Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this afternoon shared three new ads on its YouTube channel, all of which are quick clips that focus on select iPhone X features like Portrait Lighting and Face ID.

The first video, "Opens with a Glance," displays the iPhone X with the words "Introducing the most unforgettable magical password ever created. Your face," before showing off a series of faces to demonstrate how the iPhone X can be unlocked with facial recognition.

A second video, "Adapts to Your Face," was previously available on Apple's Canadian YouTube channel. It's designed to highlight the machine learning techniques used to allow Face ID to adapt to beards, hats, sunglasses, and other facial changes.

The third video, "Introducing Portrait Lighting," demonstrates the Portrait Lighting feature that's available on the iPhone X. Portrait lighting is designed to allow users to adjust the lighting in an image using depth mapping techniques, and it is also available on iPhone 8 Plus.

Today's iPhone X videos follow several iPhone X feature ads that Apple shared in late November. Those previous videos focused on Face ID and Animoji, demonstrating specific Face ID features like its ability to work in the dark and adapt to makeup.

Apple will use these short 15-second ads to show off iPhone X features on television, on the web, and on social networks like Instagram.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Ads Highlighting iPhone X Face ID and Portrait Lighting

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
When it works (and I'd say it works as intended less than 50% of the times) Stage Lighting outputs some stunning, vibrant portraits.

img_0038.jpg

Last edited:

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
That stage light option never seems to work that good for me.. The results are always awful!.. Most people I know don't even wanna mess with it due to similar results.. I'd love a good tutorial, cause I'm sure there's a way to nail it..
Same, doesn't work well at all. I've yet to take 1 decent photo with it on. There's always some residuals of white or background noise. You have to have an outside light source instead of just the phone I'm betting.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Face ID is defiantly innovative and I think Apple has one of the best implementations for a phone, but I wish they would have left fingerprint ID along with Face ID. I tried an iPhone X for a week, and there were numerous times when I wanted to unlock my phone but not put it up to my face.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don’t own an X, but every time I’ve tried portrait lighting in an apple store it says “Background too far away” and won’t work.

It left a bad impression on the people I was with. “So you can’t use Face ID outside?” they ask.

I just have to shrug my shoulders. “I have an 8, maybe I’m using it wrong” is what I say.

Not a great demo to have in the stores.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Face ID has been great so far. It maybe just a hair slower than Touch ID, but its very good.

I was surprised at how accurate animohs are with facial expressions.

Reactions: leebroath

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Face ID is the epitome of frustrated greatness. I love it when it's useful and works well. I hate it when it doesn't - like when I'm wearing sunglasses (which I do a lot), or at too much of an angle. It adds some convenience and cool technology in some instances. And in others it significantly hinders the process and purpose of having it enabled. So I personally can't figure out if it's worth it or not, though I've only had the X for 5 days now.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Portrait lighting is an useless gimmick. Half the time it shaves some of the head off or does something else wrong. I doubt I'll bother with it again. It's sad to see they keep adding useless stuff like that and animojis.

Reactions: klch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Hey guys so, I just heard you can't upgrade the RAM in the iMac Pro.

I only bring it up in case anyone felt like arguing about something other than the phone stuff for a change. Anyone?

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
Hey guys so, I just heard you can't upgrade the RAM in the iMac Pro.

I only bring it up in case anyone felt like arguing about something other than the phone stuff for a change. Anyone?

It’s a non issue for me. When I purchased the MacBook Air 13, I maxed out with the ram. You need to know what you want i.e. upgrades before you purchased a Mac.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I actually don't like the picture at all. Nothing to do with you of course, just the actual picture quality looks terrible to me. Parts of your cheek and hair are cut off.

It’s not me in the picture.

And no, it does not look “terrible” at all. Absolutely not terrible.

Of course something is chopped off, it was taken in a dressing room with a phone, not with a DSLR and a proper studio. Geez.

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
With the exception of the iPad commercial "Not a Computer" i have not been impressed with their ads in a while. I miss the Mac/PC commercials.
Of course the Ellen Feiss commercial was the best.

I disagree with you on regarding iPad is not a computer. I can tell you my iPad Pro (absolutely love this device) does 90% of what my MacBook can do. My only gripe with my iPad has to do with files app. Okay I have few, iTunes on iPad - where I can backup without iCloud, access HD, access dmg protected files, ability to use mouse, and office for iOS is still limited, for example you cannot do mail merger - may be to do with files app? If Apple can implement it, I don’t see why you would need a computer? That would be the day!

Reactions: catean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.