Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple enabled an iPhone X availability tool on its website over the weekend, allowing customers to check stock at nearby stores, but those looking for more of a bird's-eye view may prefer to use iStockNow.com.

iphone-x-silver.jpg

iStockNow has a live map of iPhone X availability at Apple's retail stores around the world, with filters that allow you to search for specific storage capacities, colors, and carrier-specific or SIM-free models.

Apple stores with the iPhone X in stock are marked with green pins, while locations that are out of stock have red pins. There is an option to hide stores that don't have any availability at the time of your search.

istocknow-map.jpg

iStockNow is not much different than Apple's availability tool, but it may be useful to those looking for a visual look at iPhone X stock around the world, rather than only at nearby stores based on a ZIP or postal code.

On a related note, Apple has expanded its iPhone X availability tool to two more countries: Japan and Singapore.

Simply visit the iPhone X purchase page for your country from the list below, select a carrier if required, choose a color, and then click on "Pickup: Check Availability" below your desired storage capacity.o Australia
o Canada
o France
o Germany
o Italy
o Japan
o The Netherlands
o Singapore
o Spain
o Sweden
o United Kingdom
o United StatesA window will pop open with iPhone X availability--if any--at nearby Apple stores based on your ZIP or postal code.

At stores where the iPhone X is available, customers can complete the checkout process and reserve the device for same day in-store pickup. We recommend bringing at least one valid government-issued photo ID with you.

Update: iPhone X availability can also be tracked on IsInStock.com.

Article Link: iStockNow Provides Bird's-Eye View of iPhone X Availability at Apple Stores Around the World

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Yet people that ordered late on launch day have a scheduled delivery window for first week of December .... anyway, I guess those people can cancel the order and pickup in store without issues (even in the upgrade program?).

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Ars is reporting that the display on the iPhone X is ONLY 8-bit color, and NOT 10-bit color, as it typically the case for a product labeling itself as (supporting) HDR ... as such, once this becomes common knowledge, availability (of the X) will increase everywhere around the world.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
Pre-ordered it on Oct 27th and still showing shipment date of Dec 1-8.

Question to those who bought it outright without commitment: Does it need activation? Is it not just a matter of popping in the old SIM in the new phone? I believe that activating it will incur an activation fee, No?

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
This kind of logistical nonsense is making my inner Apple loyalist die.

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind ever stay up until midnight the night of a pre-order, struggle to get the damn thing to work, finally make a purchase at 12:06am and then get a 2-3 week delivery window... when anyone could walk into a store and just pick one up?

Aren't preorders supposed to sell out all available stock of an item before local retail receives any of them? I don't understand this siloing of quantities for specific sale. All this does is cause people like me to get burned.

Even more infuriating is that I'm a ****ing developer and I see kids holding iPhone X's on the trains I ride to work. I don't have the device I ordered but kids do. It goes to show you how much animoji and emoticon touch bars are Apple's core now. I had an equally terrible experience buying my watch series 3 edition white ceramic.

Perhaps it's time to listen to the other tribes on what they've been saying about Android and the Surface products.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind ever stay up until midnight the night of a pre-order, struggle to get the damn thing to work, finally make a purchase at 12:06am and then get a 2-3 week delivery window... when anyone could walk into a store and just pick one up?

Aren't preorders supposed to sell out all available stock of an item before local retail receives any of them? I don't understand this siloing of quantities for specific sale. All this does is cause people like me to get burned.

Even more infuriating is that I'm a ****ing developer and I see kids holding iPhone X's on the trains I ride to work. I don't have the device I ordered but kids do. It goes to show you how much animoji and emoticon touch bars are Apple's core now. I had an equally terrible experience buying my watch series 3 edition white ceramic.

Perhaps it's time to listen to the other tribes on what they've been saying about Android and the Surface products.

Perhaps you should. That’s where most entitled millennials go

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Yet people that ordered late on launch day have a scheduled delivery window for first week of December .... anyway, I guess those people can cancel the order and pickup in store without issues (even in the upgrade program?).
Apple is following the classic playbook on how to artificially create demand. A real company would fill the preorders before shipping to the stores.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ars is reporting that the display on the iPhone X is ONLY 8-bit color, and NOT 10-bit color, as it typically the case for a product labeling itself as (supporting) HDR ... as such, once this becomes common knowledge, availability (of the X) will increase everywhere around the world.
So does the note 8. Is that the reason they(note 8) are easy to acquire? /s

danthebeast

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks Joe! Really appreciate that. Our main difference too is we offer instant text message alerts, so the second the stock is in, a user can be notified and make the purchase.

Lots of cool new features coming out soon. If you have any questions about the tool please don't hesitate to reach out dan@isinstock.com. Thanks again.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I seriously doubt it. 1. The general public wouldn't know HDR if it bit them on the butt. 2. Who can tell the difference anyway? 3. It don't matter cuz it don't matter. The phone isn't selling because it has HDR or any other single feature. It's selling because it's an iPhone. You can take that last statement positively or negatively depending on your bent.;)

Reactions: CB1234

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Pre-ordered it on Oct 27th and still showing shipment date of Dec 1-8.

Question to those who bought it outright without commitment: Does it need activation? Is it not just a matter of popping in the old SIM in the new phone? I believe that activating it will incur an activation fee, No?
It will activate on new sim. No more popping sim card.

signde

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
If you think just anyone can walk in and buy an iPhone X right now you obviously didn't look at the map. I've been watching istocknow's map since Friday. It was empty all day. There was a wave of availability that happened at 6am Saturday but then Macrumors posted the article that phones were available for pickup a few hours later. Everything quickly emptied out and has been mostly that way ever since.

Went through this same song and dance last year with the 7. I checked istock periodically Saturday after launch. At some point during the day, one came up. I reserved it. When I arrived to pick it up, the store said it was the only one they had received that day.

We probably talking about a handful of phones for each store at this point so I really don't see this as snubbing pre-orders at all.

Reactions: Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Maps gonna look quite light for the coming weeks and you will have to stalk consistently to get it, so pre orders are not something to be taken for granted, just because opening weekend was heavy initially doesn't mean that trend will continue.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if a phone actually is available to reserve in store do I need to cancel my pre-order in order to proceed with the pickup? Hoping to keep the pre-order as a plan B haha

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

So, ****ing developers can't develop or wait a few weeks to get the new X? Your email and browser don't work on your old phone, or what? Haven't you lived your whole life without an iPhone X? What's the big deal?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

You aren't asking for sympathy but you gotta know it sounds like you're mad at Apple because you made a strategic error. And no, afaik, preorders have never been designated to sell out before local retail receives stock.

Perhaps, just hear me out, it's time to exercise some impulse control... and perspective. It's just a phone. You'll survive. You're why on earth question... rhetorical right?:D

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I seriously doubt it. 1. The general public wouldn't know HDR if it bit them on the butt. 2. Who can tell the difference anyway? 3. It don't matter cuz it don't matter. The phone isn't selling because it has HDR or any other single feature. It's selling because it's an iPhone. You can take that last statement positively or negatively depending on your bent.;)
You're absolutely right '69'! They might be able to see the difference between 8 and 10 bit color if they had identical photos on two displays side by side under controlled conditions, and then only if the photo subjects contained significant colors in the color gamut fringes.
[doublepost=1509991104][/doublepost]Picked up a new iPhone 8+ 256 last week. Good feeling knowing I won't have to spend the next year dealing with bugs being worked out of the X.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

Nope. For years now Apple has had limited pre-order stock and sent most units to the stores. When I bought my wife the 4, people were waiting for months for their pre-orders while I walked a few weeks after launch and bought it.

Stores cost money, so you need to stock them to sell stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.