Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 11 update to developers, just over one week after releasing iOS 11.2, the second major iOS 11 update, and just a few hours after releasing iOS 11.2.1.

Registered developers can download the iOS 11.2.5 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

iphone8ios11-800x710.jpg

It's not clear what new features will be included in the iOS 11.2.5 beta, but as a minor 11.x.x update, it is likely to focus primarily on bug fixes and security improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. It's not clear why Apple has skipped several numbers to release an 11.2.5 beta.

We are still waiting on two major iOS 11 features that have yet to be introduced, though. iCloud Messages and AirPlay 2 have not yet been fully implemented and are likely to be added in an upcoming beta.

Prior to iOS 11.2.5, Apple released iOS 11.2, which brought Apple Pay Cash, Apple's new peer-to-peer payments service, plus faster 7.5W wireless charging and a long list of bug fixes.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
We are still waiting on two major iOS 11 features that have yet to be introduced, though. iCloud Messages and AirPlay 2 have not yet been fully implemented and are likely to be added in an upcoming beta.
Has health sync released yet? I don't think so right?

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
Well, this is interesting. Some were expecting iOS 11.3 beta 1, or perhaps something about 11.2.2...but here's 11.2.5 beta 1.
If apple follows the pattern iOS 11.3 will be next year and it will have a lot of new features (maybe iCloud iMessage? dark mode for iPhone X?)

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
So a kinda bigger release than normal but not big enough to make it to 11.3? lol

Reactions: ikir

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes it has

I lost about 8 months of Health and Activity data because in the Health app, I thought I was disconnecting a "Source" rather than deleting all it's data. Would be really nice if we could recall that data from older Watch backups (created by un-pairing), and merge it back into our current devices (iPhone and Watch).

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Sounds like Apple is probably planning for some new features soon than the spring (iMessage in the Cloud is one good guess.) the X.3 is usually released in early spring. For the past couple of years, Apple has used the Spring release to bring some Education features to iOS (last year 10.3 brought significant changes to Classroom, Shared iPads, and Tethered-Caching. None of those features are for individual users.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.