Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Augmented reality gaming company Reach Robotics today announced that its MekaMon gaming robot is coming to Apple Stores throughout the US and UK starting on November 16.

mekamon2.jpg

Priced at $299.99, MekaMon is a real-life robot that melds real-world gameplay with augmented reality. MekaMon, a four-legged spider-shaped robot that measures in at 11.8in x 11.8in x 5.9in, is designed to let players battle their robots in both the physical and virtual worlds using iOS devices.

MekaMon is compatible with newer iOS devices and adopts the iPhone's camera and infrared sensors for what Reach Robotics calls "precision gameplay." MekaMon robots connect to one another using infrared signals as players' iPhones connect over Bluetooth, letting friends battle against each other or participate in arcade and cooperative gameplay.

mekamongameplay.jpg

With the built-in augmented reality support, gamers can choose to play with their MekaMon robots either in the real world or using augmented reality. Once a battle is engaged, MekaMon is able to move and use objects in the room like tables, chairs, and more to block attackers.

Each MekaMon robot can be customized by adding weapons or shields to make the robot more aggressive, defensive, or technically inclined, and the MekaMon robots are compatible with Swift Playgrounds, so users can control their robots using Swift code.

mekamon3.jpg

MekaMon can be used as a code learning tool with users able to implement "fundamental coding concepts" to control MekaMon's movements, reactions, and startup and shutdown features.
"We've created an entirely new video gaming platform," said Silas Adekunle, CEO of Reach Robotics. "MekaMon straddles both the real and virtual worlds while taking the gaming experience beyond a player's screen and turning their sitting room into a limitless robotic battle zone. MekaMon represents a quantum leap forward in the leveraging of augmented reality. Players can whip out their smartphone to battle their multi-functional, connected battlebots in the physical and virtual worlds at the same time."
MekaMon can be purchased from Apple.com or MekaMon.com for $299 starting today. It will be in Apple retail stores tomorrow.

Article Link: Reach Robotics' 'MekaMon' AR Gaming Robot Available at Apple Stores for $299

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pretty cool, looks like it would be a lot of fun. I like that it works with Swift Playgrounds too.

10 years from now a new generation of coders will give this thing credit for how they got their start.

And those of us old enough to remember Tom Selleck in Runaway have been dreaming about toys like this!

I’m interested in Hexa , yet no Swift Playgrounds compatibility.

That video was unnecessarily depressing. Poor spider robot, tortured to death by amputation.

I’m hoping these companies quickly come out with better legs, cable and grappling attachments! I’d like a more modular robot like this with expandable gear. These are the new Lego’s of the digital robotic era!
[doublepost=1510742522][/doublepost]I can’t wait in 10yrs we’ll have robotics like that bipod robot in Mission To mars movie (Val kilmer). That would be sick!

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I really like that so many of these (well half a dozen plus) new toys are getting Swift Playgrounds integration. It is a great way for kids to get involved in programming. I hope that trend continues. I've been buying various bluetooth toys with SP integration for my younger relatives and they've been a hit while simultaneously being educational.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
I stopped reading at “infrared” and “Bluetooth”.
Infrared requires line of sight and Bluetooth is notoriously finicky.
Why not WiFi?

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.