Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's piece of the smartphone ecosystem market fell in eight total territories during the August-October 2017 timeframe, according to new data tracked by Kantar Worldpanel. Echoing numerous stories from earlier this fall that reported people were waiting for the iPhone X and not purchasing an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, Kantar's data showed a 7.6 percentage point drop for iOS in the United States when compared to the same year-ago period.

iphonexretinadisplay.jpg

That number was higher in Great Britain where iOS dropped 8.5 percentage points from 2016, and was followed by Japan (down 6.9 percentage points), Germany (down 1.6), France (down 0.6), Italy (down 0.5), and Australia (down 0.2). While iOS dropped 7.6 points in the U.S., Android increased by 8.2 percentage points during this time.

In the same three-month period ending October of last year, 30.1 percent of iOS users in Europe and the U.S. had owned their iPhones for more than two years. iPhone X excitement further affected this statistic as well, increasing to 35.3 percent in 2017 and "signifying considerable pent-up demand" for the iPhone X, according to Kantar.
"It was somewhat inevitable that Apple would see volume share fall once we had a full comparative month of sales taking into account the non-flagship iPhone 8 vs. the flagship iPhone 7 from 2016," said Dominic Sunnebo, Global Business Unit Director for Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. "This decrease is significant and puts pressure on the iPhone X to perform. Considering the complete overhaul that the iPhone X offers, consumers may be postponing their purchase decisions until they can test the iPhone X and decide whether the higher price, compared to the iPhone 8, is worth the premium to them."

"As of October 2017, 35.3% of Apple's installed base customers across Europe and the USA had owned their iPhones for more than two years - up from 30.1% a year earlier and signifying considerable pent-up demand within Apple's base. In pure value terms, it is likely the iPhone X average selling price will more than make up for a dip in sales of older iPhone models," Sunnebo added.
While Apple saw a drop in most countries, iOS share grew slightly in China during this period with a 0.5 percentage point increase, suggesting that the company's ongoing efforts to expand its foothold in the Chinese market are paying off. Apple CEO Tim Cook furthered that sentiment during a keynote speech at China's annual state-run World Internet Conference over the weekend, where he said that Chinese developers have earned more selling apps on Apple's iOS platform than developers from any other country.

kantar-october-2017.jpg

Now that the iPhone X has been out for a month, sales figures for the smartphone have been positive and Apple has continuously improved delivery dates for the device over the subsequent weeks. Research shared by IHS Markit earlier in December reported that early adoption rates for the iPhone X -- looking at its first three weeks on the market -- beat the iPhone 8 and iPhone 7 Plus during similar timeframes. According to TrendForce, this strong iPhone X demand will help push Apple ahead of Samsung in Q4 2017 to become the world's largest smartphone maker.

Article Link: iOS Lost Market Share in Numerous Countries From August to October 2017 as People Waited for iPhone X

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I personally like and use IOS (iPhone 6S) but I think Apple will continue to see a decline against Android on a worldwide basis because we will continue to see more Android phones released at a better value.

Apple's prices are increasing, look at the $1,000+ iPhone X, while at the same time you can purchase a quality Android smartphone for well under $100, just look at companies like NUU Mobile.

Of course I am not saying a $100 Android phone is even remotely in the same technological and innovative category as the iPhone X, but as consumers around the world are offered decent quality smartphones at low prices, Android pressure will continue to erode IOS overall.

Last edited:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Who even cares anymore?
Apple is constantly money driven, not customer driven.
I mean damn, the bugs, rushed OS updates, ugly designs and THE BUGS are NOT what Steve would have wanted.
Get back to just being the best and best at what you do and people will stay.
I mean damn, have you even seen the GS8+? Beautiful. Laggy, but beautiful.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It makes me wonder what drives people to buy new phones. I held on to my SE until Apple's new devices hit the market, and then tried them out to decide which one would work best for me. If this article is to be believed, people dumped Apple's eco-system -- even though their iPhones probably worked just fine -- simply because Apple didn't crank out a new device fast enough for them. To me it seems like jumping back and forth between Apple and Android would be more of a headache than it's worth (unless those iPhone users are mostly using Google's services anyway).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
iOS 11.2 broke the camera if you happen to use a case with magnets in it
Whoa, I didn’t realize that. I didn’t update yet and didn’t get the “nag” prompt to update so I didn’t realize my iOS was not up to date. My X is most often in an OtterBox anyway.

Reactions: madmin

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Market share. A meaningless statistic unless you break it down.

Sales of $50 Android phones shouldn’t be compared to $400-1000 iPhones.

Apple led the windowing desktop revolution with the Macintosh, they were the first, but they were expensive and eventually Microsoft eclipsed them. Today, Microsoft windows dominates the worldwide desktop market. The same could end up happening with IOS; Apple pioneered the modern day smartphone with IOS, but Android is gaining ground.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Who even cares anymore?
Apple is constantly money driven, not customer driven.
I mean damn, the bugs, rushed OS updates, ugly designs and THE BUGS are NOT what Steve would have wanted.
Get back to just being the best and best at what you do and people will stay.
I mean damn, have you even seen the GS8+? Beautiful. Laggy, but beautiful.
I own the GS8+. It’s nice enough despite some qc quibbles. I like my 7 Plus and my X way better. The GS8+ is prone to develop buggy behavior and lags. I get more consistently better pictures with the X and even the 7 Plus.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
I am on apple's upgrade program (with a 7+) and would have upgraded to the 8+, but waited for the X. Then when I bought the X and didn't like it, the 8+ was almost two months old. I'm gonna stick with my 7+, but will switch to Android next year if the notch (or notch+) is my only option.
Spot on. I already switched to android, but hoping apple Will bring an awesome device next year without a notch (and which doesnt look super dated like the currently plus).

Reactions: TechTeacher101

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This was compared to a year ago. How about market share by calendar quarter going back a year? Also how did android grow? $50 android smartphones?

marketshare is valuable to google. They make a bundle from android. Other than that marketshare is meaningless.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
It makes me wonder what drives people to buy new phones. I held on to my SE until Apple's new devices hit the market, and then tried them out to decide which one would work best for me. If this article is to be believed, people dumped Apple's eco-system -- even though their iPhones probably worked just fine -- simply because Apple didn't crank out a new device fast enough for them. To me it seems like jumping back and forth between Apple and Android would be more of a headache than it's worth (unless those iPhone users are mostly using Google's services anyway).

I can't understand that either. I am with apple forever simply because I am 4 years into the icloud and there is no turning back.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Of course I am not saying a $100 Android phone is even remotely in the same technological and innovative category as the iPhone X, but as consumers around the world are offered decent quality smartphones at low prices, Android pressure will continue to erode IOS overall.

There’s no Android pressure on iOS. Apple continues to sell record numbers of iPhones, and based on their guidance for this quarter they are set to break yet another record.

At the high-end the iPhone dominates the smartphone industry. Samsung, at number 2, is WAY behind Apple. As in selling 1/4-1/3 as many high-end phones as Apple.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Market share. A meaningless statistic unless you break it down.

Sales of $50 Android phones shouldn’t be compared to $400-1000 iPhones.
Hah! How much money can you make by selling a phone for $50.00 ? Unless the carrier is paying the difference to the manufacturer, it’s either a loss or garbage.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Has a lot to do with what cellular providers are pushing. I have seen these employees pushing Samsung Galaxy 8 really hard. From what I understand, this is the main sales channel (at least in the US) so it would make sense. Not sure why these cellular retail shops are specifically pushing Galaxy S8 and Note but if I had to guess, it is because they have inventory to move. Sales pitches usually included lines like Galaxy “can do more”. If I were not familiar with phones, this would be convincing enough.

Reactions: bchreng

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Funny, almost everyone i encounter has an iPhone, yet I know android sells more devices. Must be a demographic thing...

Reactions: deuxani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.