Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral Interactive released racing game GRID Autosport for iPhone and iPad today, an iOS version of Codemasters' smash hit triple-A title that looks every bit as impressive as its PC and console counterparts.

The pro-racing game aims to deliver a mix of simulation and arcade handling using intuitive touch and tilt controls, and includes all the original DLC, 28 circuits and over 100 cars. Players can further their racing career by exploring six different disciplines:

IMG_8DC1F3F4DA16-1.jpeg
[*]Tuner - Drive your Super Modified motor over its limit in Drift and Time Attack events.

[*]Touring - Lead the pack by driving with aggression and determination in full-contact races.

[*]Endurance - Test your mental strength and physical stamina in extended night-time races.

[*]Open Wheel - Accelerate to 200mph while perfecting your racing line in lightweight racing machines.

[*]Street - Ramp up the fear factor on perilously tight city circuits.

[*]Party Mode - Battle to become the last car standing in Demolition Derby, get the farthest in Checkpoint, and make sure you stay out of last place in Eliminator!
A quick race is all it takes to confirm GRID Autosport's exceptional graphics and nippy performance. However, drivers should take note that the console-quality assets do make GRID pretty demanding - the game requires an iPhone SE, an iPhone 7 or newer, an iPad (2017) or any iPad Pro, and iOS 11 or later.

As noted on MacRumors sister site TouchArcade, the sheer graphical richness of GRID has also led Feral to implement an unusual post-install process - the game itself is a 4GB download on the App Store, but several gigabytes of additional content and high resolution textures are delivered as free IAPs, bringing the storage space requirements to around 6GB.

If you're still not sure whether your device can handle the game, here's a full rundown: supported iPads include iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad Pro 9.7-inch and iPad (2017) 9.7-inch. Supported iPhones include iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, and iPhone SE.

As mentioned, players will need 6GB of free space to install the base game with all of the free DLC packs, although Feral recommends having at least 8GB of free space to avoid installation issues.

GRID Autosport is a one-time purchase and costs $9.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Feral Releases 'Console-Quality' GRID Autosport Racing for iPhone and iPad

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
It will also run on the iPhone 6S - you get a warning that it is unsupported so may not look or perform as well but lots of people are reporting good performance on that device.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Pretty liberal use of the term AAA here, is this publisher even capable of a AAA title?
Which publisher are you talking about, Codemasters or Feral? I guess it really doesn't matter because both companies publish AAA titles all the time. Codemasters is the house for F1, Dirt, and Grid. Feral is one of the main reasons Mac gaming still exists.

If you're going to question anything, question the "mix of simulation and arcade handling" and "console quality".

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
This looks great, and I also love the idea of a one-time purchase. I'm still aching for Burnout Paradise (and the fun version of Crash Mode) to appear on iOS.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Their website does state that the 6s, 6s Plus and the SE are compatible. Maybe it doesn't run as well on the lower end of compatible phones.

Reactions: norz

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This should have been released for Android where a device like the nvidia shield tv can really make a racing game shine on a big screen.
"It was all going so well, but a bump in the development road has pushed the Android release of GRID Autosport back from our original schedule.

While this is disappointing, we can confirm that it will be using the Vulkan graphics API to create a superb experience of the game on Android.

We are now scheduling launch of GRID Autosport on Android for the first half of 2018." - Feral

hotlap

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Just purchased and it took almost 10 minutes to load on new iPad Pro 10.5 - it had already downloaded extra content.

hotlap

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
What are your first impressions?

It’s quite nervous in the steering to start with. That’s my first thought, doing at rookie level.

But what I didn’t realise is that it really does all the braking for you. You can keep on the gas and just be smooth with the steering. As a racer in the real world, it was against my thinking, so I’ll have to reset and try it differently. I’d like to dumb down the steering somewhat, give a bit of understeer (push) and have the throttle a bit better modulated. If you could add a Bluetooth wheel and pedals and push it onto a big screen via Apple TV that would be cool

Reactions: SteveW928

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I do a lot of RR3, IAPs and gold-farming aside, how does Grid compare to RR3? I'm very tempted to purchase, just not 100% sure yet...

Reactions: norz

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
"It was all going so well, but a bump in the development road has pushed the Android release of GRID Autosport back from our original schedule.

While this is disappointing, we can confirm that it will be using the Vulkan graphics API to create a superb experience of the game on Android.

We are now scheduling launch of GRID Autosport on Android for the first half of 2018." - Feral

I can wait. I've got every version of GRID for PC. Currently on my Shield TV I've got Real Racing 3 but the graphics are subpar for today's standards and overall game experience is tedious.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm kind of happy to see games that require more or less an A9X (lo res iPhone SE aside) to run. Let's start pushing these monster CPU/GPUs Apple is putting in their devices.

What do you mean by "low-res SE"? All iPhones since iPhone 4 have had a Retina display. Unless you're talking about the "size" of the display? Screen size and resolution (pixel density) are two separate characteristics of a display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.