Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone X launched today and the jury is still out in regard to what the device means for iOS gamers. It stands to reason that the new swipe gesture that replaces the home button is inevitably going to get in the way of some games which require either frantic or elaborate full-screen swipes, but in our experiences the few games that have been updated so far haven't had much of an issue accidentally triggering the home gesture.

iphone-x-sky-game-800x413.jpg

If you're looking for some new games to load up on your iPhone X, over at TouchArcade we've got a roundup of the best games for iPhone X. It bridges the gap between games that are fun on touch screens anyway, and titles that have been updated to support the full-screen resolution of the iPhone X. It's likely you own more than a few of these, as games getting zero day updates are typically all classic titles.

If you're looking for graphically impressive games to put the new GPU to the test, we've been posting roundups of the best iPhone games for that for years now. Whenever a new device is released we dig through the App Store and come up with the latest crop of 3D intensive games, and it seems like more than anything else the list just evolves instead of being totally fresh each time. The Infinity Blade games are still some of the best looking iOS games, but The Witness is a recent addition to our list of showstoppers.

We're spending tons of time testing all sorts of games on the iPhone X to continue to flesh out our best games for iPhone X article, which is no small undertaking given the enormity of the App Store catalog. Our community is also at work searching for great iPhone X games, but like most new hardware launches, apps and games that take advantage of everything on day one are few and far between.

Be sure to drop any particularly great iPhone X games that you've played in the comments, and in the meantime, follow along with us over on TouchArcade for all the latest news, reviews, and loads more covering every aspect of mobile gaming. We'll be back with a more traditional news roundup next week, and hopefully by then I'll have an even more exhaustive list of must-haves for the iPhone X.

Article Link: TouchArcade iOS Gaming Roundup: Gaming on the iPhone X

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
What game is that in the image?

I believe it’s Thatgamecompany’s upcoming game ‘Sky’. Looks lovely eh? Though perhaps a slightly odd choice of a leading image for an article about what games to play if you just bought an iPhone (X or otherwise) because I don’t think er, that game(!) is out yet... but I think it’s due out soon anyway so I guess people can look forward to it.

http://thatgamecompany.com/sky/

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Pac Man is gonna conflict with the gestures. It already has with iOS 10

pjorlando

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I have been using iPhone X for the past six hours and I have to say anyone who says the notch fades away after a while is full of sh*t! It sticks out like a sore thumb when playing games and watching video. And the persistent line at the bottom of the screen is obnoxious. After a few minutes of using the phone I get it... you need to swipe up from the bottom. There should be a way to turn it off. It gets in the way and is just as annoying as the notch when watching video. Overall the phone feels very high quality but the notch is bad design and the that line is as well.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
They are literally not allowed to do that. It’s against Apple‘s guidelines and would lead to a rejection on submission to the App Store.
I think they should allow it as an option IMO. Rounded corners and distracting screen elements put me off.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I stopped caring about mobile gaming years ago. Swiping and onscreen buttons just aren’t that appealing to me, and it results in a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the device.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I’m sorry, but that notch is hideous. I hope Apple comes up with a solution for it for its next iPhone. It so distracting
This post brought to you by the Samesung Army. “You say, we pay!”

Reactions: HEK

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Not having a tactile Home button is almost as dumb as a pro laptop only having Thunderbolt 3.

The notch is, by far, the dumbest thing Apple ever did, and I’m including the hockey puck mouse.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
This post brought to you by the Samesung Army. “You say, we pay!”

Lol, and yet if you look at my signature, all I own is Apple stuff. You fanboys are pathetic lol. Put down the cool aid bud.
[doublepost=1509813390][/doublepost]
I am not sure we can take your design comments, if that Avatar photo is you... is it 1997 Eminem? ;)

No, just an attractive guy from Georgia. And how my design comments have anything to do with my pic? Lol the reach.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Slightly different UI design and of course there will be a step change. It’s down to developers to make the necessary changes.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.