

Reactions: Ted13

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
20MB of data every 10 minutes, around 3.5GB data a month if you are a heavy streaming one

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Interesting that using the radio app uses your battery more. Apple must be doing some catching with the music app to save battery life. Smart

Reactions: Aston441

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I think the Apple Watch is starting to become more interesting and very tempted to buy. For me to get the most out of it the cellular version is a must. I can see myself not upgrading my SE next year and getting one of these to compliment. My only issue is I'm on Voda and only EE support this atm.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I hope Amazon comes out with a stand alone app that will stream Amazon music to the Series 3.
I have Prime so I don't see the need to pay for Apple Music.

I got a question that is probably a stupid question though.
I'm planning on getting a Series 3 LTE hopefully this black Friday or CyberMonday and giving my Series 2 to my son...

What benefit does the Apple Ear Pods give me over just regular BT headphones?
Does it give me more functionality with the watch?

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I've got a question for y'all. Is there an approximate guess out there as to the amount of data you'd be streaming if you were to listen to Apple Music over LTE from your watch for the full 7 hours?

Reactions: roncron

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I've been impressed with the battery life of my Series 3 as compared to what I was getting from my Series 0. In particular I've been impressed with how slowly the battery drains when I'm using workout mode and listening to music from the Watch.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
3 hours of battery working out! ROFL!

This is why you will never see a triathlete with an apple watch.

Funny, I'm a Triathelete (albeit, not very good) but I use an Apple Watch for training and events* Garmin have the market sown up already, with the Apple watch not having a specific mode - that's a problem.

*although attempting to start the fitness options when in open water in a wet suit is interesting.

Reactions: yoyo kayak

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Why do you get seven hours of battery when streaming Apple Music over LTE, but five hours when streaming radio over LTE? How is streaming Apple Music more battery efficient?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.