21 maps and charts that prove America is Number One

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A sad, amusing, frightening bunch of maps and graphs. For example, America is Number One in incarceration rate of any large country, and, any country with numbers (no numbers for North Korea):

[​IMG]

America is also Number One in GDP - the largest economy in the world (by either measure), while China is now number two (by either measure):

[​IMG]

Check out the original article here, and, have fun:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/07/03/21-maps-and-charts-that-prove-america-is-number-one/?tid=pm_business_pop

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The interpretation of those numbers are whatever you want to make out of them.

For example, having the highest incarceration rate could be interpreted as having the best judicial system that ensures that most criminals are behind bars when compared with other countries.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

BWAHAHAHAHA.

I guess if you really want to make yourself feel better, you'll say more imprisoned people means a better "judicial system".

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Absolutely. These are just a map or a graph. What do you want to make out of this one? (BTW, the U.S. is on the far right. I almost couldn't find it at first.)

[​IMG]

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You should find one that plots health care expenditures vs. number of flat tires experienced in rush hour each day. Might be just about as relevant.

I suspect life expectancy in the USA has a lot less to do with quality (or availability) of health care and a lot more to do with unhealthy lifestyles.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In that case, how do you explain why the murder rate in the U.S. is 3X-5X as high as some countries with 1/3-1/5 the incarceration rate? You might want to consider other hypotheses to explain it.

Except that everybody else on the graph seems to be getting something for their increased expenditures. The U.S. is clearly an outlier. And, not by a little.

Oh, here is another fun one. It may, or may not, have something to do with the incarceration rate and murder rate.

[​IMG]

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

No, if we offered free health care to everyone then we could overcome all those McCoronary meals everyone has three times a day. The graph of health care expenditure vs life expectancy proves that.

And numerous studies have shown that Americans are more overweight than their European and Japanese counterparts. Free health care also causes weight loss.

Nevermind that people in other countries that I've been to eat healthier, exercise more, and take better care of themselves generally.

Nobody in the USA lives that long, even the ones who live healthy lifestyles. Our healthcare system is to blame.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You got all that from that one graph?!? :confused:

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Don't be stupid.

I bet if you find a graph that shows what % of people incarcerated in the US are ethnic minority against other countries it would be quite telling

----------

Its self explanatory, its a chart of how much an average earner spends per year on healthcare measured against the mean life expectency.

So the US being on the far right means that an average person spends around double most other countries per year, for a slightly lower life expectancy.

10. kingalexthe1st, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I assume this your way of showing just one interpretation of it? Because it could show that there are simply more criminals in America, which would be worrying. Or it could be that your judicial system is fantastic and really gets the crims behind bars. Or that there are more judges in the country who will send people to jail to reach a quota for a payoff from a private firm. Or any other number of reasons. As the saying goes...there are lies, damned lies, and statistics :)

I'd be interested to see all these broken down by state. I doubt Alaska puts away as many people as other states, yet it's lumped in there with everyone else. America has a range of demographic cultures; it would be interesting to see how this divide would affect the stats.

Alex

11. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

If anyone wants a bit of a laugh at stats then check out http://tylervigen.com/

This guy has shown there to be strong correlations between Nic cage movies and the number of people who died by drowning in their swimming pools (67%), and the consumption of cheese and death by bedsheet entanglement (a whopping 95% !!) amongst others :)

Enjoy.
    Alex

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Almost everyone understands that correlation is not causality.

But, as you all know, there is a big difference between correlating a bunch of random variables together, and, doing cross-sectional studies, longitudinal studies, and identifying the biochemical mechanisms at work that are causing something to happen.

These graphs and maps seem to be a kind of Rorschach test for how conservative someone is. :cool:

Here is another one. I'm not sure which way conservatives lean on this one. Help me out.

[​IMG]

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Holy crap, nearly five hours a day? I don't think I'm even at home and awake that many minutes a day, at least not during the work week! :eek:

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Easy:

Lack of universal healthcare and/or unfettered access to guns causes excess TV viewing. It's obvious.

15. FreemanW macrumors 6502

The proliferation of guns causes unhealthy eating and excessive television viewing.

Thanks Obama

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The US is clearly an outlier here. Seems that it isn't clear if the data is this for public or private health care? The US have a booming health related economy, and if buying an iWatch counts towards those guy at :apple: will enter another goldmine.

----------

That was kind of fun until I realized that the graphs have two Y axis one for each variable.