21 Century Fox/Time Warner?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is if Murdoch gets his way.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/16/us-time-warner-fox-idUSKBN0FL15T20140716

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is bad. Nobody should have that much influence on American media/television/movies.

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Welcome to America.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I would hope that those in the government who will be tasked with approving or denying this acquisition would take a long hard look at the phone-hacking scandal in the UK. If a company engages in illegal activity for profit, how is that different than organised crime?

5. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

You do realize that, if all goes as some people (me not included) hope, THIS isn't the merger/buyout that we have to be worried about. Comcast is just awaiting regulatory approval to buy Time Warner Cable. While I dislike the price, I have nothing to really complain about with my Time Warner service, I see that changing if the buyout happens.

6. iBlazed, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Holy guacamole I'm gonna down vote everyone just because I can!!! Muahahahaha
    :D:D:D:D:D

EDIT: And now I can't. :(

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Remember Time Warner Cable was split out from Time Warner. Comcast is still after the cable division, Murdoch wants the entertainment company.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, anything that puts more media power in a certain person's warped and twisted control is awful idea in my opinion, but I guess we'll see how this goes..

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

There is no deal, just an offer that Time Warner turned down. That doesn't mean that Murdoch won't up the offer or try for a hostile take over.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Or not.
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/fox-ends-bid-to-acquire-time-warner/

11. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

As a nerd... I only want it to happen, so Disney will get off their asses and take the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights back.

Because if Fox buys Time Warner Entertainment, they also get DC Comics and all of their IP. Disney won't allow their competition to have access to any of their properties, they only let Fox keep X-Men and FF for a steep licensing fee and 40% of ticket sales.