Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular turn-based strategy game Civilization VI made its way to the iPad today thanks to Aspyr Media. The sixth game in the Civilization series, Civilization VI was originally released on Mac and PC in October of 2016.

As with all Civilization games, the aim is to lead a newly-established civilization to glory over many hundreds of years to ultimately become a world power.

Civilization VI offers new ways to interact with your world, expand your empire across the map, advance your culture, and compete against history's greatest leaders to build a civilization that will stand the test of time. Play as one of 20 historical leaders including Roosevelt (America) and Victoria (England).

Cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.
Civilization VI is compatible with the iPad Air 2, the fifth-generation iPad, and all iPad Pro models. Aspyr has made Civilization VI free to download and has included a sort of in-game trial period.

The first 60 turns of the game can be played for free, but after that, players must purchase the full game for $60, which is likely to be a surprise to many who have come to expect iOS games to cost less than their PC counterparts.

Aspyr is, however, offering a limited time discount, dropping the price from $60 to $30 through January 4. Civilization VI can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Sid Meier's Civilization VI' Now Available on iPad

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Just downloaded it now and will give it a try. It's a 3.1 GB download.

60 turns done, already had 2 civilizations declare war on me. The graphics are lower resolution than on my desktop but they look good. The UI works well on the iPad (at least my iPad Pro 12.9").

Is it worth $60? Not likely, considering you can buy the desktop version of Civ VI for $18 right now. Is it worth $30? Maybe. Try it out. My suggestion is to buy a discounted iTunes gift card (15% off are easy to find) and use that to get it for about $25.50 if you're considering it.

One thing that's not working is the IAP to buy it. I tried to at least see that screen and nothing happened. So for now it's just a demo. UPDATE: After an iPad restart, I was able to get the IAP screen to come up.

Last edited:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I was excited until I saw that it uses IAP to unlock the full game. Just like Super Mario Run, this means that Family Share is not supported. So instead of $60, it is $360 for me (or $30/$180 if I do it during the introductory sale). Thanks but no thanks.
There is a way to share IAPs. If you buy/get all the apps from the main parent account on its iPad, then on all the family member accounts, instead of directly downloading any app, go to family purchases and download the main’s apps, then log in as the main and restore IAPs on that non-main’s iPad, you can lastly log back into the non-main’s account on that iPad and play without losing the IAPs. I haven’t tried that on this game, but I’ve done this process on many games for my kids. It works fine for us for any game that supports restoring IAPs.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Do not buy this! The support is terrible. Promised cross-platform play is not implemented yet on Mac and the game lags heavily behind the windows version in updates. They are just milking the customer for money. Not to mention that the game is riddled with bugs that hasn’t been fixed after a year.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
My word! They run with a bad iteration of the franchise that doesn't support touch properly on PC after their brilliant outing with V, and then they charge like wounded bulls. And with an expansion coming, this won't be the end of it. And I thought Firaxis took the piss with the PC version.

sevvere

Suspended
Oct 20, 2017
Would rather be able to play this on my Nintendo Switch. It charges from 0 to 100% in half the time of the IPad native charging capabilities, and I can play it while charging from a power bank at same time and it actually charges the Switch at decent rate while in use which the IPad sucks at especially with games.

No thanks

Reactions: Gravydog316

austinmcguire

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
There is a way to share IAPs. If you buy/get all the apps from the main parent account on its iPad, then on all the family member accounts, instead of directly downloading any app, go to family purchases and download the main’s apps, then log in as the main and restore IAPs on that non-main’s iPad, you can lastly log back into the non-main’s account on that iPad and play without losing the IAPs. I haven’t tried that on this game, but I’ve done this process on many games for my kids. It works fine for us for any game that supports restoring IAPs.

Thanks, I was not aware of this trick.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Do not buy this! The support is terrible. Promised cross-platform play is not implemented yet on Mac and the game lags heavily behind the windows version in updates. They are just milking the customer for money. Not to mention that the game is riddled with bugs that hasn’t been fixed after a year.

That's still not done yet? They were saying this would happen shortly after launch...lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.